Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2023, 7:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by DCBound2016
I'm booking alaska airlines later this year. I see that the basic saver fare (X class) for $478. My understanding is that I won't be able to get a premium class or even the alaska airlines/one world elites seats since I booked the X class. Or, would I get premium class at T-48?

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth paying $78 more to book the main fare (N class) for $550 which would get me 25% more points anyways and a premium class selection immediately. What do yall think?

Thanks!
How long is the flight? You will earn miles based on distance so we need that piece of info to make a value judgment if it's worth $78. How likely is it that your plans change? For me, it's almost never worth it to book basic economy unless the savings is hundreds of dollars, but this is totally subjective.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by njvandy
How long is the flight? You will earn miles based on distance so we need that piece of info to make a value judgment if it's worth $78. How likely is it that your plans change? For me, it's almost never worth it to book basic economy unless the savings is hundreds of dollars, but this is totally subjective.
six hours - IAD-SFO. I believe it was 2,400 miles one way.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 5:38 pm

Question on in flight meals

We're flying business / first BNA (nashville) STT (St. Thomas) through MIA (miami) round trip. They give the option of preselecting meals on the MIA STT legs. It's been some number of years since I've flown business, but the options, frankly, look disgusting. Some of the reviews imply (or perhaps I infer) that the preorder options are "healthy alternatives" and may differ from default choices. Am I reading too much into that (or perhaps just hoping too much)? I guess I'd pick the Golden Roasted Chicken of what is offered, but I'd take my chances if the default was the Lasagna or Short ribs if that was a choice on check in.

I would appreciate ANY suggestions.

Special shout out @JJeffrey for help understanding Admiral club.

Thanks

Last edited by JWM2023; Feb 3, 2023 at 5:50 pm
Old Feb 3, 2023, 8:51 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by JWM2023
We're flying business / first BNA (nashville) STT (St. Thomas) through MIA (miami) round trip. They give the option of preselecting meals on the MIA STT legs. It's been some number of years since I've flown business, but the options, frankly, look disgusting. Some of the reviews imply (or perhaps I infer) that the preorder options are "healthy alternatives" and may differ from default choices. Am I reading too much into that (or perhaps just hoping too much)? I guess I'd pick the Golden Roasted Chicken of what is offered, but I'd take my chances if the default was the Lasagna or Short ribs if that was a choice on check in.

I would appreciate ANY suggestions.

Special shout out @JJeffrey for help understanding Admiral club.

Thanks
There are several reviews of the Golden Roasted Chicken in this thread:
Old Feb 4, 2023, 10:51 am

This is definitely a newbie question, but is there any way to figure out the odds of my mileage award upgrade clearing? I did the 15,000 miles + $75 and can see it is requested but was told I would be waitlisted for it. The flight is AA2634 on 3/17, OMA-PHX. I am traveling with my partner and he got a good deal on a paid upgrade, but I am holding out to see if I can get it this way rather than paying cash for it (or just flying economy). How long should I wait..?
Old Feb 4, 2023, 11:01 am

Impossible to tell you. Depends on ur status and LPs to understand where you are on the waitlist.

but the flight has already sold 11 of 16 seats, so if you want fist, you probably should buy first.

Originally Posted by musicfan92
This is definitely a newbie question, but is there any way to figure out the odds of my mileage award upgrade clearing? I did the 15,000 miles + $75 and can see it is requested but was told I would be waitlisted for it. The flight is AA2634 on 3/17, OMA-PHX. I am traveling with my partner and he got a good deal on a paid upgrade, but I am holding out to see if I can get it this way rather than paying cash for it (or just flying economy). How long should I wait..?
TWA884 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 2:19 am

If hold on partner award flight (JAL) expires, when does it become available

I'm trying to book two award flights on JAL but need to use AAdvantage miles for one and Alaskaair miles for the other and need time to transfer points. If I put a hold on a Japan Airlines award using AAdvantage, when the hold expires, would this award show up again on Alaskaair (ie OneWorld partner) website and would it appear immediately or take hours or days to show?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Feb 5, 2023, 4:18 am

Absolutely no guarantee that it will show up on AS. And if it does, it could be immediate, within hours, or another day. there is no set rule or timing. Plus you run the risk of someone else grabbing the seat while you wait for it to show up in AS

