Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2022, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by sam007
Guys - is there any way to see availability for etihad, qatar, cathay using AA miles online? Thank you
Yes, you check availability and book awards on EY, QR. CX all at aa.com.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes, you check availability and book awards on EY, QR. CX all at aa.com.
It says "We didn't find a match. Please choose different search options."
Does that mean no flights found or it doesn't operate anything on the JFK-BOM route? Under airlines, all airlines is selected

Thanks
Old Sep 24, 2022, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
It says "We didn't find a match. Please choose different search options."
Does that mean no flights found or it doesn't operate anything on the JFK-BOM route? Under airlines, all airlines is selected

Thanks
Award seats are available tomorrow on QR:

Old Sep 24, 2022, 11:11 am

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Just a quick question, rather than start a new thread... Does AA provide pajamas in J on the JFK-DOH route? I know that they did on the LAX-SYD route and this is of a similar length. TIA
Old Sep 24, 2022, 11:37 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Watching
video, I have so many questions. What happens when you go the other way? Do you have the pass through security once you get to the airport?
Old Sep 24, 2022, 1:34 pm
Suspended

If you clear the standby list but you’re not at the gate

I am on the standby list for an upcoming flight that will likely start boarding before I can make it to the gate.

If I am not present when the standby list is cleared, will I not clear/get a seat on that flight? (I’ve heard some gate agents say “when you clear the list, just refresh your boarding pass on your phone” but others have called passengers to the podium and given seats only to passengers who show up.)

And if I clear the standby list but am not there and end up taking my original later flight, will there be any issue in keeping my original seat on the original flight? (I assume not but the last time this happened was years ago.)

Thanks!
Old Sep 24, 2022, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
I want to give my father an SWU - he may join me at the end of my Australia trip. For me, a two month trip, for him, 1-2 weeks. I can give him one he can TRY to use for his flight outbound, but I know the chances to clear may be low. But if we fly back together, at least partially (probably SYD-LAX-CLT but I would end my part at LAX), will they be able to merge our PNR for the return partial segments only and thus give his SWU my ExPlat priority too? Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 24, 2022, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Award seats are available tomorrow on QR:
Ok I see that too but for Dec search, I get this message. Does that mean there are no flights available or simply means AA wasn't able to pull up inventory for Qatar, Etihad, etc
Old Sep 24, 2022, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok I see that too but for Dec search, I get this message. Does that mean there are no flights available or simply means AA wasn't able to pull up inventory for Qatar, Etihad, etc
I assume that that message means no award availability for the route and date selected -- at least, not with AA miles.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 10:19 am

On a flight operated by Iberia but with an AA flight number, will a ticket in
AA Basic Economy earn the full actual miles flown towards Million Miler status?
Old Sep 25, 2022, 11:25 am

My wife and I booked separate tickets on the same flight. She had to go through her corporate portal to book the ticket. I called in to try and link our reservations so we could be seated together, but there was only one free seat left and all remaining double seats had fees.

I have Gold status and have called in the past to link reservations and get my companions free MCE or preferred seating, but this agent would not allow that and said my wife would have to pay for the seat regardless. Is this a policy change?
Old Sep 25, 2022, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CrimsonTornado
My wife and I booked separate tickets on the same flight. She had to go through her corporate portal to book the ticket. I called in to try and link our reservations so we could be seated together, but there was only one free seat left and all remaining double seats had fees.

I have Gold status and have called in the past to link reservations and get my companions free MCE or preferred seating, but this agent would not allow that and said my wife would have to pay for the seat regardless. Is this a policy change?
Golds only get MCE at T-24. If you see a pair of MCE seats available at T-24, I would call AA then, and see if your request can be accommodated. I'm not sure whether the fact that your wife's ticket was issued by a travel agent will affect AA's ability -- or willingness -- to link the two reservations for seat-selection purposes.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
I want to give my father an SWU - he may join me at the end of my Australia trip. For me, a two month trip, for him, 1-2 weeks. I can give him one he can TRY to use for his flight outbound, but I know the chances to clear may be low. But if we fly back together, at least partially (probably SYD-LAX-CLT but I would end my part at LAX), will they be able to merge our PNR for the return partial segments only and thus give his SWU my ExPlat priority too? Thanks in advance!
You can't merge PNRs but you can link them.
Originally Posted by dogcanyon
On a flight operated by Iberia but with an AA flight number, will a ticket in
AA Basic Economy earn the full actual miles flown towards Million Miler status?
Yes.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Just got a notification that I have several hundred thousand miles expiring Oct 1. I don't fly AA at all anymore and a cc isn't an option.
Considering the time constraint, what's the best way to extend the miles expiration? I doubt shopping through the eshopping portal would post in time.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 6:58 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Plat
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Just got a notification that I have several hundred thousand miles expiring Oct 1. I don't fly AA at all anymore and a cc isn't an option.
Considering the time constraint, what's the best way to extend the miles expiration? I doubt shopping through the eshopping portal would post in time.
Did a survey the other day to test something and got the miles in 2-3 days later. Safest bet would be to just buy any 6k award ticket you can find just to be just with only days remaining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.