FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2063901-newbie-lounge-2022-2023-ask-aa-newbie-questions-here-flame-free-thread.html)

JDiver Dec 30, 2021 6:01 pm

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022:
Ask AA newbie questions here -
N.B. flame-free thread

EkekoBWI Dec 31, 2021 2:45 pm

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

I'm thinking of upgrading my seat on GRU-DFW from a middle seat in the back of 777-200ER red-eye flight to MCE or Premium Economy.
For MCE, as I understand it, the upgrade does not come with any free checked bags--it is simply about getting added pitch and free wifi. Correct?
For Premium Economy, the difference appears to be 2x free checked bags, expedited check-in, and in-flight amenities--can I call in and upgrade? Can it be paid in miles or (very dusty) gift certificate or must it be credit card?

...and are the 777-200ER bulkheads (row 17 and exit row 26) as bad as Seatguru makes them out to be?

TIA

estate Jan 1, 2022 11:14 am

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

I have OneWorld Emerald (BA Gold), and am looking to book a US domestic main-cabin award booking (booked via ba.com) using my BA Avios.
When setting up the booking it says I would have no checked luggage allowance for the JFK-MIA flight - I'm led to believe all award bookings on AA are hand-baggage only.

However, this page https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp seems to suggest that as a OWE, I'd have 3 checked bags free.

Could someone kindly confirm if I'll get free checked luggage for such a flight? Thanks

guv1976 Jan 1, 2022 11:33 am

Originally Posted by estate (Post 33861069)
I have OneWorld Emerald (BA Gold), and am looking to book a US domestic main-cabin award booking (booked via ba.com) using my BA Avios.
When setting up the booking it says I would have no checked luggage allowance for the JFK-MIA flight - I'm led to believe all award bookings on AA are hand-baggage only.

However, this page https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp seems to suggest that as a OWE, I'd have 3 checked bags free.

Could someone kindly confirm if I'll get free checked luggage for such a flight? Thanks

You will indeed get three free checked bags in Economy on AA, even though there is no free baggage included on AA Economy fares for non-status passengers. It is very different from BA's HBO policy.

DeepUnderground Jan 2, 2022 9:20 am

Is there a way to transfer 500 mile upgrades to others, other than having the check in agent do it? It is not possible to do from the kiosk in the airport, it only wanted me to buy them for my companion, while I had 86 of them available.

JJeffrey Jan 2, 2022 10:38 am

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground (Post 33863683)
Is there a way to transfer 500 mile upgrades to others, other than having the check in agent do it? It is not possible to do from the kiosk in the airport, it only wanted me to buy them for my companion, while I had 86 of them available.

No, you cannot transfer them from one account to another.

HiAperture Jan 2, 2022 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground (Post 33863683)

I am assuming your companion is flying on the same booking, has their own lower tier status, but none or not enough coupons? My understanding is if your companion has status the system will try to take 500 mile coupons from that companion's account. If the companion does not have status, they will come from YOUR account as sponsor.

This specifically happened to me and my daughter flying this past summer on the same PNR (she had gold status but 0 coupons and no one could explain why the system kept saying we didn't have enough coupons to upgrade when I had plenty in my account). In reading about it afterwards the best course of action would have been to remove my daughter's AAdvantage number from the booking (thus allowing me and my 500 mile coupons to sponsor her), and then request the missing miles after the flight for her account, or have the gate agent add back on the AAdvantage number after the upgrade cleared.

MADPhil Jan 2, 2022 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by estate (Post 33861069)

It usually shows up as no free bags but the fee for the first three bags is $0 each. A subtle distinction.

senatetalker33 Jan 2, 2022 7:00 pm

Not necessarily a newbie (just haven't posted in a long, long time) but feel I'd get flamed for this question.:) I've been PlatPro for the last few years and I recall at some point there was an exclusive email address for platpro (and subsequently all elite members) for customer service questions. I may be incorrectly remembering this and it may not exist but can anyone verify if these email addresses do exist (phone numbers as well)?

