Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd)

Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Buying Higher Class of Service Than Ticketed
"Effective December 19, 2012, AA will waive the ticket change charge if customer purchases into a higher cabin (business or first), regardless of booking inventory, on the same routing/same day*. For example, no changes to origin/destination except the change to cabin/flight time is allowed with no ticket change charge. Customer would be responsible for paying the difference in fares. The non-refundable portion of the ticket remains non-refundable and would be handled internally by Refunds when necessary."

- AA Revenue Tickets, Ticket Change

Unlike an upgrade, earnings in EQM etc. should be for the new fare.
*This includes co-terminals as allowed in the detailed fare rules or elsewhere.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
There is no change fee (just the fare difference) to switch to a higher cabin (see below.) But it sounds like the OP might be combining/confusing a few different things.

\
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 4, 2009, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA

Is there a fee you can pay to upgrade the code on your fare? If so how does this work and what does it cost? Is there any info I can read on this?
236Dakota likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 8:02 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you looking to upfare your economy ticket (i.e. stay in economy) or upgrade to business or first?
Old Nov 4, 2009, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Ha ha No I am talking about buying a change to the code on the flight not buying 500 mile upgrades for first class. Like from a code fare O to V. Sorry if I did not explain my question properly
Old Nov 4, 2009, 8:04 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BN2B
Ha ha No I am talking about buying a change to the code on the flight not buying 500 mile upgrades for first class. Like from a code fare O to V. Sorry if I did not explain my question properly
To upfare you need to call AA directly.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Is there any way of knowing what the cost will be to do this? Or you just have to call and try your luck?
Old Nov 4, 2009, 8:14 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there any way of knowing what the cost will be to do this? Or you just have to call and try your luck?
You can use a tool like www.expertflyer.com to research fare buckets and availability.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the gem of info.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 1:44 am

Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt
Usually people will put a reservation on hold on aa.com and then call in to Reservations with the PNR and as for the upfare. If it's already ticketed, I'm not sure if they'll charge you a fee.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:45 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I tried to upfare Q -> N on an LAX-NRT a few weeks ago (shortly before eVIPs were allowed on Q fares, arg) and was told it was a $250 change fee, plus fare difference (I was already ticketed). I didn't bother. As was just mentioned, putting it on hold and calling before ticketing is the way to go.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 1:25 pm

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the value in changing the code? Is this just meant to help your chances in getting a comp upgrade on a flight? What is the value of upgrading the code vs. eVIP (assuming you have them) or using miles and paying the fee?

Anyone?
Old Nov 5, 2009, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by dbart
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the value in changing the code? Is this just meant to help your chances in getting a comp upgrade on a flight? What is the value of upgrading the code vs. eVIP (assuming you have them) or using miles and paying the fee?

Anyone?
Might be useful if the OP is doing a challenge. O would earn 0.5 EQP/mile, while V would earn 1.0 EQP/mile. That would be my guess.

But, since the OP gave so few details, it's hard to say why...
Old Nov 5, 2009, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by miamigrad
Might be useful if the OP is doing a challenge. O would earn 0.5 EQP/mile, while V would earn 1.0 EQP/mile. That would be my guess.

Make sense. Thanks.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 4:08 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Ahh, good catch, miamigrad! That's the only thing that makes sense now that all fares are upgradeable.

BN2B, here is the key thread on how to specify fare codes in the ITA search engine so you can find out how much your upfare is going to cost. It's also still linked as a historical thread from this FAQ entry.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...-code-ita.html
Old Nov 5, 2009, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by miamigrad

Originally Posted by dbart
Make sense. Thanks.
Or perhaps wishing to apply the miles earned to another OW partner - fare codes can mean the difference between no credit and full credit!
Old Nov 5, 2009, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, AS MVP Gold. Happily ex-1K, ex-Exec Plat, ex-DL Diamond for 5 years each
Given all the legacy carriers recent predisposition to nickel-and-diming, they'll probably charge you the change fee (which technically they can).

Two or so years ago, I had an agent do this and waive the fee (but only after I asked, and only on the 2nd agent). Putting the res on hold (as was mentioned) is the way to go. Explain up front that you're willing to pay the fare difference...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.