Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2023, 6:14 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Using Miles to upgrade NYC-CDG

My sister and her family of 3 have over a million miles on AA and want to fly NYC-CDG in early June in business class.

She thinks I know a lot about strategy using miles but It has been years since I have traveled and played the miles game.

Any hints on the best way to get them into business class. My initial thinking from reading is buy 4 economy plus and use miles plus the surcharge to upgrade. But is that immediate or are they on some sort of wait list? Maybe use miles out right for two tickets and buy two tickets? Not sure any of the family has status ( maybe the husband as he flies to CAL frequently).

I know it is late to be searching ( I am one who use to look 331 days out) but any thoughts to guide her would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by david55
My sister and her family of 3 have over a million miles on AA and want to fly NYC-CDG in early June in business class.

She thinks I know a lot about strategy using miles but It has been years since I have traveled and played the miles game.

Any hints on the best way to get them into business class. My initial thinking from reading is buy 4 economy plus and use miles plus the surcharge to upgrade. But is that immediate or are they on some sort of wait list? Maybe use miles out right for two tickets and buy two tickets? Not sure any of the family has status ( maybe the husband as he flies to CAL frequently).

I know it is late to be searching ( I am one who use to look 331 days out) but any thoughts to guide her would be appreciated. Thanks.
Everybody and their brother wants to go to Paris in business class in June. It's peak peak season, there's no easy answer here, and trying for 4 seats makes thing exponentially harder.

They can buy economy and upgrade with 25k miles + $350 per person, each way. But there's basically a 0% chance that upgrade space will be available at booking, so they'll be put on the waitlist, and space won't open up until around 24-36 hours before the flight (if at all). And on the waitlist they'll be sorted below anyone with status.

Alternatively they can just book business class award tickets with miles, but AA's award rates will be astronomical (see above re: peak season). Spot checking a few dates for JFK-CDG show 200k-400k miles each way, so even with 1M miles they barely have enough to get the whole family there one-way.

Splitting up and doing some combo of awards and upgrades is an idea, but I would fully be prepared to have the family split up with some in economy, and even then you'd be spending a minimum of 800k for 2 roundtrips to Paris, which is a total ripoff.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Everybody and their brother wants to go to Paris in business class in June. It's peak peak season, there's no easy answer here, and trying for 4 seats makes thing exponentially harder.

They can buy economy and upgrade with 25k miles + $350 per person, each way. But there's basically a 0% chance that upgrade space will be available at booking, so they'll be put on the waitlist, and space won't open up until around 24-36 hours before the flight (if at all). And on the waitlist they'll be sorted below anyone with status.

Alternatively they can just book business class award tickets with miles, but AA's award rates will be astronomical (see above re: peak season). Spot checking a few dates for JFK-CDG show 200k-400k miles each way, so even with 1M miles they barely have enough to get the whole family there one-way.

Splitting up and doing some combo of awards and upgrades is an idea, but I would fully be prepared to have the family split up with some in economy, and even then you'd be spending a minimum of 800k for 2 roundtrips to Paris, which is a total ripoff.
Really appreciate you taking the time to give me this reality check......she is calling me soon and I now have some thoughts to share with her.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 10:39 am

Making reservations for 4 passengers. 3 will be award seats , one will be paid. Can they all be on the same reservation number? Thanks
Old Jan 19, 2023, 10:58 am

Looking for advice and better understanding of pricing in terms of seat availability. I am looking to go RT CLT - LAX in Aug and, for instance, if I look at 08/15 - 08/22 there are various OB options for 1099 and only 1 red eye return for 1099. If I look at return 08/23, there are more favorable options for return to stay at 1099. I assume this is due to seat availability on these specific flights/days but am unable to check through cowtool since I do not have an account. Can anyone confirm if this is the right reasoning? Is there another tool that will allow me to see different seat numbers/classes available for specific routes/dates? I do not mind booking dates based on best price but just want to understand the reasoning behind the differences.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 11:11 am

I'm booked in JL J for Sept to Japan and will need to add a lap infant ticket. ITA Matrix says the lap infant ticket will be about $1k but we're not sure if we'll end up going on this trip yet. If we were to cancel the flight, will the $1k get refunded? Should I call AA or JL to add the lap infant and should I book now or do you think the ticket prices will drop a bit in the near future?

ETA: Ouch, it's actually $1.4k in J. Either way, if we go through with this, what seats do you recommend for flying with a lap infant who will be 1.5?
Old Jan 19, 2023, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Making reservations for 4 passengers. 3 will be award seats , one will be paid. Can they all be on the same reservation number? Thanks
Nope.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 11:22 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Plat
Nope. The award and paid will have to be separate. Can call to have them "linked" after the fact, but that has minimal benefit - let's AA know these people are traveling together, and in the case of one of them having status, they would honor selecting seats for the 3 & 1 together, for example (if on AA metal).