Thanks!

JJeffrey Jan 2, 2022 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by senatetalker33 (Post 33865281)
Not necessarily a newbie (just haven't posted in a long, long time) but feel I'd get flamed for this question.:) I've been PlatPro for the last few years and I recall at some point there was an exclusive email address for platpro (and subsequently all elite members) for customer service questions. I may be incorrectly remembering this and it may not exist but can anyone verify if these email addresses do exist (phone numbers as well)?

Thanks!

I think you are incorrectly remembering things. There has never been an elite only customer service email address or anything like that. For phone contacts you have the PLT Pro reservations number that will get you to the front of the queue but thats it.

DeepUnderground Jan 3, 2022 6:43 am

Originally Posted by HiAperture (Post 33864619)
I am assuming your companion is flying on the same booking, has their own lower tier status, but none or not enough coupons? My understanding is if your companion has status the system will try to take 500 mile coupons from that companion's account. If the companion does not have status, they will come from YOUR account as sponsor.

This specifically happened to me and my daughter flying this past summer on the same PNR (she had gold status but 0 coupons and no one could explain why the system kept saying we didn't have enough coupons to upgrade when I had plenty in my account). In reading about it afterwards the best course of action would have been to remove my daughter's AAdvantage number from the booking (thus allowing me and my 500 mile coupons to sponsor her), and then request the missing miles after the flight for her account, or have the gate agent add back on the AAdvantage number after the upgrade cleared.

Thanks this was exactly my situation as well. Sounds like the easiest way is to just check in manually and not bother with the Kiosk, which is what I do almost all of the time anyway. Only reason I tried is that there was a large family with complicated check in clogging the priority line. Of course, once I had failed at the Kiosk, several additional families had joined the priority line in the meantime. :D

hyperspace Jan 3, 2022 11:18 am

Hoping to get the forum wisdom on why LAX-JFK fares in F looks so much more expensive than usual? I usually travel once a year this route and have been able to get F from around $2k. J fares are around $1.2k which seems to me the usual price, but fares are $4800 (!!!!!) throughout the year. Looking specifically at September 2022.
s this normal pricing? I'm not super familiar with that. Thank you!

guv1976 Jan 3, 2022 11:20 am

Originally Posted by hyperspace (Post 33867130)
Hoping to get the forum wisdom on why LAX-JFK fares in F looks so much more expensive than usual? I usually travel once a year this route and have been able to get F from around $2k. J fares are around $1.2k which seems to me the usual price, but fares are over $4k throughout the year. Is this normal pricing? I'm not super familiar with that. Thank you!

Are you seeing the same high fares at the JetBlue website for the JetBlue codeshares on AA metal?

hyperspace Jan 3, 2022 11:31 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 33867139)
Are you seeing the same high fares at the JetBlue website for the JetBlue codeshares on AA metal?

Just tried the same search on JetBlue website and codeshares only show Economy fares available. Or am I missing something?
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...99b693a82f.png

here's a screenshot from AA.com
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...452b60328c.png

wrp96 Jan 3, 2022 11:59 am

Originally Posted by hyperspace (Post 33867130)
Hoping to get the forum wisdom on why LAX-JFK fares in F looks so much more expensive than usual? I usually travel once a year this route and have been able to get F from around $2k. J fares are around $1.2k which seems to me the usual price, but fares are $4800 (!!!!!) throughout the year. Looking specifically at September 2022.
s this normal pricing? I'm not super familiar with that. Thank you!

Originally Posted by hyperspace (Post 33867186)
Just tried the same search on JetBlue website and codeshares only show Economy fares available. Or am I missing something?

here's a screenshot from AA.com

Just guessing but perhaps they have removed inventory in preparation for cancelling some of those flights due to the holiday weekend? I pulled up a few of the seat maps for 9/4 and on some flights, they don't even show business or first as an option, but then others show first and business class wide open. With quite a bit of time between now and then, I'd definitely wait and see if pricing gets better.