Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2022, 10:42 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Been awhile since I've flown I have an AA flight with my AS Gold MVP number in the record (so I can get free bag and better seat). Does my AS status give me any chance for an upgrade to F?
Old Oct 1, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Been awhile since I've flown I have an AA flight with my AS Gold MVP number in the record (so I can get free bag and better seat). Does my AS status give me any chance for an upgrade to F?
You have to be at least OneWorld Emerald (so 75k) for AA upgrades, unfortunately.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 4:03 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Well, But thanks for the quick response.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 5:36 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Well, But thanks for the quick response.
Don't be terribly disappointed. It's rare for AAdvantage Gold and Platinum members to be upgraded. Most frequently it is only Concierge Keys and Exec Plats who receive the upgrades; occasionally, Platinum Pros get lucky. The one time which I was upgraded as a lowly Gold, my upgrade was rescinded just a boarding commenced.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by swim711crazy
So the new program's earning period ends 2/28, loyalty points don't rollover or anything do they?

If I end the year with 90,000 loyalty points, I still start next year at 0?
Correct. LP are just the counting unit. When the counter resets to zero, the number of LP resets with it. You of course keep the miles you earned.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 7:35 am

Programs: HHonors Gold/AAdvantage /Delta Skymiles
Connection time at LHR?

I am looking at booking 2 main cabin award tickets on AA from BNA to KRK in late July to early August. Nearly every flight available on AA metal seems to connect at LHR with a 1 hour connection time before onward to KRK. Will this be enough time? Will we have to go through passport control or will that be in KRK?
Old Oct 2, 2022, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by gnggng
I am looking at booking 2 main cabin award tickets on AA from BNA to KRK in late July to early August. Nearly every flight available on AA metal seems to connect at LHR with a 1 hour connection time before onward to KRK. Will this be enough time? Will we have to go through passport control or will that be in KRK?
You will go through security but not passport control at LHR. 1 hour is tight, but they wouldn’t offer if not doable. Also, as your flights aren’t until next August it is very likely there will be multiple schedule changes before then that would allow you to change flights for a longer layover if so desired.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA
Trying to get best bang for a # of diff points and plans. AMEX Business Plat member w/ 3M miles and access to 35% rebate w/ AA on bookings through AMEX travel. AA Executive Plat member with 300K miles and 400K Chase Sapphire points. Looking to travel from east coast to HI (GSO to LIH). Prefer AA as I have opportunity to be upgraded, but flexible. TPG and Expert Flyer are helpful but feel like I am missing something. What other sites are recommended? To confirm even though AA may offer a codeshare flight segment on UA I cannot use AA points to pay for? Any advice appreciated.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ECUPirateBoy
Trying to get best bang for a # of diff points and plans. AMEX Business Plat member w/ 3M miles and access to 35% rebate w/ AA on bookings through AMEX travel. AA Executive Plat member with 300K miles and 400K Chase Sapphire points. Looking to travel from east coast to HI (GSO to LIH). Prefer AA as I have opportunity to be upgraded, but flexible. TPG and Expert Flyer are helpful but feel like I am missing something. What other sites are recommended? To confirm even though AA may offer a codeshare flight segment on UA I cannot use AA points to pay for? Any advice appreciated.
You cannot, under any circumstances, redeem AA miles for travel on UA metal.

AA serves LIH with nonstops from LAX and PHX only. AA partner AS serves LIH from several West Coast cities. If you want to travel from GSO to LIH with connections only (no stopovers), just search using aa.com, or the AA app. If you want to stop over for a day or more in PHX or on the West Coast, you could consider using BA Avios (converted from Amex MR points or Chase UR points) for a nonstop from the intermediate point to LIH: BA charges only 13,000 Avios for such a nonstop, but you would have to find MileSAAver space on an AA nonstop, or low-tier award space on an AS nonstop.

Of course, it's worth comparing any discounted cash price you could get through Amex in order to determine whether you would be getting decent value for your AAdvantage miles or your MR/UR points.

Last edited by guv1976; Oct 2, 2022 at 5:32 pm
Old Oct 2, 2022, 5:29 pm

No need to worry about passport control. However, 1 hour is VERY tight for Heathrow. You'll make it if the flights are in the same terminal, but probably won't if you have to go from terminal 3 to 5 or vice versa.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by TranceXplant
No need to worry about passport control. However, 1 hour is VERY tight for Heathrow. You'll make it if the flights are in the same terminal, but probably won't if you have to go from terminal 3 to 5 or vice versa.
How do I find out which terminals I will be using? It doesn't show up on award site search.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
How do I find out which terminals I will be using? It doesn't show up on award site search.
Just do a Google search of "BA Heathrow to XYZ" and the LHR terminal will typically be in the search results.

KRK is using T5 at the moment AFAIK.

If you have a 1 hour connection then you're almost certainly doing a T5 to T5 connection, the MCT for a T3 to T5 is 1.5 hours so the system will not sell anything under that. Your flight to LHR is probably on BA.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Just do a Google search of "BA Heathrow to XYZ" and the LHR terminal will typically be in the search results.

KRK is using T5 at the moment AFAIK.

If you have a 1 hour connection then you're almost certainly doing a T5 to T5 connection, the MCT for a T3 to T5 is 1.5 hours so the system will not sell anything under that. Your flight to LHR is probably on BA.
The flight to London is on AA. Doing a search for Aug 3rd, on BA website it is showing arriving T3, departing T3. Does this sound doable?
If I miss the flight because I couldn't do the transfer in time, what happens then? It looks like there is only one flight departing from LHR to KRK daily.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
The flight to London is on AA. Doing a search for Aug 3rd, on BA website it is showing arriving T3, departing T3. Does this sound doable?
If I miss the flight because I couldn't do the transfer in time, what happens then? It looks like there is only one flight departing from LHR to KRK daily.
Ah, gotcha, BA must be moving that flight to T3 next summer.

One hour is totally doable for a T3 to T3 connection but doesn't leave much extra time if things were delayed.

But honestly seeing as this trip isn't until August of next year I wouldn't worry at all, there will be multiple schedule changes on both flights between now and then so whatever connection time you have now will not be what you end up with. Just keep an eye on it.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Ah, gotcha, BA must be moving that flight to T3 next summer.

One hour is totally doable for a T3 to T3 connection but doesn't leave much extra time if things were delayed.

But honestly seeing as this trip isn't until August of next year I wouldn't worry at all, there will be multiple schedule changes on both flights between now and then so whatever connection time you have now will not be what you end up with. Just keep an eye on it.
Thanks so much. I will probably go ahead and book and hope for a change and a longer connection.

Another question if you don't mind. I am looking at return flights from AMS to BNA for the end of Aug. The one available is a web special. If booked and there is a change in schedule, will they allow me to change to a better flight as long a origination and destination stays the same?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.