Originally Posted by Flyfishingfever
I'm trying to book two award flights on JAL but need to use AAdvantage miles for one and Alaskaair miles for the other and need time to transfer points. If I put a hold on a Japan Airlines award using AAdvantage, when the hold expires, would this award show up again on Alaskaair (ie OneWorld partner) website and would it appear immediately or take hours or days to show?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Feb 5, 2023, 9:16 am

Programs: WS Gold, AC 75K, Hertz PC, National EE, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Bills Mafia
Questions about SRQ-CLT-MIA-PUJ in J with long layovers

I’m not an elite with AA, but I assume someone on here has American Airline experience.
I have upcoming J routing with AA, it’s weird but work for us do to scheduling.
SRQ to CLT , 12 hour layover
CLT-MIA ( landing at 12:30am) , 10 hour over night layover
MIA-PUJ.

My question is can I have my luggage after each flight ?

I asked AA, they said I have to request my luggage since they are same day connections of less then 16 hours and it will be up to the agent that checks me in at the airport.
Anyone have any experience with this ?

My wife can not put all her make-up, hair devices and shows in a carry on so that’s why I am in this situation

I get lounge across in MIA, but do I get it in CLT with I am technically on an international itinerary in J?
ConnieDee likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 9:56 am

How Many Miles is My Flight for Snacking Purposes?

How do I find out how many miles a booked flight is, for snacking purposes; ie what's available to buy etc. Poked around on my trip details on the AA website but couldn't find this information. Geographically challenged: Should I try Google for PDX-DFW? (Actually I just did - 1600 miles. Close enough to the 1300 mile cutoff for extra food on board for it not to be a trivial question.)
Old Feb 5, 2023, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bcard519
I’m not an elite with AA, but I assume someone on here has American Airline experience.
I have upcoming J routing with AA, it’s weird but work for us do to scheduling.
SRQ to CLT , 12 hour layover
CLT-MIA ( landing at 12:30am) , 10 hour over night layover
MIA-PUJ.

My question is can I have my luggage after each flight ?

I asked AA, they said I have to request my luggage since they are same day connections of less then 16 hours and it will be up to the agent that checks me in at the airport.
Anyone have any experience with this ?

My wife can not put all her make-up, hair devices and shows in a carry on so that’s why I am in this situation

I get lounge across in MIA, but do I get it in CLT with I am technically on an international itinerary in J?
1) I believe that agent is correct about the luggage
2) I do not believe you will have lounge access in CLT, as your inbound and outbound are domestic- (there are others here that will be able to confirm or deny- I am curious as well)
3) Bills Mafia... Nice!

Not to derail your original question (aka provide unsolicited advice ), but that is a brutal itinerary to get to PUJ from Sarasota. (PUJ = 2:20 flight from MIA, which is only a 3.5 hour drive)
We are doing something similar on AA out of MIA in June. The international flight leaves MIA at 8:40 am, so the only through itinerary flies TPA-MIA the night before with an 11 hour layover. So after getting bags (if we can), going offsite to hotel, checking in, getting up early, etc... that 11 hours boils down to 5-6 hours of restless sleep. So instead we will drive TPA-MIA leisurely the day/evening before, have a nice dinner and stay in a hotel near MIA airport, and park the car through https://www.cheapairportparking.org/

As you indicated, your current plans work for scheduling reasons, but I wanted to let you know about the website shown for the Park&Fly option at MIA (if you didn't already know).
Old Feb 5, 2023, 10:31 am

Thanks at least for finding out about the 16 hour, same day threshold. I had a less complicated question about PDX-DFW ; DFW-OAX on subsequent days so at least my question seems to be answered! Good luck with your plans.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 5:08 pm

Are the First/Business meals you can preselect the same ones you would get by default in flight, or are/is the inflight meal(s) something different?
Old Feb 5, 2023, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by JWM2023
Are the First/Business meals you can preselect the same ones you would get by default in flight, or are/is the inflight meal(s) something different?
What is offered on the plane will be the same as some of the pre-order options. There are usually 1 or 2 pre-order options that are pre-order only
Old Feb 5, 2023, 5:23 pm

Thanks. The "main" pre-order is the golden roasted chicken which I don't think looks very appetizing (although it's had some good reviews). The others are "fruit and cheese plate" and "harvest vegetable and grain bowl." If something different might be offered in-flight, I was considering playing menu-roulette.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.