Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2022, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Well, wait! You didn't mention DEL originally. Is AUH-DEL on your same PNR? Is it on a OneWorld airline? If not, AA is under no obligation to get you to DEL, just AUH.
If it's on one ticket, the late-delivering carrier is responsible for getting the passenger to his final destination. Doesn't matter whether the other carrier is oneworld.

But if CLT-ORD-AUH is on one ticket, and AUH-DEL is on a separate ticket, then you're right: AA's obligation would merely be to get the passenger to AUH, not DEL.
SpammersAreScum likes this.

Last edited by guv1976; Sep 3, 2022 at 5:03 pm
Old Sep 3, 2022, 11:29 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite : HH Blue : AA : WR : VX Elevate : VS Flying Club : Amtk GR
Best Way To Capitalize On My FC Tocket

I haven't flown AA or any airline for a better part of 10 yrs, and in such it seems a alot has changed since then.

I have no status and only 7k in miles, I will be flying from XNA to PHL after a loop around the US via Amtrak.

What routing would be the best way to capitalize on my First Class ticket?

XNA - ORD - PHL
XNA - CLT - PHL
XNA - DFW - PHL
XNA - DCA - PHL
Old Sep 3, 2022, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshiro Hitsugaya
I haven't flown AA or any airline for a better part of 10 yrs, and in such it seems a alot has changed since then.

I have no status and only 7k in miles, I will be flying from XNA to PHL after a loop around the US via Amtrak.

What routing would be the best way to capitalize on my First Class ticket?

XNA - ORD - PHL
XNA - CLT - PHL
XNA - DFW - PHL
XNA - DCA - PHL
Tell us what you mean by "capitalize on." Your domestic ticket will not get you Admirals Club access regardless of routing; and most travel on AA these days earns mileage based on the pre-tax fare, regardless of routing.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 1:49 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite : HH Blue : AA : WR : VX Elevate : VS Flying Club : Amtk GR
Originally Posted by guv1976
Tell us what you mean by "capitalize on." Your domestic ticket will not get you Admirals Club access regardless of routing; and most travel on AA these days earns mileage based on the pre-tax fare, regardless of routing.
Thanks, so there's no longer the bonus for flying a higher class of service?

I'm still booking FC, but if theres no added bonus whats the best airport to have my layover in?
Old Sep 4, 2022, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hello, my family and I are booked to travel from London to Barbados via Miami with AA. The LHR > MIA flight is booked in Flagship First, we then have an overnight layover in MIA before continuing the next morning with AA to BGI in Business Class. This is all booked as one ticket. My question is will we be able to access the Flagship lounge in MIA on our way to BGI? I know if it was a same day connection the inbound LHR > MIA boarding passes would be sufficient but since it's the next day I'm not sure if that still works? I have oneworld emerald status but the rest of the family don't. Thanks for your help with this.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, so there's no longer the bonus for flying a higher class of service?

I'm still booking FC, but if theres no added bonus whats the best airport to have my layover in?
No longer a class-of-service bonus when flying AA metal on published fares.

​​​​​​I would probably just choose the routing with reasonable times at the connecting airport.

If you have lounge access through Priority Pass or certain credit cards, that might affect your choice of connecting airports. And if this trip is going to occur during hurricane season, I would avoid MIA; if during the Winter, I would avoid Northern airports.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by woodey
Hello, my family and I are booked to travel from London to Barbados via Miami with AA. The LHR > MIA flight is booked in Flagship First, we then have an overnight layover in MIA before continuing the next morning with AA to BGI in Business Class. This is all booked as one ticket. My question is will we be able to access the Flagship lounge in MIA on our way to BGI? I know if it was a same day connection the inbound LHR > MIA boarding passes would be sufficient but since it's the next day I'm not sure if that still works? I have oneworld emerald status but the rest of the family don't. Thanks for your help with this.
Technically by the rules no FL access for everyone since your qualifying flight is the day before. However, IME as long as you're connecting within 24 hrs and everything is on the same ticket they don't enforce this (or don't know) and will wave you in.

When you get to the FL, I would hand them your LHR-MIA boarding pass, mutter something about just coming from London and on the way to Barbados, and just let them scan it and don't say anything else.

Also, assuming your Emerald status is not AA or AS then you can definitely access the FL +1 guest. And AA provides Admirals Club access for any international business class.

