Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)

Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Business Extra Program (master thread)

Historical Notes
  • October 5th, 2021: New award types introduced: BXL1 for Platinum status and BXP0 to convert Business Extra points to AA miles at a 1:6 rate. New requirement introduced to redeem: Starting January 1, 2023, current members will be required to have three unique travelers and maintain $5,000 in qualifying Business Extra flight activity during the previous 12-month period to redeem points.This policy will go into effect immediately for new members who join the program on October 4, 2021 or later.
  • Feb 2018 - BXP1, BXP2, BXP3 Upgrade Certificates can be redeemed electronically, without the need to redeem or submit paper certificates. [URL="https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29470237-post1150.html"[/url]
  • Dec 2015 - Unannounced more-restrictive changes to BXP upgrade certificates implemented. [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/898180-business-extra-program-master-thread-consolidated.html#post25942133"[/url]
  • Nov 2015 - Europe AA Business Extra closed and migrated to AA-BA-IB On Business [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-combined-airline-program/1715008-aa-ba-ib-europe-business-programme-nov-30-2015-ex-business-extra-europe.html"[/url]
  • Oct 2014 - Business Extra Awards may be redeemed for flights on US Airways
  • Sep 2013 - Business ExtrAA brand changed to simply Business Extra
  • Sep 2012 - Upgrade Awards are no longer restricted to use within 30 days of travel [url=http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19345217-post394.html[/url]

Key Information
  • Promotion Codes - For a current list of Business ExtrAA promotions, see: Business ExtrAA Bonus Offers (consolidated)

• Point Expiration - Business Extra points expire on a rolling basis, two years after the year in which they are earned, on December 31 at midnight U.S. Central Time. Their validity can not be extended.

• Award Redemption - All awards must be redeemed via the Business Extra website. Flight Awards are delivered electronically via email with an Electronic Authorization Number. Upgrade Awards and Admirals Club Day Passes are delivered in paper certificate form via regular mail. Redemption sweeps occur twice per week and expedited delivery is available if you provide your FedEx/UPS account number via email. Gold Status and Admirals Club Membership awards are processed and active in the member's account after approximately one week, with other membership materials delivered in the mail within 4 weeks.

Note: BE awards must be booked on nonstop flights if they are available between your origin and destination.

• Award Inventory Codes - Per Meeting Services, Business Extra Awards book into the following inventory (although there are conflicting reports from mvoight and InsipidMonkey on whether or not this information is accurate for PlanAAhead Awards, for which availability may be significantly less than MileSAAver Award and/or T inventory availability):Award Type Books Into
    PlanAAhead - Economy T
    PlanAAhead - Business* U
    PlanAAhead - First Z

AAnytime - Economy Y
    AAnytime - Business* J
    AAnytime - First F

Upgrade to Business* C
    Upgrade to First A

* = First class cabin on 2-class flights
    = First class cabin on 3-class flights

• Flight Award Reservations - Award Tickets must be booked through AA Meeting Services at 1-800-433-1790 (U.S. and Canada; others contact your local reservations office), and you will need to provide the Reservations Agent with the Electronic Authorization Number from your award certificate. As of Oct 2012, flight awards can be booked without a telephone booking service charge.

• Flight Award Expiration - As published on the Business Extra website, Award Tickets must be booked within one year of redeeming the certificate, and are then valid for one year from booking:

Award ticket must be issued by midnight one year from the original award redemption date. Tickets issued against Business Extra flight awards are then valid for one year from the ticket issue date.
  • Upgrade Award Reservations - Upgrade Awards may be applied once a reservation is Ticketed by calling AA Meeting Services or using the Business Extra website. Once requested online you will receive an email with a confirmation number and serial numbers for each upgrade certificate requested.

