Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2022, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by happychic
I used BA Avios to book an AA flight yesterday. It's been 16 hours but I still do not see the flight show up on my AA account. Outside of the e-ticket receipt from BA when I booked the ticket, I do not see a follow up email to show that my flight was ticketed. How do I get the flight to show up in AA? I do have the ticket numbers that start with 125-214, but nothing that start with 001.

Bonus question: will I get to use my AA elite benefits on the flight since I used BA Avios to book? I am a lowly Gold member. It will be nice to choose MCE seats and not have to pay for a carry-on.

If it matters the flight is from Mexico to US.

Thanks!
Why would you expect a flight booked by BA to show up in your "AA account" if your AAdvantage number is not in the record?

AFAIK, AA does not charge for carry-on bags.

You can call AA and ask them to add your AAdvantage number to your reservation record, but AA might refuse to do so. Did BA provide you with the AA record locator (which will be different than the BA record locator)?
Old Sep 20, 2022, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by guv1976
AFAIK, AA does not charge for carry-on bags.
Can confirm.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 6:39 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Did BA provide you with the AA record locator (which will be different than the BA record locator)?
Nope, not provided which is why I am here. When I searched for my trip using date, flight number and my name, it says "We are unable to retrieve your reservation with the information provided." Hoping someone who has done this will have more insight on how I can confirm the flight is ticketed and how I can locate it. Thanks!
Old Sep 20, 2022, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Nope, not provided which is why I am here. When I searched for my trip using date, flight number and my name, it says "We are unable to retrieve your reservation with the information provided." Hoping someone who has done this will have more insight on how I can confirm the flight is ticketed and how I can locate it. Thanks!
If you received an e-ticket from BA with a 125 ticket number, then you are ticketed; you will not get a 001 ticket number, even though you are flying on AA.

You can try the "Manage My Booking" function at ba.com or finnair.com or rj.com, and enter your surname and BA PNR; your AA PNR might be displayed there. You should then be able to pull up your itinerary on aa.com by entering your AA PNR.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:09 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
You can try the "Manage My Booking" function at ba.com or finnair.com or rj.com, and enter your surname and BA PNR; your AA PNR might be displayed there. You should then be able to pull up your itinerary on aa.com by entering your AA PNR.
I did not see my AA PNR on either Finnair or RJ site. I DM'ed BA on Twitter but no response yet. I called BA, but I was having a hard time getting through to speak to an agent. But you gave me an idea: I looked on BA app and I found the AA PNR. Thank you! I can pull up the flight on AA's site now. The info is a little wonked: the spacing in my last name is gone; instead of appearing as my title, my first name has "Mrs" in it. And of course, the preassigned seats were in the last row. I fixed what I could except for the name field.

Now I have to figure out how to add my AAdvantage number to this flight.. any tips welcome. Calling AA is my last resort.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 8:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
Is there a way to confirm that your Alaska booking has your AAdvantage number attached to it? I chatted with Alaska yesterday and they said they added it but I do not see the flight when I login to aa.com as I have seen previous AS flights.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL.HH,IHG,
I just traveled on business award made on AA with flight on BA (PRG-LHR) PRG-LHR-SMF on 9/19/22. BA 853 I was downgraded at the check in in Prague . I was waiting 9 hours at Heathrow for my connecting flight AA 81 and again I was downgraded at the gate , then send instead to Dallas to LA AA 135 a have to spend night in Los Angeles because no more flights to SMF I did arrive home 10 hours later the my original itinerary . I was trying contact AA before the flight after I found the changes in waiting time at LHR by Phone and chat but no agent was helpful . Do I have any resources for compensation?
Old Sep 21, 2022, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Jarka
I just traveled on business award made on AA with flight on BA (PRG-LHR) PRG-LHR-SMF on 9/19/22. BA 853 I was downgraded at the check in in Prague . I was waiting 9 hours at Heathrow for my connecting flight AA 81 and again I was downgraded at the gate , then send instead to Dallas to LA AA 135 a have to spend night in Los Angeles because no more flights to SMF I did arrive home 10 hours later the my original itinerary . I was trying contact AA before the flight after I found the changes in waiting time at LHR by Phone and chat but no agent was helpful . Do I have any resources for compensation?
Definitely, take a look at the EU compensation thread, there should be cash compensation due to the downgrade and delayed arrival.

GUIDE: EC261 / EC 261/2004 “EU” complaints, compensation and AA
Old Sep 21, 2022, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
I did not see my AA PNR on either Finnair or RJ site. I DM'ed BA on Twitter but no response yet. I called BA, but I was having a hard time getting through to speak to an agent. But you gave me an idea: I looked on BA app and I found the AA PNR. Thank you! I can pull up the flight on AA's site now. The info is a little wonked: the spacing in my last name is gone; instead of appearing as my title, my first name has "Mrs" in it. And of course, the preassigned seats were in the last row. I fixed what I could except for the name field.