So worst case you could access the FL with a guest, and everyone else could use the AC, or you could all use the AC if you don't want to split up.
woodey likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Yea, I wouldn't overthink this, just pick whatever has the quickest or most convenient schedule as guv mentioned.

For a short domestic connection there's nothing at any of those airports worth going out of your way for. DFW is nicer than CLT, for example, but for a simple XNA-PHL itinerary it's not worth backtracking and adding 2-3 hours of travel time just to connect through DFW.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 11:47 am

Ticket ok on AA but to confirm on BA

not sure if this belongs on here or the BA forum, but as the ticket is AA stock, booked on AAs website, I figured this would be more appropriate. With the schedule changes, a ticket for December got slowly and in stages, but completely disfigured in the last week or so. I was able to get something confirmed on the phone with AA this morning (Berlin time) that fit my needs and got a new ticket via email a few hours later (no extra cost). No oddities on that confirmation other than that the flights were now a return ticket (originally booked as multi-city) and the amount paid was now showing close to 500.000€.
The ticket includes some travel on BA, including a flight cancelled with the winter cancellations of BA a few weeks ago. Ever since that day I can´t access the booking on BAs website using the AA provided specific BA booking confirmation, I instead get the following message:

"We’re sorry that your flight to X has been cancelled. We’ve gone ahead and booked you onto the next available flight.

Call your original travel agent to change or cancel your trip."

When on the phone with AA they said everything (explicitly including the segment affected by BA cancellations) was fine now and that I was ok to fly. I asked the AA-agent to reserve a seat on the changed BA flight, which they couldn´t do as its a BA operated flight.
Called BA a few hours later to select a seat as it still did not work online (same above mentioned message). BA-Agent told me I was not ok to fly, he could do nothing as the ticket was under Travel Agency control and there were 18 flights booked for my 10 segment ticket. Called back to AA who told me again that everything was fine.
So, is it just bad IT that needs a long time to update or should I be worried. And if so, what could I even do? Cancelling and rebooking would be a bad option as the same flights are now more than double the cost.

Last edited by Hudute; Sep 4, 2022 at 11:52 am
Old Sep 4, 2022, 11:57 am

Exleftseat

"Sorry to barge in. I realize there probably is a lengthy thread about where to sit in which plane, but I couldn't find it. After a three year Covid break, traveling LAX to HND on a 787-800.
Due to exorbitant pricing not in the pointy end but first time in Premium Economy. Legroom is priority as I am 6'5". Chose seats 6A/C. Was this a good choice? Or too close to the lav?
Plenty of legroom? Looks as if bulkhead doesn't have cutouts, meaning legroom more restricted than non bulkhead seat? Any helpful suggestions?"

Have a look at seatguru.com. Very helpful site. I don't have firsthand knowledge, maybe some others here do.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 12:51 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by erdoran

Have a look at seatguru.com. Very helpful site. I don't have firsthand knowledge, maybe some others here do.
SeatGuru is terrible.

If you want up-to-date and accurate seat maps use aeroLOPA.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
SeatGuru is terrible.

If you want up-to-date and accurate seat maps use aeroLOPA.
Thanks, learn something new every day!! So going to both sites, there's an inconsistency with the seat map for my flights DOH-MLE-DOH on QR. IB2493 and 2494 (flown on QR metal) both show they are Boeing 777-300ER; however the seat maps for selecting my seat on QR website are totally different from the ones on both of the seat review sites. Both sites show business ending somewhere around row 11 or earlier; however, on QR website for my business seat selections business BEGINS at row 11. I've looked at all the variations on aerolopa and none match the config for my flights. Not sure how to reconcile the differences?
Old Sep 4, 2022, 1:16 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by erdoran
Not sure how to reconcile the differences?
I suggest reaching out to aeroLOPA at [email protected]; the site is owned by Prospero, one of our moderators. He is very responsive and will be happy to assist.
Originally Posted by Prospero
If there are any seating diagrams that are not quite right, I'd love to hear about it
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
I suggest reaching out to aeroLOPA at [email protected]; the site is owned by Prospero, one of our moderators. He is very responsive and will be happy to assist.
Will do. I suspect the issue is QR, not aeroLOPA.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 7:02 am

Checked baggage size

I booked AMS-LHR-DFW-ONT through BA. The second and third sector are codeshares on AA.

The size limitation on checked baggage is different between the two airlines. Which policy applies in this case? How is this determined?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.