Upgrade Awards carry fare restrictions (excludes B, N, O, Q or S fares). Take careful note of your fare when making a reservation. It is possible to "Upfare" a reservation from the lowest available fare to an BXP-upgrade-eligible fare by placing it on Hold at AA.com, calling AA to request the desired higher fare basis code, then completing the purchase online.

You can specify ITA searches that exclude the ineligible fares as follows:jfk:: aa /f ~bc = b & ~bc = n & ~bc = o & ~bc = q & ~bc = s

(Or you can place everything after the slash directly in the second advanced control box.)

These filters can also be concatenated with other commands, such as maximum duration, separated with a semicolon:jfk:: aa /maxdur 800 ; f ~bc = b & ~bc = n & ~bc = o & ~bc = q & ~bc = s

• Upgrade Award Expiration - Electronic BXP Upgrade Awards are valid for 1 year from redemption. Previously, paper Upgrade Awards were valid thru Jun 30 or Dec 31 of the following year, with the exact date depending on the batch of certificates available at the time of redemption.

• Returning Unused Awards - Points redeemed for awards but not yet applied to a ticket can be returned for no charge by using the 'returns' option in your account options. Points will be reinstated with an expiration date 2 calendar years from reinstatement (i.e., expiring on December 31 two calendar years from reinstatement). For awards already applied to a ticket, you must call Business ExtrAA customer services at 800-457-7072, or email [email protected]. Customers outside the US should use the email.
  • Business Extra Account Credit - A Business Extra number can be added to an existing reservation (for example, booked by a third-party travel agent) by calling AA Meeting Services.

A Business Extra number can be added to an existing BA reservation as follows:
    1. Go to www.britishairways.com
    2. Select 'Manage My Booking' tab
    3. Follow the instructions to pull up your reservation
    4. Select the link towards bottom listed under 'Quick Links' 'Add On Business or Business Extra number'
    5. Add your Business Extra number and check the box to give your consent.

Retroactive credit for completed travel can be requested via the Business Extra website.

• Contact Business Extra

Web home page: https://www.businessextra.com

Booking and Ticketing (Meeting Services desk)
    www.aa.com
    1-800-433-1790 5:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight (CT) 7 days a week

Business Extra Customer Service
    1-800-457-7072 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (CT) Monday - Friday
    Fax: 1-817-931-9029
    E-mail: [email protected]

Link to aa.com BE contact web form
    http://www.aa.com/contactAA/viewEmai...businessExtrAA

Link to BE web contact form

Note: older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: Business Extra Program master thread (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)

Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by mvoight
I would like to thank whoever is using my BE number when booking tickets.
This hasn't happened recently, but awhile back I was getting credit from people I did not know.
Can we get more folks to use my organization's BE number please? We could use some BXP3s.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by billgrates3
Can we get more folks to use my organization's BE number please? We could use some BXP3s.
unfortunately you can't solicit people to use your BE number. it's against the Terms & Conditions.

I'd love to recruit more travelers for my company but we just can't do it and stay compliant.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:30 pm

Flight change after applying BXP1

Hi there, I tried searching but couldn't find an answer to this, though I am sure it must have been asked in the past. If I apply a BXP1 upgrade to a reservation and then do a same day confirmed flight change, what happens to the upgrade? Am I considered a F passenger and it is carried over to the new flight regardless of C space? Or am I downgraded back to Y? If the latter, does the BXP1 cert get refunded/returned?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by onfo
Hi there, I tried searching but couldn't find an answer to this, though I am sure it must have been asked in the past. If I apply a BXP1 upgrade to a reservation and then do a same day confirmed flight change, what happens to the upgrade? Am I considered a F passenger and it is carried over to the new flight regardless of C space? Or am I downgraded back to Y? If the latter, does the BXP1 cert get refunded/returned?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
I think it may be up to the GA. If there is space available, I have gotten SDFC from an upgrade F to F, and also F back to Y with or without space available. Here is a snippet from the T and C.
  • American Airlines is not responsible for the cancellation of award reservations or changes to any award travel plans made by members.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 11:00 am

