Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Business Extra® Program (master thread)

Historical Notes
  • October 5th, 2021: New award types introduced: BXL1 for Platinum status and BXP0 to convert Business Extra points to AA miles at a 1:6 rate. New requirement introduced to redeem: Starting January 1, 2023, current members will be required to have three unique travelers and maintain $5,000 in qualifying Business Extra flight activity during the previous 12-month period to redeem points.This policy will go into effect immediately for new members who join the program on October 4, 2021 or later.
  • Feb 2018 - BXP1, BXP2, BXP3 Upgrade Certificates can be redeemed electronically, without the need to redeem or submit paper certificates. [URL="https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29470237-post1150.html"[/url]
  • Dec 2015 - Unannounced more-restrictive changes to BXP upgrade certificates implemented. [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/898180-business-extra-program-master-thread-consolidated.html#post25942133"[/url]
  • Nov 2015 - Europe AA Business Extra closed and migrated to AA-BA-IB On Business [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-combined-airline-program/1715008-aa-ba-ib-europe-business-programme-nov-30-2015-ex-business-extra-europe.html"[/url]
  • Oct 2014 - Business Extra Awards may be redeemed for flights on US Airways
  • Sep 2013 - Business ExtrAA brand changed to simply Business Extra
  • Sep 2012 - Upgrade Awards are no longer restricted to use within 30 days of travel [url=http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19345217-post394.html[/url]

Key Information
  • Promotion Codes - For a current list of Business ExtrAA promotions, see: Business ExtrAA Bonus Offers (consolidated)

• Point Expiration - Business Extra points expire on a rolling basis, two years after the year in which they are earned, on December 31 at midnight U.S. Central Time. Their validity can not be extended.

• Award Redemption - All awards must be redeemed via the Business Extra website. Flight Awards are delivered electronically via email with an Electronic Authorization Number. Upgrade Awards and Admirals Club Day Passes are delivered in paper certificate form via regular mail. Redemption sweeps occur twice per week and expedited delivery is available if you provide your FedEx/UPS account number via email. Gold Status and Admirals Club Membership awards are processed and active in the member's account after approximately one week, with other membership materials delivered in the mail within 4 weeks.

Note: BE awards must be booked on nonstop flights if they are available between your origin and destination.

• Award Inventory Codes - Per Meeting Services, Business Extra Awards book into the following inventory (although there are conflicting reports from mvoight and InsipidMonkey on whether or not this information is accurate for PlanAAhead Awards, for which availability may be significantly less than MileSAAver Award and/or T inventory availability):Award Type Books Into
    PlanAAhead - Economy T
    PlanAAhead - Business* U
    PlanAAhead - First† Z

AAnytime - Economy Y
    AAnytime - Business* J
    AAnytime - First† F

Upgrade to Business* C
    Upgrade to First† A

* = First class cabin on 2-class flights
    † = First class cabin on 3-class flights

• Flight Award Reservations - Award Tickets must be booked through AA Meeting Services at 1-800-433-1790 (U.S. and Canada; others contact your local reservations office), and you will need to provide the Reservations Agent with the Electronic Authorization Number from your award certificate. As of Oct 2012, flight awards can be booked without a telephone booking service charge.

• Flight Award Expiration - As published on the Business Extra website, Award Tickets must be booked within one year of redeeming the certificate, and are then valid for one year from booking:

Award ticket must be issued by midnight one year from the original award redemption date. Tickets issued against Business Extra flight awards are then valid for one year from the ticket issue date.
  • Upgrade Award Reservations - Upgrade Awards may be applied once a reservation is Ticketed by calling AA Meeting Services or using the Business Extra website. Once requested online you will receive an email with a confirmation number and serial numbers for each upgrade certificate requested.

Upgrade Awards carry fare restrictions (excludes B, N, O, Q or S fares). Take careful note of your fare when making a reservation. It is possible to "Upfare" a reservation from the lowest available fare to an BXP-upgrade-eligible fare by placing it on Hold at AA.com, calling AA to request the desired higher fare basis code, then completing the purchase online.

You can specify ITA searches that exclude the ineligible fares as follows:jfk:: aa /f ~bc = b & ~bc = n & ~bc = o & ~bc = q & ~bc = s

(Or you can place everything after the slash directly in the second advanced control box.)

These filters can also be concatenated with other commands, such as maximum duration, separated with a semicolon:jfk:: aa /maxdur 800 ; f ~bc = b & ~bc = n & ~bc = o & ~bc = q & ~bc = s

• Upgrade Award Expiration - Electronic BXP Upgrade Awards are valid for 1 year from redemption. Previously, paper Upgrade Awards were valid thru Jun 30 or Dec 31 of the following year, with the exact date depending on the batch of certificates available at the time of redemption.