Last edited by patriotPHL1; Jan 19, 2023 at 11:23 am Reason: grammar
Old Jan 20, 2023, 8:23 am

My sister and her family were able to get some decent award seats NYC-CDG on AA out ( Biz) and BA returning (Econ+) for June .

But the CSR split the itinerary into 2 reservations because of the number of miles in my sister's and her husband's accounts were only enough for 2 tickets in each. My sister and her husband are in one and her two children in the other. My sister's/ husband's reservation was ticketed immediately. ( seats assigned because her husband is an Emerald.) In trying to get seats for the kids BA kept saying their ticket has not been issued. When we looked this morning at the kids reservation it said something to the affect "to buy the additional miles needed to complete the ticket call CS" Yikes. They thought they did all that yesterday when making the reservation with the CSR. ( My sister needed just a few thousand miles)

Anyway.... both of them are aware of the issue but have yet to find the time to call in....how long will AA hold the kid's reservation before kicking it out of the system?
Old Jan 20, 2023, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
My sister and her family were able to get some decent award seats NYC-CDG on AA out ( Biz) and BA returning (Econ+) for June .

But the CSR split the itinerary into 2 reservations because of the number of miles in my sister's and her husband's accounts were only enough for 2 tickets in each. My sister and her husband are in one and her two children in the other. My sister's/ husband's reservation was ticketed immediately. ( seats assigned because her husband is an Emerald.) In trying to get seats for the kids BA kept saying their ticket has not been issued. When we looked this morning at the kids reservation it said something to the affect "to buy the additional miles needed to complete the ticket call CS" Yikes. They thought they did all that yesterday when making the reservation with the CSR. ( My sister needed just a few thousand miles)

Anyway.... both of them are aware of the issue but have yet to find the time to call in....how long will AA hold the kid's reservation before kicking it out of the system?
Did you not have enough miles in each of the two accounts to book all four passengers to CDG from one account, and from CDG from the other account?
Old Jan 20, 2023, 12:19 pm

Yes u missed something. Awards have to be chosen by the end of the qualifying year now.

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Did I miss something, my Platinum Pro benefit I just earned (working towards EXP again before end of February) says I must choose by end of March? Last year I had a whole year to pick, by end of December. I don't want to pick an SWU this early, I have quite a few. When did this happen?
Old Jan 20, 2023, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Did you not have enough miles in each of the two accounts to book all four passengers to CDG from one account, and from CDG from the other account?
I wasn't involved in the hour+ conversation that they had with the AA CSR yesterday. I only discovered the error when I looked into their reservations as to why BA was saying the son's ticket was not issued yet as of this morning. They finally reached someone at AA an hour ago and it turns out the account that was being used for the sons was still 2000 miles short. ( This was never mentioned evidently to them in yesterday's call.) Miles bought. Ticket issued. Seats acquired.
guv1976 and js1993 like this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Early next year, I am flying RT DFW-SYD. I want to fly DFW-LAX on AA and then LAX-SYD on Qantas (because I want to fly first on a 380). Also, I'd like to pay for my ticket and use miles for my wife's ticket. When I search for a paid ticket, the flights I want are there, but when I search using Redeem Miles, it shows only AA flights. How do I price in miles the LAX-SYD Qantas flight? I'm guessing call??
Old Jan 20, 2023, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FrogProf
Early next year, I am flying RT DFW-SYD. I want to fly DFW-LAX on AA and then LAX-SYD on Qantas (because I want to fly first on a 380). Also, I'd like to pay for my ticket and use miles for my wife's ticket. When I search for a paid ticket, the flights I want are there, but when I search using Redeem Miles, it shows only AA flights. How do I price in miles the LAX-SYD Qantas flight? I'm guessing call??
Unlike award flights on AA metal, award flights on partner metal are only available at the MileSAAver level, which means only when Qantas chooses to make such seats available to partners. In order for DFW-LAX-SYD to be available as a single award, both segments would have to be available at the MileSAAver award level.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by FrogProf
Originally Posted by guv1976
Unlike award flights on AA metal, award flights on partner metal are only available at the MileSAAver level, which means only when Qantas chooses to make such seats available to partners. In order for DFW-LAX-SYD to be available as a single award, both segments would have to be available at the MileSAAver award level.
And... QF premium cabin awards are notoriously hard to come by. But they can be obtained. Flexibility is the key.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.