Hi everyone,
Sorry if the question has already been asked but do you know if activation of the 1-year Admirals Club membership usualy takes less than 7-days ? I'm traveling next saturday and I'm wondering if I would get the membership for that date. Business extra's website says it usualy takes a week or so but I find it a bit long for an "electronic" activation, and I couldn't find any comments on activation time.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by canadou
Hi everyone,
Sorry if the question has already been asked but do you know if activation of the 1-year Admirals Club membership usualy takes less than 7-days ? I'm traveling next saturday and I'm wondering if I would get the membership for that date. Business extra's website says it usualy takes a week or so but I find it a bit long for an "electronic" activation, and I couldn't find any comments on activation time.
- Take a printout and simply ask at the Club if the activation propagated already.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: Alaska MVP
Upgrading an award ticket using a BXP1

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't seem to find it. I recently booked an award ticket, using AA miles, to fly business class from JFK to LAX. I tried to use a BXP1 to upgrade - there was ample A space available - but was told it's not possible to upgrade an award ticket. Obviously, U class isn't listed as one of the fare classes ineligibly for upgrades, and before calling, I scoured the Business Extra site and found nothing prohibiting upgrading award tickets.

So could someone help me: is it truly prohibited to upgrade a U class award ticket using BXP1? Or did I just have a bad agent?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Hoosier1710
I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't seem to find it. I recently booked an award ticket, using AA miles, to fly business class from JFK to LAX. I tried to use a BXP1 to upgrade - there was ample A space available - but was told it's not possible to upgrade an award ticket. Obviously, U class isn't listed as one of the fare classes ineligibly for upgrades, and before calling, I scoured the Business Extra site and found nothing prohibiting upgrading award tickets.

So could someone help me: is it truly prohibited to upgrade a U class award ticket using BXP1? Or did I just have a bad agent?
Straight from the T&Cs for BXP1 on the BE site
"Award cannot be combined with any other coupon, discount, promotional offer, AAdvantage award, or Business Extra award"
https://businessextra.com/awards/toc.htm?awardId=10
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by mvoight
Straight from the T&Cs for BXP1 on the BE site
"Award cannot be combined with any other coupon, discount, promotional offer, AAdvantage award, or Business Extra award"
https://businessextra.com/awards/toc.htm?awardId=10
My eyes must have hopefully glanced over the "AAdvantage award" part. Thanks
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
How long does it normally take for flights to post to the business extra account?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
BXP3's

Are BXP3's good for up to 3 segments similar to SWUs or miles/copay upgrades?

The terms for BXP1's clearly state they're good for one segment only, but I cant find any segment limit language in the terms for BXP3's.

Been a few years since I used a BXP3, hoping it will cover my domestic connecting flight as well.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by miadukes
How long does it normally take for flights to post to the business extra account?
Flights from the previous month post around the 15th of the current month, give or take a few days. So flights from March should be posting around now.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Are BXP3's good for up to 3 segments similar to SWUs or miles/copay upgrades?

The terms for BXP1's clearly state they're good for one segment only, but I cant find any segment limit language in the terms for BXP3's.

Been a few years since I used a BXP3, hoping it will cover my domestic connecting flight as well.
I thought it was good for connecting segments... You might try calling Meeting Services as they are the people who apply the upgrades
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mangoMan
Flights from the previous month post around the 15th of the current month, give or take a few days. So flights from March should be posting around now.
Which was an excellent reminder to check. I just realized AA rounds up
For my March 29 flight LAS-DFW - Have to wait another month for the return, from April 2
118.14 / 5 = 24 points (5*24=120)
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Can you earn Business Extra points while crediting (a BA flight) to British Airways Executive Club?
I'm booking for an associate who want to use their BA status on the flight. Also, trying to add PELAUNCH to get double PE miles but the promo registration page asks for an AAdvantage number.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.