Now I have to figure out how to add my AAdvantage number to this flight.. any tips welcome. Calling AA is my last resort.
Try using the Sri Lanka airlines manage my booking to edit FF# ? Sometimes works for me
happychic likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 2:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
I'm tempted by a 30m connection time at LGA, if anything for the thrill. What're the chances of that working out like 45%?
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
I've had AA status for 25 years. Have never, ever, been upgraded. Never used the 500 mile upgrade coupons they used to issue. Made Lifetime Platinum years ago, never did anything for me. This year, reached Executive Platinum. Thought that maybe I can get some upgrades.

Have a ABE to CLT round trip this weekend and purchased coach fare through the AA website. Since I have automatic upgrade request, I sat back and watched. Sure enough, 100 hours before the outbound trip, I cleared to business class.

It is now 90 hours before the return trip. There are still two open seats in business class. But no upgrade. Any ideas why? Are there that many executive platinum members flying to Allentown, PA on a Sunday evening?

I looked at another thread where, I learned, that many flyers are now given options to upgrade to business class days, or weeks, after their ticket purchase. Is this why the 100 hour window passed - AA is still trying to sell those seats at a discount? Or, are only some seats in business set aside for upgrades, and once those are gone, that's it, even though additional empty seats, not available for complimentary upgrades, are still open?

The thread is full of acronyms I don't know - is there a central list to decode these for me? For example:

<<The same technology that allows "elites" to watch J7 become J3 become J0 also allows AA to better monetize premium seats.>

What about "F seat." "J seat" "TOD upgrade?"

I presume F is code for first class, J for business, and Y for full priced economy.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:27 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Not quoting your long post but yes, AA will attempt to sell those first class upgrades. Any waitlisted upgrades will likely clear at the gate.

How many LP do you have? That determines your ranking with other Platinums.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Originally Posted by gregleck
The thread is full of acronyms I don't know - is there a central list to decode these for me? For example:

<<The same technology that allows "elites" to watch J7 become J3 become J0 also allows AA to better monetize premium seats.>

What about "F seat." "J seat" "TOD upgrade?"

I presume F is code for first class, J for business, and Y for full priced economy.
American AAdvantage Forum SUPPLEMENTAL GLOSSARY

F/J/Y are used in two ways, to refer to First, Business and Economy classes in general, and as specific fare buckets within those classes. Note that AA uses J for domestic First Class (what you're calling business class, which is a more apt description, but not the official marketing).

It is now 90 hours before the return trip. There are still two open seats in business class. But no upgrade. Any ideas why? Are there that many executive platinum members flying to Allentown, PA on a Sunday evening?

I looked at another thread where, I learned, that many flyers are now given options to upgrade to business class days, or weeks, after their ticket purchase. Is this why the 100 hour window passed - AA is still trying to sell those seats at a discount? Or, are only some seats in business set aside for upgrades, and once those are gone, that's it, even though additional empty seats, not available for complimentary upgrades, are still open?
They're waiting to see if they can either sell those seats as a new ticket, or as a paid upgrade. If those seats don't sell, upgrades should process before the flight departs. As long as there is someone on the upgrade list, there should not be an empty J seat on the plane when it departs.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
[QUOTE They're waiting to see if they can either sell those seats as a new ticket, or as a paid upgrade. If those seats don't sell, upgrades should process before the flight departs. As long as there is someone on the upgrade list, there should not be an empty J seat on the plane when it departs.[/QUOTE]

Then why mention the 100 hour, 96 hour, etc. windows for upgrades?
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
They're waiting to see if they can either sell those seats as a new ticket, or as a paid upgrade. If those seats don't sell, upgrades should process before the flight departs. As long as there is someone on the upgrade list, there should not be an empty J seat on the plane when it departs.
Then why mention the 100 hour, 96 hour, etc. windows for upgrades?
In theory, because there is some marginal benefit to you to knowing that you got upgraded early, in the circumstance (like your OB flight) where they're comfortable doing that. In practice, because the upgrade windows used to be more important and they've probably just left this "benefit" around to try to make higher status tiers seem more useful.

There's a long but somewhat dated thread on this topic: Has AA eliminated the upgrade window for elites?

Edit: The earlier upgrade window does also make it harder for AA Revenue Management (RM) to accurately predict the amount of demand in J, so you *could* get lucky and clear an upgrade at T-100 and then 12 people come along and (try to) buy J, but one of them can't because you've already been upgraded. This is obviously a very bad thing for RM though, and I suspect this happens very rarely in practice.

Edit 2: This does also mean that you could potentially get upgraded before someone who nominally has higher priority than you, if you get cleared at the window before they purchase their ticket, whereas if they held all upgrades until say T-2 you then wouldn't have gotten the upgrade. For example, suppose there was exactly 1 J seat left and you got cleared at T-100 as an EXP (this likely wouldn't actually happen in practice), but then a CK comes along and buys a Y seat; you would keep the upgrade and the CK would go without, even though CKs are supposed to have upgrade priority.

Last edited by Acidity; Sep 21, 2022 at 5:56 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.