Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2023, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by JohnofCharleston
Ah, got it, thanks for the help. Could a mileage upgrade work? I see the table in the "Upgrade with miles" page, which implies it's possible since there is an option for upgrading from Business. Just not sure if I could upgrade through two classes of service.

Thanks!
No, you cannot double upgrade anywhere on AA.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 6:24 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
If the cost of my flight goes down, what is the best way to bank some credit ? If I try to change my flight it does not give me the original flight I was on as an option. Do I have to purchase an entire new flight and bank the entire cost of the old flight ?
Old Jan 11, 2023, 9:05 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; AA Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by lougord99
If the cost of my flight goes down, what is the best way to bank some credit ? If I try to change my flight it does not give me the original flight I was on as an option. Do I have to purchase an entire new flight and bank the entire cost of the old flight ?
AA.com generally holds your rez for the day, so perhaps just walk through (but don't purchase) a new rez. Verify you have a record locator with the lower price (in the "Manage Trips/Check-in" tab) - then cancel the higher cost ticket and use that credit to purchase the new ticket(s).
Old Jan 11, 2023, 7:09 pm

If I made EXP before the new year, are all the miles I'm accruing now until March doing nothing for my 2023 status, or do those carry over?
Old Jan 11, 2023, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Eyenigma
If I made EXP before the new year, are all the miles I'm accruing now until March doing nothing for my 2023 status, or do those carry over?
They do nothing for status. The status counter starts again on March 1.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 9:59 pm

Programs: Alaska MileagePlan MVP
Is there any news on when the SEA-BLR flight will finally start?
Old Jan 13, 2023, 7:14 am

Programs: UA MM
Greetings to all AA frequent flyers. Quick question about Premium Economy ticketing... does a PE ticket for a TATL flight include access to MCE seating for the domestic connection or does one without status need to pay for that in addition? I know some airlines provide this but don't know if AA does. Many thanks.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Greetings to all AA frequent flyers. Quick question about Premium Economy ticketing... does a PE ticket for a TATL flight include access to MCE seating for the domestic connection or does one without status need to pay for that in addition? I know some airlines provide this but don't know if AA does. Many thanks.
Honestly not sure, however you could just do a dummy PE booking at aa.com and see what seats it let's you select.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 8:30 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Honestly not sure, however you could just do a dummy PE booking at aa.com and see what seats it let's you select.
I guess that was an obvious solution that I didn't think of... thanks for the suggestion.

Here's the answer: Yes, a TATL PE ticket does come with MCE on a Y domestic connection.
JJeffrey likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM
Adding AAdvantage # / Status to Amex Travel bookings

I'm not a complete noob (been EXP for 15 years), but I don't book through Amex Travel frequently. Over the weekend, I booked myself and the family for some international travel in March. Ticketing was goofy: four legs total, with the outbound transcon leg being booked on a BA codeshare (AA metal) and the rest as AA. There are two separate AA record locators: one for 3/4 of the trip, and one for the BA codeshare (there is, of course, a separate BA locator for this leg as well). I've been able to attach my AAdvantage number to the standalone leg (possibly because I added it via the BA portal?), but I can't seem to get it to "stick" for the other 3/4 of the trip on the separate locator. I can edit pax info on AA.com and add in the AA #'s, but as soon as I'm logged out and then go back to look at it again, the AAdvatage # field is blank (though passport #'s etc have been saved).

I have could call EXP desk, but wanted to check here first before going that route.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 12:38 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Is the checked-bag weight limit 70 pounds for Plat Pro regardless of cabin? Thanks.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 4:19 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by js1993
Is the checked-bag weight limit 70 pounds for Plat Pro regardless of cabin? Thanks.
Required about five clicks to find it, but the answer is yes: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ht-baggage.jsp

Now a related question: If a person with Plat Pro status has an AA booking with the first segment operated by AA partner JetBlue (but with AA flight number), does the AA/Plat Pro 70-pound allowance still apply when checking in with JetBlue? Thanks.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 7:58 pm

Just got Platinum Pro (through instant status match) earlier this month. Thinking of booking Alaska Airlines, traveling with family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids under 11).

Q1. If I book Alaska Air, (O fare) then I believe I will be eligible for First class upgrade. But will one of my family members also be eligible for the upgrade?
Q2. Does the fact that I am traveling with a party of 4 disqualify me from getting an upgrade?

TIA for anyone who can help advise
Old Jan 13, 2023, 8:44 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by jehova
Just got Platinum Pro (through instant status match) earlier this month. Thinking of booking Alaska Airlines, traveling with family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids under 11).

Q1. If I book Alaska Air, (O fare) then I believe I will be eligible for First class upgrade. But will one of my family members also be eligible for the upgrade?
Q2. Does the fact that I am traveling with a party of 4 disqualify me from getting an upgrade?

TIA for anyone who can help advise
You can only receive an upgrade with one companion. If you are all on the same reservation it will disqualify you. My suggestion would be to book your flights in two separate transactions so at least two of you have a chance.
jehova likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 3:34 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Have you tried the usual trick: Open up the reservation in aa.com, then open up the following link in a new tab in the same browser. I think some have had trouble with this working but it just worked perfectly for my next AA reservation.

https://www.aa.com/reservation/print...raryReceipt.do
For years, this has worked for me. I made an award booking yesterday and tried it and got: "This page must have taken flight".
Today, the page comes up, but because it's been ticketed, there is just a shell and no data. The side panel says: "Unavailable
Our system is having trouble".

If I put the ticket number into the receipts page, it says: "We didn't find a match.
Please check your information and try again. We didn't find a match."

Is there any way to get a receipt any more?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.