Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
Interested to see what you find about status challenge. I've been a Southwest companion pass holder since 2007 (until the end of 2021), and AA offered me nothing when I requested information earlier this year. But I switched anyway...
Just sent you a PM.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 1:06 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Interested to see what you find about status challenge. I've been a Southwest companion pass holder since 2007 (until the end of 2021), and AA offered me nothing when I requested information earlier this year. But I switched anyway...
I have 75k status with Alaska and called AA to inquire about a status challenge and was told I would have to pay $750 to participate. Needless to say I'm sticking with Alaska.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 7:46 pm

In the midst of booking an award flight, the AA website kicked me out of the booking and when I went back in, miles doubled?? Do I have any recourse?

(By kicked out, I literally was at the payment screen and when I clicked the button to reserve, a window came up saying there was an error. I tried refreshing but same error message. Then a whole new page appeared with a plane taking off and the only links were “Home Page”, “Book New Flight”, or “AAdvantage Account”)
Old Dec 30, 2022, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Question Book & Cancel on AA a JetBlue domestic flight

Hi. If I book in my AA acct a domestic JetBlue flight (say 2 months ahead) AND I need to cancel (say 2 weeks ahead).
Will I get a refund or at least a Trip Credit or similar in my AA acct ??
Old Dec 30, 2022, 9:02 pm

What’s a reasonable amounof time to receive partner lps? I’ve completed the outbound portion of a 30+ hr itinerary 2 days ago but lps haven’t shown up.

trip purchased through IB website, flights on BA, IB, QR. I called IB with my Aadvantage number immediately after booking.

the booking seemed a bit messed up-when I checked in with BA for my first flight he said the ticket was disconnected and did something to fix it. He was only able to check me in for the BA and IB segments; I had to check in with QR when I got to MAD. The BA guy said he didn’t see my Aadvantage no so I had him re-add it.

is this delay normal or should I follow up. The website says “3 days after flying “-does that mean the entire itinerary? Eg can’t expect LPs till I complete inbound? I’m kinda eager to get my LPs from outbound because I’ll hit platinum pro/owe from them whicj of course will be nice for trip home.

tia
Old Dec 31, 2022, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by erdoran
What’s a reasonable amounof time to receive partner lps? I’ve completed the outbound portion of a 30+ hr itinerary 2 days ago but lps haven’t shown up.

trip purchased through IB website, flights on BA, IB, QR. I called IB with my Aadvantage number immediately after booking.

the booking seemed a bit messed up-when I checked in with BA for my first flight he said the ticket was disconnected and did something to fix it. He was only able to check me in for the BA and IB segments; I had to check in with QR when I got to MAD. The BA guy said he didn’t see my Aadvantage no so I had him re-add it.

is this delay normal or should I follow up. The website says “3 days after flying “-does that mean the entire itinerary? Eg can’t expect LPs till I complete inbound? I’m kinda eager to get my LPs from outbound because I’ll hit platinum pro/owe from them whicj of course will be nice for trip home.

tia
Two days is nothing for not seeing partner flight credit, especially for a complex itinerary like that, unfortunately I would give at least a week before submitting the request.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by erdoran

tia
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Two days is nothing for not seeing partner flight credit, especially for a complex itinerary like that, unfortunately I would give at least a week before submitting the request.
I’m at about 45 days since my BA marketed IB operated flight not crediting. Wouldn’t hold your breath.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 3:52 pm

Flying DFW-LGA on AA541 and was diverted to JFK due to fog.

They let people off the plane but our bags will stay on the plane. They are trying to make it to LGA but keep delaying us. 75% of people have left the plane.

If we choose to leave at JFK, does anyone know what will happen to our bags?

will they deliver them to us? I get the fog delayed things, but I don’t understand why AA want badly to get to LGA. We could’ve cabbed there quicker. But they won’t give us bags back.

Last edited by cagiva92; Dec 31, 2022 at 3:59 pm
Old Dec 31, 2022, 6:12 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by chistery
Hi, I'm flying JFK-DCA soon, and whilst my case is just within the size limits, and I should be able to board in the first few groups so I guess space shouldn't be an issue, if I did check it in, what is baggage delivery like at DCA and JFK for domestics? Is it all generally pretty quick and I won't be waiting hours or should I do my best to avoid checking my bag? Thanks.
Airlines like Delta and Alaska have a 20-min baggage guarantee (or they will give you vouchers/miles if they fail to deliver your bag to the carousel in time). AA...well, AA does not have such a guarantee.

I find on average AA bags take closer to 30 minutes to come out to the carousel, and the Priority tag is generally ignored. 99% of the time, you won't be waiting for hours...but if you happened to have lounge access when you land, pop in for a bite/drink/bio break to kill some time versus being crowded at bag claim.
chistery likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 8:30 am

I am flying LHR-DFW-LAS in A/J on BA/AA and returning in J/A does that give me FL and FFD in both directions?

I have searched and think I get FL but not sure about FFD. Thanks - still searching and it looks like a No for FFD in either direction

Last edited by SandLake; Jan 1, 2023 at 8:37 am Reason: still searching
Old Jan 1, 2023, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
In looking for JFK-TPA, I can find several nonstops operated by Jet Blue for $. But trying to book with AA miles, no flights operated by Jet Blue are listed. How does one use AA miles to book Jet Blue-operated flights? Googling says you can, but I cannot seem to find out how…
Old Jan 1, 2023, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
In looking for JFK-TPA, I can find several nonstops operated by Jet Blue for $. But trying to book with AA miles, no flights operated by Jet Blue are listed. How does one use AA miles to book Jet Blue-operated flights? Googling says you can, but I cannot seem to find out how…
Partner award flights are all capacity controlled by the partner. When such flights are available, they will show up on an AAdvantage award search. Here's one example:

Old Jan 1, 2023, 10:48 am

Thanks for this.
I was finding it odd that there are zero JFK-TPA nonstop award flights from Jun-Nov available. There are several flights per day, at about $100.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Thanks for this.
I was finding it odd that there are zero JFK-TPA nonstop award flights from Jun-Nov available. There are several flights per day, at about $100.
If it's any consolation, paying 12,500 AA miles plus $5.60 instead of paying $100 for a cash ticket generally would be a very poor use of AA miles. (But AAdvantage flight awards are fully refundable, so there is that.)
Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
If it's any consolation, paying 12,500 AA miles plus $5.60 instead of paying $100 for a cash ticket generally would be a very poor use of AA miles. (But AAdvantage flight awards are fully refundable, so there is that.)
Agreed. The actual intent is to add on a domestic segment to a potential international award reservation. So if I have HKG-JFK, I am looking to find JFK-TPA. Everything I am finding for award is on AA metal connecting, but I know there are Jet Blue nonstops on the same day. My thinking was to find the Jet Blue award first…then see if it could actually be added.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.