• Returning Unused Awards - Points redeemed for awards but not yet applied to a ticket can be returned for no charge by using the 'returns' option in your account options. Points will be reinstated with an expiration date 2 calendar years from reinstatement (i.e., expiring on December 31 two calendar years from reinstatement). For awards already applied to a ticket, you must call Business ExtrAA customer services at 800-457-7072, or email [email protected]. Customers outside the US should use the email.
  • Business Extra Account Credit - A Business Extra number can be added to an existing reservation (for example, booked by a third-party travel agent) by calling AA Meeting Services.

A Business Extra number can be added to an existing BA reservation as follows:
    1. Go to www.britishairways.com
    2. Select 'Manage My Booking' tab
    3. Follow the instructions to pull up your reservation
    4. Select the link towards bottom listed under 'Quick Links' 'Add On Business or Business Extra number'
    5. Add your Business Extra number and check the box to give your consent.

Retroactive credit for completed travel can be requested via the Business Extra website.

• Contact Business Extra

Web home page: https://www.businessextra.com

Booking and Ticketing (Meeting Services desk)
    www.aa.com
    1-800-433-1790 5:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight (CT) 7 days a week

Business Extra Customer Service
    1-800-457-7072 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (CT) Monday - Friday
    Fax: 1-817-931-9029
    E-mail: [email protected]

Link to aa.com BE contact web form
    http://www.aa.com/contactAA/viewEmai...businessExtrAA

Link to BE web contact form

Note: older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: Business Extra Program master thread (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2020, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by txpenny
Agree with this.

I'm going to end the year with points expiring that I probably won't be able to use.
Today I received an email indicating awards booked by May 31 can be redeposited
So, if an award is booked, canceled, and redeposited, would that extend the points?
diver858 likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
Today I received an email indicating awards booked by May 31 can be redeposited
So, if an award is booked, canceled, and redeposited, would that extend the points?
I got the same email. I had some points that were due to expire last year so I redeemed for an upgrade that expires in 12/20. It is not clear to me whether I'm eligible for a redeposit and even if I am it's not clear what the status of the points would be. Not a huge issue -- I still have until December, but I'd obviously rather have nonexpired points if it is an option for me.
Old May 14, 2020, 8:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Still no extension for points expiry.
Old May 15, 2020, 9:49 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I returned a ticketed flight award and a BXP3 yesterday in a simple, 5 minute phone call without cost.
Old May 16, 2020, 1:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Markie
I returned a ticketed flight award and a BXP3 yesterday in a simple, 5 minute phone call without cost.
Since 90% of the content on this forum is complaints about American it's only fair to point out that my experience was excellent too.

The flight got cancelled and they called me 3 times (and left messages). Since the flight was at the end of the month I procrastinated in getting back to them as I was dreading wating on hold forever. They called me a fourth time offering me a re-routing. I asked if I could cancel the trip, the rep said "sure". A couple of days later 2000 points were credited back to the Business Extraa account with an expiration date of 31 DEC 2022. The entire call was about 2 minutes.
alecheverry likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rj123456
Since 90% of the content on this forum is complaints about American it's only fair to point out that my experience was excellent too.

The flight got cancelled and they called me 3 times (and left messages). Since the flight was at the end of the month I procrastinated in getting back to them as I was dreading wating on hold forever. They called me a fourth time offering me a re-routing. I asked if I could cancel the trip, the rep said "sure". A couple of days later 2000 points were credited back to the Business Extraa account with an expiration date of 31 DEC 2022. The entire call was about 2 minutes.
I have never had an issue with getting a refund of miles, points, or dollars when the airline cancels a flight.
It would be nice of BE to extend the lifetime of the points which expire this year.
txpenny likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 9:43 pm

I have a JFK-LHR-CDG booked for July, with JFK-LHR on AA and LHR-CDG on BA metal BA code. I upgraded the JFK-LHR segment using a BXP3. Will I then get the business class checked bag allowance on both flights?
Old Jun 26, 2020, 11:46 pm

When your JFK-LHR upgrade was processed, AA should have provided you with a new eticket confirmation email with a new Baggage Information section. Did you receive that? What does it say about your baggage allowance? Those statements are quite clear about scope -- for example, it might say JFKLHR 2 checked bags or JFKCDG 2 checked bags. If the latter, it plainly encompasses your travel all the way to CDG.

