Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)

Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Business Extra Program (master thread)

Historical Notes
  • October 5th, 2021: New award types introduced: BXL1 for Platinum status and BXP0 to convert Business Extra points to AA miles at a 1:6 rate. New requirement introduced to redeem: Starting January 1, 2023, current members will be required to have three unique travelers and maintain $5,000 in qualifying Business Extra flight activity during the previous 12-month period to redeem points.This policy will go into effect immediately for new members who join the program on October 4, 2021 or later.
  • Feb 2018 - BXP1, BXP2, BXP3 Upgrade Certificates can be redeemed electronically, without the need to redeem or submit paper certificates. [URL="https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29470237-post1150.html"[/url]
  • Dec 2015 - Unannounced more-restrictive changes to BXP upgrade certificates implemented. [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/898180-business-extra-program-master-thread-consolidated.html#post25942133"[/url]
  • Nov 2015 - Europe AA Business Extra closed and migrated to AA-BA-IB On Business [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-combined-airline-program/1715008-aa-ba-ib-europe-business-programme-nov-30-2015-ex-business-extra-europe.html"[/url]
  • Oct 2014 - Business Extra Awards may be redeemed for flights on US Airways
  • Sep 2013 - Business ExtrAA brand changed to simply Business Extra
  • Sep 2012 - Upgrade Awards are no longer restricted to use within 30 days of travel [url=http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19345217-post394.html[/url]

Key Information
  • Promotion Codes - For a current list of Business ExtrAA promotions, see: Business ExtrAA Bonus Offers (consolidated)

• Point Expiration - Business Extra points expire on a rolling basis, two years after the year in which they are earned, on December 31 at midnight U.S. Central Time. Their validity can not be extended.

• Award Redemption - All awards must be redeemed via the Business Extra website. Flight Awards are delivered electronically via email with an Electronic Authorization Number. Upgrade Awards and Admirals Club Day Passes are delivered in paper certificate form via regular mail. Redemption sweeps occur twice per week and expedited delivery is available if you provide your FedEx/UPS account number via email. Gold Status and Admirals Club Membership awards are processed and active in the member's account after approximately one week, with other membership materials delivered in the mail within 4 weeks.

Note: BE awards must be booked on nonstop flights if they are available between your origin and destination.

• Award Inventory Codes - Per Meeting Services, Business Extra Awards book into the following inventory (although there are conflicting reports from mvoight and InsipidMonkey on whether or not this information is accurate for PlanAAhead Awards, for which availability may be significantly less than MileSAAver Award and/or T inventory availability):Award Type Books Into
    PlanAAhead - Economy T
    PlanAAhead - Business* U
    PlanAAhead - First Z

AAnytime - Economy Y
    AAnytime - Business* J
    AAnytime - First F

Upgrade to Business* C
    Upgrade to First A

* = First class cabin on 2-class flights
    = First class cabin on 3-class flights

• Flight Award Reservations - Award Tickets must be booked through AA Meeting Services at 1-800-433-1790 (U.S. and Canada; others contact your local reservations office), and you will need to provide the Reservations Agent with the Electronic Authorization Number from your award certificate. As of Oct 2012, flight awards can be booked without a telephone booking service charge.

• Flight Award Expiration - As published on the Business Extra website, Award Tickets must be booked within one year of redeeming the certificate, and are then valid for one year from booking:

Award ticket must be issued by midnight one year from the original award redemption date. Tickets issued against Business Extra flight awards are then valid for one year from the ticket issue date.
  • Upgrade Award Reservations - Upgrade Awards may be applied once a reservation is Ticketed by calling AA Meeting Services or using the Business Extra website. Once requested online you will receive an email with a confirmation number and serial numbers for each upgrade certificate requested.

Upgrade Awards carry fare restrictions (excludes B, N, O, Q or S fares). Take careful note of your fare when making a reservation. It is possible to "Upfare" a reservation from the lowest available fare to an BXP-upgrade-eligible fare by placing it on Hold at AA.com, calling AA to request the desired higher fare basis code, then completing the purchase online.

