Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2023, 2:27 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by northernvilla
Hi, as above. Looking for an answer as to how much baggage I would be entitled to on a US domestic flight marked as "PSA as American Eagle" with an AA flight number - travelling as a Oneworld Sapphire / BA Silver.
It's the same as for a domestic mainline flight, 1st and 2nd checked bags are complimentary for... oneworld® Sapphire members.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 2:42 pm

Programs: BAEC (Silver), Hilton HHonors (Gold)
Originally Posted by TWA884
Thank you very much, wasnt sure if PSA / American Eagle included.

NV
Old Jan 28, 2023, 5:41 pm

Hi all -

My wife and I are planning a short hop from DCA to BOS (one way), and the specific flight we want is an A319 with 3 seats in each row/each side. We'd like to book 3 seats for the two of us, few questions:

1. can this be done online? If so, is there a specific name/format we should enter for the third 'passenger'...? Or do we need to call in to reservations?
2. What should we know in terms of checking in, showing a boarding pass, etc.?
3. If they change the flight/equipment and we end up on something with 2 seats would we be able/likely to get a refund or anything? We're planning to book in basic economy so I think I can guess that one...
4. Anything else to consider?

Thanks so much!
Old Jan 28, 2023, 7:23 pm

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by pspaster
Hi all -

My wife and I are planning a short hop from DCA to BOS (one way), and the specific flight we want is an A319 with 3 seats in each row/each side. We'd like to book 3 seats for the two of us, few questions:

1. can this be done online? If so, is there a specific name/format we should enter for the third 'passenger'...? Or do we need to call in to reservations?
2. What should we know in terms of checking in, showing a boarding pass, etc.?
3. If they change the flight/equipment and we end up on something with 2 seats would we be able/likely to get a refund or anything? We're planning to book in basic economy so I think I can guess that one...
4. Anything else to consider?

Thanks so much!
from the TPG site:

American Airlines

American Airlines permits customers to book a second seat for a musical instrument because they require -- or simply want -- the additional space.

To book two seats, the customer must call reservations directly. According to an American Airlines spokesperson, the second seat must be purchased at the same fare and in the same fare class as the first seat. You can redeem AAdvantage miles for the second seat, but again, only if you redeem miles for both seats in the same fare class. Unfortunately, miles cannot be earned on the additional seat purchase even if you pay cash. Additionally, if you desire a second seat, it must be booked for the full itinerary -- not just one segment.
(https://thepointsguy.com/guide/buy-s...rican-airlines)
Old Jan 28, 2023, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo
from the TPG site:

American Airlines

American Airlines permits customers to book a second seat for a musical instrument because they require -- or simply want -- the additional space.

To book two seats, the customer must call reservations directly. According to an American Airlines spokesperson, the second seat must be purchased at the same fare and in the same fare class as the first seat. You can redeem AAdvantage miles for the second seat, but again, only if you redeem miles for both seats in the same fare class. Unfortunately, miles cannot be earned on the additional seat purchase even if you pay cash. Additionally, if you desire a second seat, it must be booked for the full itinerary -- not just one segment.
(https://thepointsguy.com/guide/buy-s...rican-airlines)
Thanks! I wound up booking over the phone, appreciate the info. Don't suppose you have any thoughts/knowledge/links/guesses as to how the actual travel would go? I assume (?) I'd check all three seats in normally the night before, and expect to just present 2 passes to go through security, then show all three at the gate? Thoughts on what I could/would/should do in the event the equipment on my flight is changed to a 2-seater and we no longer 'need' the third seat? (again, noting we bought basic economy, so my guess is we eat it?)

Thanks again.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Thoughts on what I could/would/should do in the event the equipment on my flight is changed to a 2-seater and we no longer 'need' the third seat? (again, noting we bought basic economy, so my guess is we eat it?)

Thanks again.
If the aircraft were changed to one with 2 x 2 seating in Economy, that would likely be a regional jet, not operated by mainline AA, but by a subsidiary airline. A change in carrier of your flight should entitle you to a full refund.

Of course, if you prefer an aircraft with 2 x 2 seating, you could book JetBlue on this route.

Did you have any elite status with AAdvantage?

Last edited by guv1976; Jan 28, 2023 at 10:36 pm
Old Jan 29, 2023, 6:28 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Thanks! I wound up booking over the phone, appreciate the info. Don't suppose you have any thoughts/knowledge/links/guesses as to how the actual travel would go? I assume (?) I'd check all three seats in normally the night before, and expect to just present 2 passes to go through security, then show all three at the gate? Thoughts on what I could/would/should do in the event the equipment on my flight is changed to a 2-seater and we no longer 'need' the third seat? (again, noting we bought basic economy, so my guess is we eat it?)

Thanks again.
I am afraid I have no such a knowledge, I simply google how AA dealt with spare seats. However, I would have asked all pertinent questions when buying the seats over the phone, I am sure they are equipped with the necessary information
Old Jan 29, 2023, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
If the aircraft were changed to one with 2 x 2 seating in Economy, that would likely be a regional jet, not operated by mainline AA, but by a subsidiary airline. A change in carrier of your flight should entitle you to a full refund.