As a practical matter, if you are on one ticket and one PNR, with a connection (not stopover, no overnight) in LHR, you'll check your bags at JFK all the way to CDG. So the JFK-LHR baggage allowance will apply.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 9:58 am

Thanks for your reply bedelman. I actually called AA last night to confirm and that's exactly what they told me, that the ticket should have been reissued and that they thought it was in progress. I have been asked to call Meeting Services back this morning to see if there is any pending action on my end. They told me that indeed the bag allowance should apply on the whole JFKLHRCDG and that's probably what I'll see on the new ticket. They also confirmed that practically speaking I will check my bags all the way through and that the JFK-LHR allowance should then apply.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 11:31 pm

When your eticket reissues and you receive an eticket confirmation email, you might double-check its baggage allowance and even post it here for others in a similar situation. Incidentally, I have seen some situations in which AA fails to provide a baggage allowance in an eticket confirmation email, both in new tickets and in reissues. That's specifically prohibited by both DOT rules and an enforcement order resulting from my prior administrative complaint against AA. If that issue arises here, I would be interested in including it in my growing documentation of further such violations by AA.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 12:29 am

I eventually called again this morning as advised by the AA rep yesterday, and that other person told me they wouldn't re-ticket after a Business Extra upgrade. Checked my inbox just in case and nothing came in today neither. Not really sure what to do here, don't quite like when multiple reps contradict each other, but was also told I had nothing more to do on my end so...

To your point I actually found pretty disturbing that the baggage allowance was not clearly displayed next to each flight in the confirmation email, or at least in the upper part somewhere. It is only after having dug a bit in the bottom of the email that I eventually found, in a light gray colored fare rules like paragraph, that the allowance was one bag (that was before the upgrade)
01 Piece/ American Airlines /EACH PIECE UP TO 50 POUNDS/23 KILOGRAMS AND UP TO 62 LINEAR INCHES/158 LINEAR CENTIMETERS
Was kind of surprised that they would bury that info so deep in the conditions. I actually even had to click 'display more' on Gmail to get to that point of the email. I guess it's probably not violating anything since it is here somewhere, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that some unfamiliar people got mixed-up because of that. I have the overhaul feeling that AA's information system has been getting pretty old lately.
Markie likes this.

Last edited by canadou; Jun 28, 2020 at 12:38 am
Old Jun 28, 2020, 2:00 am

Canadou, it sounds like your eticket hasn't been reissued and that's why your ticket still specifies the coach baggage allowance. I agree that AA may not reticket for a Businessextraa upgrade -- that has been my experience too. No reticket == no new baggage allowance in confirmation email.

You could call AA and ask what your baggage allowance is. Be sure your question is precisely worded and covers your entire journey JFK-LHR-CDG. Record the call, as permitted by AA's telephone system stating "this call may be recorded." If AA or BA charge you, use the recording to demand a refund.

As to the email placement of baggage information: "Display more" is a Gmail decision, hard for AA to influence one way or the other. Fine print, yes, and could & should be explained more clearly and frankly more concisely. I do not blame AA for Gmail making this even more difficult to show. Then again, if I worked for AA in IT, I would redesign the email confirmations so they did not trigger Display More truncation. Confident that I could do so including with attention to detail, brevity, duplication, and format. Alas, no one at AA seems to view this as a priority.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 8:03 pm

I think a new confirmation email would be the least they could do, but yes if they don't reissue the ticket I guess I'll just see at the airport and talk my way through this if necessary. Your are bringing up a good point, might record that call just in case. I wonder what is the 'official' policy on bags allowance when a flight is being upgraded, let's say I had a more complex itinerary with layovers or airport changes thus requiring me to re-check my bags, curious to know what's the official response in that case.

Got some interesting development here, LHRCDG has now been canceled, so I could take the next LHRCDG at the cost of a 7hours layover in LHR, or I could go through DFW and get to Paris at 9am. Unfortunately, no C inventory on DFWCDG. Now, the naive side of me thought AA would have been okay moving me to the DFWCDG and honor the upgrade since it was confirmed in the first place. But that unfortunately didn't happen. Also wonder what is the policy in case of cancelation/schedule changes for an upgraded flight...
Old Aug 22, 2020, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txpenny
Agree with this.

I'm going to end the year with points expiring that I probably won't be able to use.
Interesting discovery. I thought about upgrade awards, so I order 3 of them. I then changed my mind because I didn't want to be tied to the fare classes, and am just considering getting a ticket for someone using the points. A few weeks ago I had received an email saying upgrades, etc (not flights) can be redeposited by calling. Additionally, when I ordered I found out there was a 5 day period when you can normally return them without a fee. I just did that online and quickly the points were returned with the new expiration date. 12/31/22
Centurion and mangoMan like this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by mvoight
Additionally, when I ordered I found out there was a 5 day period when you can normally return them without a fee. I just did that online and quickly the points were returned with the new expiration date. 12/31/22
- we had to cancel BisenessExtrAA award flights at the last moment in July. The tickets were purchased with the certicates issued back in Dec 2019. As the result, the point were returned to the account with Dec 2022 expiration date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.