Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2022, 6:43 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by wanderingjock
Try using the Sri Lanka airlines manage my booking to edit FF# ? Sometimes works for me
Didn't work for me on Sri Lanka airlines site. I reached out to AA via chat and the representative was able to add the AA number for me.
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 6:58 pm

Another noob question: when I get the 50k AA bonus for the minimum spend on one of the AA cards, does that also translate to 50k LP? Thanks!
Old Sep 21, 2022, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Originally Posted by DCBound2016
Another noob question: when I get the 50k AA bonus for the minimum spend on one of the AA cards, does that also translate to 50k LP? Thanks!
If you mean the sign up bonus, no: https://creditcards.aa.com/aadvantag...hange_ExecCard
Old Sep 22, 2022, 4:14 pm

If I have a Flight credit that is about to expire, can I simply buy another ticket, use the credit, then cancel it again, and my "new" credit will now get me another year? I don't want to lose my credit but won't be flying in time to use it.

Do I need to wait 24 hours or so to cancel it?

thanks.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 11:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Can you fly standby on an earlier flight on a web saver award ticket if you don’t have status? Seemed unclear based on the site.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 6:17 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by enichols22124
If I have a Flight credit that is about to expire, can I simply buy another ticket, use the credit, then cancel it again, and my "new" credit will now get me another year? I don't want to lose my credit but won't be flying in time to use it.

Do I need to wait 24 hours or so to cancel it?

thanks.
My understanding is that any ticket associated with the flight credit is not subject to the 24-hour cancel rule. I think there may also be situations where you can’t use it for refundable tickets.

Provided you have a trip that you think you may fly, I’d use the flight credit and if you need to change your plans in the future, change it then. Since you’re changing and not canceling, you should be fine.

There’s a thread on flight vs. trip credits with the details, and you should make sure there are no terms where a trip has to be taken within one year of the originally-scheduled trip.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 9:39 am

Hi all - I will be arriving in ORD from DUB on AA (so will have cleared the border in DUB) before another AA flight to LAX. Is my checked baggage transferred straight through or will I have to pick it up at ORD?
Old Sep 23, 2022, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by AIKE
Hi all - I will be arriving in ORD from DUB on AA (so will have cleared the border in DUB) before another AA flight to LAX. Is my checked baggage transferred straight through or will I have to pick it up at ORD?
It will be transferred straight to your LAX flight (assuming of course it's all on the same ticket).
Old Sep 23, 2022, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
It will be transferred straight to your LAX flight (assuming of course it's all on the same ticket).
It is indeed. Thanks for the info.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 1:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Are you sure?! Any time I've arrived in the US I've needed to walk my checked back in hand through customs and re-check for connecting flights within the US.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by AIKE
Originally Posted by AAdamE
Are you sure?! Any time I've arrived in the US I've needed to walk my checked back in hand through customs and re-check for connecting flights within the US.
In this specific case, AIKE is arriving from DUB which is a pre-clearance airport so on arrival at ORD he will be treated like any other domestic arrival. If he wasn't arriving from a pre-clearance airport, then yes he would have to retrieve bags.
AAdamE and AIKE like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by wrp96
In this specific case, AIKE is arriving from DUB which is a pre-clearance airport so on arrival at ORD he will be treated like any other domestic arrival. If he wasn't arriving from a pre-clearance airport, then yes he would have to retrieve bags.
Moreover the flight will arrive into Terminal 3 just like a domestic arrival.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 4:38 pm

If I book an award ticket with two other people, can I split the PNR and cancel my ticket and not have the other two peoples reservation cancelled?
Old Sep 23, 2022, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by AAdamE
If I book an award ticket with two other people, can I split the PNR and cancel my ticket and not have the other two peoples reservation cancelled?
Yes, you should be able to do that. I’d confirm with the agent and make your intentions clear before executing.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 5:42 am

Guys - is there any way to see availability for etihad, qatar, cathay using AA miles online? Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.