You can specify ITA searches that exclude the ineligible fares as follows:jfk:: aa /f ~bc = b & ~bc = n & ~bc = o & ~bc = q & ~bc = s

(Or you can place everything after the slash directly in the second advanced control box.)

These filters can also be concatenated with other commands, such as maximum duration, separated with a semicolon:jfk:: aa /maxdur 800 ; f ~bc = b & ~bc = n & ~bc = o & ~bc = q & ~bc = s

• Upgrade Award Expiration - Electronic BXP Upgrade Awards are valid for 1 year from redemption. Previously, paper Upgrade Awards were valid thru Jun 30 or Dec 31 of the following year, with the exact date depending on the batch of certificates available at the time of redemption.

• Returning Unused Awards - Points redeemed for awards but not yet applied to a ticket can be returned for no charge by using the 'returns' option in your account options. Points will be reinstated with an expiration date 2 calendar years from reinstatement (i.e., expiring on December 31 two calendar years from reinstatement). For awards already applied to a ticket, you must call Business ExtrAA customer services at 800-457-7072, or email [email protected]. Customers outside the US should use the email.
  • Business Extra Account Credit - A Business Extra number can be added to an existing reservation (for example, booked by a third-party travel agent) by calling AA Meeting Services.

A Business Extra number can be added to an existing BA reservation as follows:
    1. Go to www.britishairways.com
    2. Select 'Manage My Booking' tab
    3. Follow the instructions to pull up your reservation
    4. Select the link towards bottom listed under 'Quick Links' 'Add On Business or Business Extra number'
    5. Add your Business Extra number and check the box to give your consent.

Retroactive credit for completed travel can be requested via the Business Extra website.

• Contact Business Extra

Web home page: https://www.businessextra.com

Booking and Ticketing (Meeting Services desk)
    www.aa.com
    1-800-433-1790 5:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight (CT) 7 days a week

Business Extra Customer Service
    1-800-457-7072 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (CT) Monday - Friday
    Fax: 1-817-931-9029
    E-mail: [email protected]

Link to aa.com BE contact web form
    http://www.aa.com/contactAA/viewEmai...businessExtrAA

Link to BE web contact form

Note: older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: Business Extra Program master thread (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)

Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Alex_I
correct! Even if you let say lapse your AA Club membership by a month, the renewal will be backdated. Let say your membership expired Jan.3 2018 and you have ordered renewal on Jan 30 2018. Your new membership will be valid through Jan. 3 2019.
Are you sure about that?

If you let your membership lapse, you can't get in Jan 4 and beyond. If they backdated, you would not get a full year membership. Way back we used to let it slip for a few months if it worked out travel wise. Always started back up the day we signed up. No backdating. But this was several years ago, before cc membership.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Global321
Are you sure about that?

If you let your membership lapse, you can't get in Jan 4 and beyond. If they backdated, you would not get a full year membership. Way back we used to let it slip for a few months if it worked out travel wise. Always started back up the day we signed up. No backdating. But this was several years ago, before cc membership.
The cutoff for backdating is 30 days. I know because I've done it both ways, and asked about it. I didn't WANT it to get backdated, but because my club renewal was inside 30 days, they backdated it. I ended up speaking with Admirals Club on the phone along with Business Extraa staff and while I got what I wanted eventually, they all said next time be sure and wait 30 days if you DON'T want it to be backdated. Yes I've paid for it with BE points, miles, cash and credit cards.
Global321 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:22 am
amm

Originally Posted by amm
Apologies if this is in the thread -- did a quick search and didn't find anything.

If I've done my math right, I'll have enough points to redeem for a year long Admirals Club membership when all my January flights are credited to my BE account in a few days. If I redeem the 3k points, does anyone know how long that takes to be reflected on my account and when I could start taking advantage of it? I have some travel scheduled for the end of February and it'd be nice to start taking advantage right away (and ugh, I didn't even mean to make that pun sorry).

