Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The "bonus" miles that you can select during the booking process at RM or BAAH credit as LP's.

Pretty much all other "bonus" miles from any other source do not count as LP's.
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
Yes. For RM and BAAH, the “pay more for miles” options all count as LPs.
Thanks guys. Now I really think I'm out of it, but please define BAAH and RM...
Old Feb 1, 2023, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
BAAH RM EWE!
BAAH RM EWE!
To your plane, your fleet, your crew be true!
Points accrue!
BAAH RM EWE!

-J.
richarddd and jb64 like this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
BAAH = www.bookaahotels.com
RM = www.rocketmiles.com

Earn AA points for hotel stays
Madison Guy likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 12:36 pm

Programs: B6 M4, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Does AA give upgrade offers to basic economy tickets? And when do upgrade offers start (T-?)
Old Feb 1, 2023, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
BAAH RM EWE!
BAAH RM EWE!
To your plane, your fleet, your crew be true!
Points accrue!
BAAH RM EWE!

-J.
Most useful. Thanks....
Old Feb 1, 2023, 8:03 pm

I was on an AA marketed JL operated flight which has now been cancelled. AA is currently looking for a rebooking option. Should I call in or wait for them to fix? How much leeway do i have to shift things around by at most a day? Do i have other options. CGK-NRT/HND-JFK is the route and they have cancelled the evening flight out of HND to JFK.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by hsumh316
I was on an AA marketed JL operated flight which has now been cancelled. AA is currently looking for a rebooking option. Should I call in or wait for them to fix? How much leeway do i have to shift things around by at most a day? Do i have other options. CGK-NRT/HND-JFK is the route and they have cancelled the evening flight out of HND to JFK.
Since this is a paid ticket you can be rebooked on pretty much any AA flight along with most partners, and since the flight was cancelled it should be no problem to shift things by a day or two (or maybe more).

Whenever schedule changes like this happen it's always in your best interest to take matters into your own hands, research other flight options then call AA and ask specifically for them. Do not rely on some agent who probably doesn't know where Jakarta is to give you your rebooking options.

Pro tip: it will be MUCH easier for an agent to rebook you and to get what you want if you can find AA flight codeshare flight numbers for whatever you ask for, even if the flights are operated by partner carriers.
hsumh316 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, whatever is saved on the Sky box
Flying on Saturday to the US and received the email about completing the attestation and contract tracing. Attestation was fine but contact tracing hangs on the address field saying "Please enter a valid address". Any combination of address, no characters, all upper case, all lower case etc return the same. I presume without this completed, OLCI will not be possible? I called AA customer services and they said they were aware of the issue (really?) and to try later but it's been like it a while now.

Secondly, flight is DUB-PHL-MIA (overnight) MIA-SJO the day after. Will I be able to retrieve cases at MIA or will they be checked through to SJO?

Last edited by sjc2679; Feb 2, 2023 at 5:28 am Reason: Typo
Old Feb 2, 2023, 6:39 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by lowkeyflyer
Does AA give upgrade offers to basic economy tickets? And when do upgrade offers start (T-?)
As a platinum pro, complimentary upgrades can be confirmed up to 72 hours in advance. If you don't clear, you will be put on the upgrade waitlist. You can view your position on the app starting 8 hours before the flight.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by sjc2679
Secondly, flight is DUB-PHL-MIA (overnight) MIA-SJO the day after. Will I be able to retrieve cases at MIA or will they be checked through to SJO?
When you check in at DUB, ask if the bags can be tagged to retrieve at MIA instead of SJO. Note: if your layover at MIA is more than 16 hours (used to be 12) they will be automatically tagged for MIA not SJO.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by Howard
If you have AA elite status and you book a US domestic flight operated by AA but sold as an AS-marketed codeshare flight, are you eligible for either (a) preferred or Main Cabin Extra seats or (b) complimentary upgrades?
I “believe“ seat privileges are reciprocal according to level of status. IIRC, in 2022, I was able to book “premium” seats at time of purchase with no added fee when flying on AS, once as a PE and once as an EXP. I have another flight coming up on AS and was again able to book “premium” seats at no charge. Premium = MCE. I believe AA gold may allow you to book Preferred at no charge at time of booking and switch to MCE for no charge, as available, closer to flight. If you are also in the AS program, I would assign your higher ranking loyalty number to the reservation (AS or AA). You can always book flight, see what seat options appear, and cancel within 24 hours if not satisfied.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 5:10 pm

Hello all, question on who is booking flights and their status benefits.
I am AA Platinum and when I book for me and my wife together, we are in the same boarding group and such. My wife has no status with AA. She will be going on a work trip to Europe and her company will let her book the flight, and reimburse her (so no corporate travel booking issues to deal with).
1. If she books for her and me together, will she get the Platinum boarding group, MCE, etc?
2. If we book separately, could I call AA and get them to give her the Platinum boarding with me, etc (like ask them to link the record locator)?
Just want to make sure she can get the benefits as she usually gets when I book flights. Thank you
Old Feb 2, 2023, 6:44 pm

I'm booking alaska airlines later this year. I see that the basic saver fare (X class) for $478. My understanding is that I won't be able to get a premium class or even the alaska airlines/one world elites seats since I booked the X class. Or, would I get premium class at T-48?

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth paying $78 more to book the main fare (N class) for $550 which would get me 25% more points anyways and a premium class selection immediately. What do yall think?

Thanks!
Old Feb 2, 2023, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by pilsn3r
Hello all, question on who is booking flights and their status benefits.
I am AA Platinum and when I book for me and my wife together, we are in the same boarding group and such. My wife has no status with AA. She will be going on a work trip to Europe and her company will let her book the flight, and reimburse her (so no corporate travel booking issues to deal with).
1. If she books for her and me together, will she get the Platinum boarding group, MCE, etc?
2. If we book separately, could I call AA and get them to give her the Platinum boarding with me, etc (like ask them to link the record locator)?
Just want to make sure she can get the benefits as she usually gets when I book flights. Thank you
Whoever books and/or pays for the flights is irrelevant, as long as you're on the same reservation it makes no difference.

If you're on separate reservations then it's no problem to call AA and get her seated next to you in preferred/MCE seats for no charge. She will not get your baggage allowance though, and her boarding group will be different but it's never a problem for her to board with you, just tell the GA you're together when your group is called.
pilsn3r likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, whatever is saved on the Sky box
OK, will try. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.