Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2022, 10:18 am

Question about buying wifi. If I have a connecting flight, is there an all-day wifi pass? How much is wifi on domestic flights? Would it be cheaper to buy the $50 monthly pass for a round trip of 4 legs?
Old Sep 12, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Joel16
Question about buying wifi. If I have a connecting flight, is there an all-day wifi pass? How much is wifi on domestic flights? Would it be cheaper to buy the $50 monthly pass for a round trip of 4 legs?
As an additional part to your question, is WIFI usable on American flights? My experience with the "free" WIFI, i.e. searching for flights on the American website, has been really bad (unusable). This has been on several legs, not a single aircraft.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
If you are talking about miles earned from the flights, they post very quickly once you complete the flight- within a day or two.
Miles from a flight on Alaska airlines. Completed the flight last night and haven't seen the miles post yet.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 4:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriott Silver
I'm going to hit EP this year (probably going to end up with admit 250k to 350k LPs) and am trying to figure out the likelihood of my SWUs clearing. There are three people I've booked on cash, main cabin fares PHL to DUB on American metal, in May. I'd like to use 3 SWUs to upgrade them to business class. So far on expert flier I see 2/20 seats occupied, and that route has 6+ business class seats open as soon as Friday (tomorrow is all full and the next day has two open seats).

How likely is it that the SWUs will clear? Fwiw I'm not on the flight.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by cjw5110
I'm going to hit EP this year (probably going to end up with admit 250k to 350k LPs) and am trying to figure out the likelihood of my SWUs clearing. There are three people I've booked on cash, main cabin fares PHL to DUB on American metal, in May. I'd like to use 3 SWUs to upgrade them to business class. So far on expert flier I see 2/20 seats occupied, and that route has 6+ business class seats open as soon as Friday (tomorrow is all full and the next day has two open seats).

How likely is it that the SWUs will clear? Fwiw I'm not on the flight.
May is so far off that it's impossible to tell upgrade chances regardless of how full or empty the business cabin is right now.

The waitlist will be sorted by status, so if the 3 pax don't have any status they will be below all others that do have status.

About the only thing you can sort of gauge anything from is the day of the week, for most all AA longhaul flights your chances of an upgrade clearing are highest midweek (Tues, Wed) and lowest towards the weekend Thurs-Sun). But even this can vary depending on the route, season, etc.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 11:55 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to coach the Chase Travel Portal to show me a flight I can see on AA.com that is JFK-DOH-JNB (AA metal to DOH, QR metal to JNB).

Unfortunately, Chase is only serving me up the flight I want marketed by QR...not AA...

If I buy the QR marketed flight, which is AA-operated JFK-DOH, will I be eligible to request an upgrade with points? It is operated by AA but not marketed...

Failing this...open to recommendations on how to manipulate Chase Travel Portal into giving me the flights I want...
Old Sep 14, 2022, 5:30 am

If I transfer points from IHG over to American, will they post as LP or just base miles?
Old Sep 14, 2022, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AirricK11
If I transfer points from IHG over to American, will they post as LP or just base miles?
Just regular miles, not LP's.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 2:06 pm

Last question for the day... Is there any difference between seats in rows 13,14, and 15 compared to seats in 17-20? It will be my first time on an AA 777. I'm generally an aisle guy so thinking of taking 19D but curious if it's a better choice in 15E?

Old Sep 14, 2022, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last question for the day... Is there any difference between seats in rows 13,14, and 15 compared to seats in 17-20? It will be my first time on an AA 777. I'm generally an aisle guy so thinking of taking 19D but curious if it's a better choice in 15E?
Yes, on a 772 rows 13-15 is the Premium Economy cabin while everything behind that is the standard Economy cabin.

On normal domestic flights where PE isn't sold AA just offers the PE seats as MCE.

So 15E will be a larger seat with a little more recline (similar to a normal domestic F seat) while 19D will be a standard Economy seat.
AirricK11 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA

Guessing you are on a domestic flight where Premium Economy isn't sold. Rows 13-15 are premium economy seats. When premium economy isn't sold on a particular flight, then they are offered as economy seats. They will be wider and have more legroom than rows 17-20
AirricK11 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 5:04 pm

I have a flight in flagship first from JFK-LAX leaving at 7:30 pm. I arrive the same morning from YYZ on a separate booking at 9 am. How early would I be able to check-in my luggage for the LAX flight?
Old Sep 14, 2022, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
Guessing you are on a domestic flight where Premium Economy isn't sold. Rows 13-15 are premium economy seats. When premium economy isn't sold on a particular flight, then they are offered as economy seats. They will be wider and have more legroom than rows 17-20
Yes, this is MIA-DFW. Sounds like even though it's a middle seat it would still be a more comfortable place to sit. Thanks!
Old Sep 14, 2022, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Unless it is an exit row with guaranteed extra legroom, I would always opt for aisle seat. I guess its all about personal preference...
Old Sep 15, 2022, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Checked luggage question: I am on a basic economy ticket, but I have an AAdvantage Citi Executive card (I am an AU), though I didn't use it to buy this ticket. Can I show that when I go to the airport to get a free checked bag, or will I really be stuck paying the $30?

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Sep 15, 2022 at 7:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.