Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2023, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Kremmen
For years, this has worked for me. I made an award booking yesterday and tried it and got: "This page must have taken flight".
Today, the page comes up, but because it's been ticketed, there is just a shell and no data. The side panel says: "Unavailable
Our system is having trouble".

If I put the ticket number into the receipts page, it says: "We didn't find a match.
Please check your information and try again. We didn't find a match."

Is there any way to get a receipt any more?
Haven't needed to use that in a while but just tried it for an upcoming reservation and it was the same, PNR but nothing else. That trick may be dead.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 10:58 am

I believe they can book those 2 awards on one PNR.
Originally Posted by CGRA
Tried to book CDG-LHR-SFO using AA miles on BA metal
Both legs are available separately
However AA agent told me othe she can't book a single award CDG-SFO
Does that seem correct ?

If she's right, I have to pay more miles, higher taxes and pick up and recheck my bag at LHR (and I'm not protected in case of delay of the first flight)
Old Jan 14, 2023, 11:59 am

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
I’m looking to book a round trip economy trip to Europe, and I’m looking to book an itinerary that only includes AA flights.
For my preferred return flights, AA doesn’t have any of the cheaper fare buckets left, but Finnair sells the preferred itinerary (all AA flights with AY codeshare flight numbers) for about $200 less than AA.
The fare includes one checked bag and as AA Platinum I will get a second bag for free no matter if I book the AA flight numbers or AY codeshare flight numbers, right?
What downsides are there to booking the AY codeshares?
If I book the itinerary on AA, I can change the flights and pay any applicable fare difference, and the same would be true for the AY ticket (“If you bought a Classic ticket on/after 15 June 2021 and change your booking, you only pay the fare difference between your original and new tickets, if any”)
Old Jan 15, 2023, 1:42 am

I booked a pretty complex itinerary thru iberia.

Phl-lhr on BA
lhr-mad on ib
mad-doh and doh-mle on qr

return
mle-doh-mad qr
mad-phl aa

I called IB as soon as I made this booking and gave them my Aadvantage # and said I wanted this whole trip credited to that. I confirmed and reconfirmed I was getting aa credit.

Outbound was 12/27 and no credit has shown up yet with Aa but this morning, midway through my return flights I got an email from iberia confirming I had earned miles from them. I’m sitting in their lounge right now so I asked the person at the desk how to fix and got an absolute runaround. She clearly has no clue.

how do I sort this out? I put in a missing mileage request with Aa for outbound but it’s too soon for inbound, and I suspect they get bounced because some miles were credited to ib.

help!
Old Jan 16, 2023, 12:46 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by AirborneLocksmith
I’m looking to book a round trip economy trip to Europe, and I’m looking to book an itinerary that only includes AA flights.
For my preferred return flights, AA doesn’t have any of the cheaper fare buckets left, but Finnair sells the preferred itinerary (all AA flights with AY codeshare flight numbers) for about $200 less than AA.
The fare includes one checked bag and as AA Platinum I will get a second bag for free no matter if I book the AA flight numbers or AY codeshare flight numbers, right?
What downsides are there to booking the AY codeshares?
If I book the itinerary on AA, I can change the flights and pay any applicable fare difference, and the same would be true for the AY ticket (“If you bought a Classic ticket on/after 15 June 2021 and change your booking, you only pay the fare difference between your original and new tickets, if any”)
I believe you are correct on all accounts. Someone else may have more to offer. Don't see any downsides, HOWEVER, question, why are you trying to stay on only AA metal? Are you trying to use an upgrade instrument or something? If so, booking through AY could indeed prove problematic. Curious as to your answer
Old Jan 16, 2023, 9:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, AA Exec Plat, OZ Diamond Plus
Thoughts on trying to maintain Plat Pro from Instant Status Pass if I fly about 20 segments a year for business & leisure, mainly transcon / Hawaii, from a non hub (SFO)? I’m keen on starting to build my AA mileage balance anyways with Bask and some other means, and thought this would be a fun little side game with some shopping portal spend and getting a sizable chunk of base miles from my Hyatt stays.

Would continue to stay loyal to United given SFO hub but flight experience has been miserable these days.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 9:49 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Well, wouldn't you need to requalify for Plat Pro (if that's the tier you were given), in order to get another 4 months as a Plat Pro? And then you'd need to requalify yet again to keep it for the rest of the year after that.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 9:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, AA Exec Plat, OZ Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by diburning
Well, wouldn't you need to requalify for Plat Pro (if that's the tier you were given), in order to get another 4 months as a Plat Pro? And then you'd need to requalify yet again to keep it for the rest of the year after that.
That’s right. The timing aspect of it every 4 months is a little limiting so I’d have to do some spend timing / inorganic spend to get to 42K each 4 months. I’d say I can get ~60-70K LPs organically so I guess I’m wondering if it’s worth the extra effort to gather another 65K LPs for PP. Mainly just speaking from not getting jack on United as a Gold and having Flagship as a potential upgrade option on my most traveled route.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 12:30 pm

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
I believe you are correct on all accounts. Someone else may have more to offer. Don't see any downsides, HOWEVER, question, why are you trying to stay on only AA metal? Are you trying to use an upgrade instrument or something? If so, booking through AY could indeed prove problematic. Curious as to your answer
AA offers the only options for a one-stop itinerary, either AA transatlantic to DFW/CLT + AA domestic or BA to LHR + AA transatlantic to my destination.
AA Platinum gives me MCE on AA. I don't think I'd get free access to increased leg room seats on other OW airlines, and flying IB/AY/BA across the Atlantic would require two connections.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 1:54 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Is it normal for a multi-city trip (AAA-BBB/BBB-CCC) all on AA metal to have multiple ticket numbers?

Also, does the AA/B6 benefits reciprocity apply to the 70-pound bag limit that AA elites are allowed?

Thanks.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
How long should it take for the mileage from an Alaska flight to credit to my account?
Old Jan 17, 2023, 5:17 pm

Where to find fare class info

Where can I see the fare classes with seats available for a specific flight? I think I used to get this info from ExpertFlyer but no longer have the premium subscription so can't check. Is there somewhere else? We're trying to figure out why a certain day has a higher fare but all I can see is if seats are taken which isn't necessarily conclusive of number of seats sold.

Last edited by DebBrown; Jan 17, 2023 at 5:35 pm
Old Jan 18, 2023, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
How long should it take for the mileage from an Alaska flight to credit to my account?
From my experience flights post every Wednesday for flights taken through Tuesday of that week, so if you fly on a Wednesday you wait a week, if you fly on a Tuesday it should be just a day... typically.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 6:13 pm

Did I miss something, my Platinum Pro benefit I just earned (working towards EXP again before end of February) says I must choose by end of March? Last year I had a whole year to pick, by end of December. I don't want to pick an SWU this early, I have quite a few. When did this happen?
Old Jan 19, 2023, 6:03 am

Programs: HHonors Gold/AAdvantage /Delta Skymiles
Award ticket on request

My flight on an award ticket was chnged and meant arriving 6 hours later with a 7 hour layover.

I called AA on 01/08/2023 to request a change to a different flight the previous day. She made the change and said since part of it was on British she would have to request it. It was showing up on the award search and she said it was available.The flight has been showing as on request now for 11 days.

My question is, is this amount of time unusual, and is there a chance it won’t go through. I am concerned that it won’t and other fights available now may be booked by the time I find out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.