Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2023, 12:36 am

1/ Does anyone know when the deadline is for accumulating loyalty points for the 2022-2023 choice? I am at 305,000 LP - how much longer do I have to make it to 350,000?
2/ For AA hotel stays do the bonus miles count as loyalty points? For example, if I book a hotel that gives a 10,000/night mile reward does that qualify as loyalty points?
3/ How does AA handle LP if there are credit card refunds? For example if I purchase a $10,000 refundable ticket now and then cancel it in 6 months do I get 10,000 LP towards the choice rewards?
Old Jan 30, 2023, 6:39 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Allusha
1/ Does anyone know when the deadline is for accumulating loyalty points for the 2022-2023 choice? I am at 305,000 LP - how much longer do I have to make it to 350,000?
2/ For AA hotel stays do the bonus miles count as loyalty points? For example, if I book a hotel that gives a 10,000/night mile reward does that qualify as loyalty points?
3/ How does AA handle LP if there are credit card refunds? For example if I purchase a $10,000 refundable ticket now and then cancel it in 6 months do I get 10,000 LP towards the choice rewards?
1) End of February
2) Yes, they count
3) I don't know for sure, but my guess would be that the points would be clawed back.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 6:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Aeroplan 25k, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
1)
3) I don't know for sure, but my guess would be that the points would be clawed back.
Just noting that there's a difference between the LPs earned on the flight activity and those earned if the ticket was purchased with a cobrand credit card. If the ticket is cancelled and refunded to original form of payment (i.e., no flight activity actualizes), then there isn't any clawback because flight activity LPs are earned after the flight. But for refunds to cobrand card, regardless of what the purchase was, that in theory should be a reduction in LP balance, though I myself have had a small refund here or there on my cobrand card over the last year and the redeemable miles were reduced but not the LPs (we're talking 100 of each so nothing that's gonna be flagged by the auditing processes).
Old Jan 30, 2023, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by EJRofChicago
Just noting that there's a difference between the LPs earned on the flight activity and those earned if the ticket was purchased with a cobrand credit card. If the ticket is cancelled and refunded to original form of payment (i.e., no flight activity actualizes), then there isn't any clawback because flight activity LPs are earned after the flight. But for refunds to cobrand card, regardless of what the purchase was, that in theory should be a reduction in LP balance, though I myself have had a small refund here or there on my cobrand card over the last year and the redeemable miles were reduced but not the LPs (we're talking 100 of each so nothing that's gonna be flagged by the auditing processes).
Some additional points (perhaps redundant):
If OP purchases a ticket for 10K on their CITI AA card, they would get 10K LPs, and 10K bonus (not LP) points, without even flying (assuming the card they own has a benefit of 2X for AA flight purchases). In addition, they would also get LPs after they take the flights (the amount based on your status multiplier).

I just checked the last year of my AAdvantage account, and I do not have any points subtracted from my CITI credit card returns. But I do have points subtracted from returns that were made on that credit card that were earned through the AAdvantage shopping portal. But these are AAshopping subtractions, not CITI credit card subtractions.

I also checked a statement from a few months ago. Using easy math, say I had $200 in returns, and made $1000 of new purchases in that month. I only got 800 LPs, while I was expecting 1000 LPs. So while the points weren't specifically subtracted from my AAdvantage account, I only earned new LP points when that $200 "debt" was spent down. If I made a $10,000 return in that month (vs. $200), I could easily see the "AAdvantage® Miles Earned this period: Purchase Amount" to be -9000 ($1K in new purchases, minus 10K in returns). And because CITI automatically identifies this is an AA plane ticket I am returning, I could also see the "AAdvantage® Miles Earned this period: Bonus" to be -10,000. So the total points earned would be -19,000... which would essentially be the original 20K earned being removed from his account, and 1000 points added for new purchases for that month.

Considering how tight the integration is between CITI AA cards and the AAdvantage account (points earned are always predictably accurate to the nearest dollar, including 2x bonuses for gas stations, AA flights, restaurants, etc..), I would be willing to bet the points would be subtracted from both the LPs and regular points side. And if not automatically, they probably would under any kind of audit.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 10:17 am

I was looking through the AAdvantage page but could not find any related information where I could see the amount of flight segments that I have flown. Is that somewhere visible?
Old Jan 30, 2023, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Rabauke
I was looking through the AAdvantage page but could not find any related information where I could see the amount of flight segments that I have flown. Is that somewhere visible?
If I remember correctly, login to you AAdvantage account, click your name ("Go to your account"), click "Promotions," and under the "Loyalty Choice" promotion it will show your progress (LPs and segments)

Once you have 30, I cannot find it either.... but above 30 it seems to be irrelevant.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 10:48 am

Does anyone know if a lap infant ticket will get refunded if I cancel the award tickets? Booked on JL through AA.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 11:29 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
I've been around long enough that I should probably know the answer to this.... I guess that's what the Newbie Lounge is for.