Thanks!
And I'm a dummy -- when you go to redeem your points, the website says you may have access to the club within 7 days of redemption with the card mailed within 3-4 weeks. Here's to hoping January points getting posted soon!
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by Global321
Are you sure about that?
- I did this once or twice in the past but my lapse was <1 month (as in the example in my post). Both time my membership was renewed using the original enrollment date and I still have "Member since 2012" on my membership card. I am sure that if you skip the club for a few months, they would have to start the new enrollment. One should try this with the membership using Business Extraa points because the cost of first time enrollment and renewal is the same. I would try it again but I don't have many gaps in my travel schedule!
Global321 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Hi guys, I searched through other posts but wanted to get some recent data points if any. Has had anyone had a recent experience with wait listing a BXP1 upgrade request? I have a LAX-MIA-AUA flight that is eligible for one of these upgrades. MIA-AUA C space is available but LAX-MIA is not. I have heard that if the BXP1 upgrade doesn't clear the wait list prior to airport control that the upgrade can be completely lost and unrecoverable.

Also, I presume that BXP1 upgrades now clear with the same priority level as SWU/Miles+copay?

Thanks,
Brad
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by bradfrancini
Hi guys, I searched through other posts but wanted to get some recent data points if any. Has had anyone had a recent experience with wait listing a BXP1 upgrade request? I have a LAX-MIA-AUA flight that is eligible for one of these upgrades. MIA-AUA C space is available but LAX-MIA is not. I have heard that if the BXP1 upgrade doesn't clear the wait list prior to airport control that the upgrade can be completely lost and unrecoverable.

Also, I presume that BXP1 upgrades now clear with the same priority level as SWU/Miles+copay?

Thanks,
Brad
Each BXP1 is good for one segment only, so a LAX-MIA-AUA itinerary would take 2 certificates. Where did you hear that if a BXP1 doesn't clear then it's unrecoverable? That is incorrect. For example, you can redeem for 2 certificates for this trip, if the LAX-MIA flight doesn't clear, then you can use that certificate for another flight in the future up till it's expiry date.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Each BXP1 is good for one segment only, so a LAX-MIA-AUA itinerary would take 2 certificates. Where did you hear that if a BXP1 doesn't clear then it's unrecoverable? That is incorrect. For example, you can redeem for 2 certificates for this trip, if the LAX-MIA flight doesn't clear, then you can use that certificate for another flight in the future up till it's expiry date.
Hi JJeffrey, apologies for my confusing wording. What I had heard was that if the upgrade doesn't clear prior to going to airport control that the upgrade request falls off entirely and is not transferred over to the airport list. In other words, if you don't clear before T-4 or whatever, you're not going to get the upgrade.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Quick question. I'm flying today and used a BXP1 months ago to upgrade. In the past I always had to check in at the airport. Low and behold today they app let me check in. I have a mobile boarding pass and also a printed one. I've never been able to do this....has this ever happened to anyone else? I usually find when there is an anomaly...even one that is in my favor, when it comes to airplane tickets it usually means something is screwed up.

Everything looks correct. I called a few days after the upgrades were cleared and they confirmed the upgrades were processed correctly, tickets reissued, and indeed have seats in 1st. I'd rather just go straight thru security and hand over the BXP1's to the gate agent/admirals club agent if I can, versus standing in the check-in line. That can be a pain on a Friday afternoon at O'hare.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
happened to us last week in Hawaii. I just had to give them the coupon when we gave them our boarding pass...
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:09 am

switching at least bxp1 to electronic instead of paper...
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by 869
switching at least bxp1 to electronic instead of paper...
That's great except for the few times they fail to collect them. All in all I would prefer the electronic version and not have to hassle it with it.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by davidsc111
That's great except for the few times they fail to collect them. All in all I would prefer the electronic version and not have to hassle it with it.
Yeah, I think double use was one major cause for working on the switch. I'll be happy when you can just call in and redeem, though.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Speaking with meeting services now. Apparently they had a procedure change a few days ago and BXP1 certificates are now electronic!
Not sure if they still need to collect the paper ones from the past
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
That must be new. I received a paper BXP1 just earlier this month.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
They stopped doing paper voucher on February 1st, maybe they are doing the same thing with Business ExtrAA certificates?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.