Of course, if you prefer an aircraft with 2 x 2 seating, you could book JetBlue on this route.

Did you have any elite status with AAdvantage?
Thanks! We actually prefer the A319 larger configuration over the regional option, but good thought to keep in mind re: the full refund Edit to add: Going in for a same day wedding, so trying to balance sleeping in as much as possible, arrival time, and preferred airport/equipment.

Gold status for the next few months, curious if (but doubting whether) that would have done anything for me here.

Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo
I am afraid I have no such a knowledge, I simply google how AA dealt with spare seats. However, I would have asked all pertinent questions when buying the seats over the phone, I am sure they are equipped with the necessary information
Haha thanks. It already took 20+ minutes of hold time to book the extra seat once I'd reached the agent, and I wasn't really thinking about asking some of the logistical Qs I should have

Appreciate the assist, I'm sure/hoping it won't be an issue while traveling; will be "fun" to see if my third seat gets Pre-Check lol.

Thanks.

Last edited by JY1024; Jan 31, 2023 at 4:29 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Jan 29, 2023, 10:12 am

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Just curious if anyone knows if you are One World Emerald seated in the middle "elite" section (not MCE) if you get free drinks? I've heard Alaska offers it in the equivalent situation so I was curious if AA does the same. Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2023, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks! We actually prefer the A319 larger configuration over the regional option, but good thought to keep in mind re: the full refund Edit to add: Going in for a same day wedding, so trying to balance sleeping in as much as possible, arrival time, and preferred airport/equipment.

Gold status for the next few months, curious if (but doubting whether) that would have done anything for me here.
AAdvantage Gold status lets you select "Preferred" seats for free at time of booking on AA metal, and "Main Cabin Extra" seats at 24 hours before departure (if any were still available). It also gets each of you one free checked bag.

AAdvantage Gold on JetBlue would get you each a free checked bag at the airport. In addition, at T-24, you would get free "Even More Space" seats (if any were still available).
Old Jan 29, 2023, 12:37 pm

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt plat,...
when to book award travel to London

I have been saving for years and was planning a UK trip form the US. I originally wanted to go 2020/2021 but plans got delayed.

Now I am planning a trip this summer. Should I book immediately? I remember in the past if I cancelled an award flight I had to pay to get miles reinstated but now it seems different.

FYI I am shooting for Business on either AA or BA metal (I know BA has fuel surcharges, but it's less miles so I figure it's a wash).
Old Jan 29, 2023, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FOX85
I have been saving for years and was planning a UK trip form the US. I originally wanted to go 2020/2021 but plans got delayed.

Now I am planning a trip this summer. Should I book immediately? I remember in the past if I cancelled an award flight I had to pay to get miles reinstated but now it seems different.

FYI I am shooting for Business on either AA or BA metal (I know BA has fuel surcharges, but it's less miles so I figure it's a wash).
All AAdvantage flight awards are now fully refundable up until departure time, regardless of which carrier you're flying. So book as soon as you wish, knowing that you can always cancel and rebook if a lower-priced award itinerary should become available.

If you're going to book an AAdvantage award for travel on BA, be sure to compare the surcharges on a roundtrip against those on two separately-booked one-ways. BA has been known to have higher surcharges on award travel originating in the U.S.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 4:14 pm

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt plat,...
Thank you, (FYI I notice flying to LON there is around $750 surcharge, but coming back from LON to LAX its less than $500, and know I know why)

I have one last question for the group.

I am traveling solo and the day I want to go from LAX to LON I can do

business nonstop
OR
First with 1 layover at JFK
OR
Orange County to LON
FIrst with 1 Layover in DFW

Anyone with experience on these routes. (I don't travel to much so any insight is welcomed)

Last edited by FOX85; Jan 29, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Old Jan 29, 2023, 8:13 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by FOX85
Thank you, (FYI I notice flying to LON there is around $750 surcharge, but coming back from LON to LAX its less than $500, and know I know why)

I have one last question for the group.

I am traveling solo and the day I want to go from LAX to LON I can do

business nonstop
OR
First with 1 layover at JFK
OR
Orange County to LON
FIrst with 1 Layover in DFW

Anyone with experience on these routes. (I don't travel to much so any insight is welcomed)
It's unclear if the transatlantic flights you are considering are AA or BA, so I'll just comment on the domestic legs. F from SNA to DFW will be on a narrow body aircraft with standard first-class reclining seats. F from LAX to JFK will be on the three-class A321T, with lie-flat seats that resemble business class seats in the 777s and 787s. The downside for connecting in New York is a shorter transatlantic flight, so you may not have the opportunity to sleep as long as on the flights to London from Los Angeles or Dallas.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 10:25 pm

Question regarding reward flight on BA (booked through AA). Club world booking. I am Platinum pro but we had to split the reservation to have enough miles (she is Gold). The reservations are linked but her status is not allowing seat selection without a fee on BA. Has anyone had any luck getting seats selected using a linked reservation earlier than the 7 days prior to departure?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.