Next week I'm flying DFW-HEL-BKK on a AY marketed/operated flight. Return is the same routing. On the AY website, it says I will have access to the Capital One Lounge in DFW. However, I'm wondering if I will also have access to FL at DFW. Over on the FL access thread, it says "access for non AA OW members. I am a regular AA flyer, and I attached my AA number to this reservation. However, it's a AY marketed and operated flight. Does that make me a 'Non AA One World flyer for this particular flight? I'm PlatPro and don't know exactly what will appear on my ticket; I'm assuming just OneWorld Emerald?

Secondly, if I am granted FL access, which is the better lounge, FL or CO? I've been in both, but the CO was several years ago and I don't remember much about it. Every time I've been in a FL in the past, I've been on a AA marketed/operated flight.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by NotDuncan
I've been around long enough that I should probably know the answer to this.... I guess that's what the Newbie Lounge is for.

Next week I'm flying DFW-HEL-BKK on a AY marketed/operated flight. Return is the same routing. On the AY website, it says I will have access to the Capital One Lounge in DFW. However, I'm wondering if I will also have access to FL at DFW. Over on the FL access thread, it says "access for non AA OW members. I am a regular AA flyer, and I attached my AA number to this reservation. However, it's a AY marketed and operated flight. Does that make me a 'Non AA One World flyer for this particular flight? I'm PlatPro and don't know exactly what will appear on my ticket; I'm assuming just OneWorld Emerald?

Secondly, if I am granted FL access, which is the better lounge, FL or CO? I've been in both, but the CO was several years ago and I don't remember much about it. Every time I've been in a FL in the past, I've been on a AA marketed/operated flight.
PPro on any OW marketed/operated flight from the US to Europe/Asia will always have access to the FL, but not FFD.

As to the second question, I would rate the Capital One lounge ahead of the FL without hesitation. FFD > CO > FL in my opinion. They are right next to each other so you can try out both in any case.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
If you have AA elite status and you book a US domestic flight operated by AA but sold as an AS-marketed codeshare flight, are you eligible for either (a) preferred or Main Cabin Extra seats or (b) complimentary upgrades?
Old Jan 31, 2023, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
Originally Posted by Allusha
1) End of February
2) Yes, they count
Really? I thought only base miles counted for LP, not bonus miles. And I'd assume 10,000 miles/night would be a bonus? (I've honestly not paid much attention to what counts and what doesn't since the change to LP, but for example if I charge an AA ticket to my AA card, as a PLT I get 8x base cost for the airfare, plus 1x the base airfare for the charge, but the 2x base fare I get for RDM miles I thought did NOT count for LP??)
Old Jan 31, 2023, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Really? I thought only base miles counted for LP, not bonus miles. And I'd assume 10,000 miles/night would be a bonus? (I've honestly not paid much attention to what counts and what doesn't since the change to LP, but for example if I charge an AA ticket to my AA card, as a PLT I get 8x base cost for the airfare, plus 1x the base airfare for the charge, but the 2x base fare I get for RDM miles I thought did NOT count for LP??)
The "bonus" miles that you can select during the booking process at RM or BAAH credit as LP's.

Pretty much all other "bonus" miles from any other source do not count as LP's.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 7:05 pm

Flight is cancelled - downgraded on replacement flight. Compensation?

Post removed.

Last edited by sbjapan; Jan 31, 2023 at 9:14 pm Reason: Would like to remove post, please.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Yes. For RM and BAAH, the “pay more for miles” options all count as LPs.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 5:38 am

Context: only have gotten back into flying ~4 months ago and had a chance to kick off w/ a fast track to Plat Pro. I've been having very good luck with upgrades at T-72 hours. However, I've recently had to change a flight to same day (today). There are seats available in F; I purchased Y.

Newbie question (I'm basically learning everything again after 2.5 years off lol): does checking in versus not checking in have any bearing on whether I'll have a better shot of being upgraded (i.e. if I stay un-checked-in I'll be upgraded by some system vs checking in makes it wait for gate control)? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.