Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2023, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MADPhil
If you have already booked you can look under seat selection on AA.com. If you are planning then the simplest thing is to select Plan Travel on AA.com and then Flight Schedules, select the route and date and look at the seat maps.
Agreed, but this only works for AA metal. Doesn’t work for partner-operated flights.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 5:19 pm

Is there a minimum required segment to achieve AA Platinum Pro or Executive Platinum status? I saw on a reddit thread someone asked if it was worth doing a mattress/flight run to get the next tier status and someone replied to that as long as they got the 30 segments. I do not see any mention of required segments on the AA website only loyalty points requirement.

Last edited by nilyaj; Jan 22, 2023 at 9:56 pm
Old Jan 22, 2023, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by nilyaj
Is there a minimum required segment to achieve AA Platinum Pro or Executive Platinum status? I saw on a reddit threat someone asked if it was worth doing a mattress/flight run to get the next tier status and someone replied to that as long as they got the 30 segments. I do not see any mention of required segments on the AA website only loyalty points requirement.
There is no segment requirement to reach any status level on AA. You only need 30 segments (this year) in order to be able select any of the choice rewards.
nilyaj likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 2:26 pm

How do partner airlines recognize the difference in crediting an award ticket that is booked into J vs a J revenue ticket when you put a partner's FF number in?
Old Jan 23, 2023, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by weibelt
How do partner airlines recognize the difference in crediting an award ticket that is booked into J vs a J revenue ticket when you put a partner's FF number in?
Business Class award seats typically book into a different fare class than Business Class cash tickets. The partner airlines recognize the award fare class as a non-earning class of service.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If you book these separately you cannot merge them. But flyIng to the US you will have to claim your bags anyways at PHL to go through customs, so getting bags checked through is more or less irrelevant.

I would happily take an 85 min connection at PHL in this circumstance.

Thank you! We are in MCE and have GE. However, I see that most, if not all, PHL-MYR flights are out of Terminal F. Would you still take a 85 min connection at PHL in this circumstance? If we miss it, there looks like another flight to MYR through CLT, so not too concerned.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Business Class award seats typically book into a different fare class than Business Class cash tickets. The partner airlines recognize the award fare class as a non-earning class of service.

I am just confused because Anytime award tickets book into J (assuming booking business). There is also a J fare class then can booked with revenue.

Most airlines have separate fare buckets. I am just confused since AA seems to be booking some award classes into the full fare revenue bucket, but somewhere else might be denoting then an award ticket.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by weibelt
I am just confused because Anytime award tickets book into J (assuming booking business). There is also a J fare class then can booked with revenue.

Most airlines have separate fare buckets. I am just confused since AA seems to be booking some award classes into the full fare revenue bucket, but somewhere else might be denoting then an award ticket.
There are other indicators besides just the booking code that let AA know whether its paid or award.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 5:47 pm

I am wanting to do DFW-DOH-SIN. I want to book economy and upgrade to business with AA miles. I have done this many times to other destinations but they were all a single flight. I understand how to do the DFW-DOH leg but am having trouble with the next flight. Will AA allow me to upgrade both DFW-DOH & DOH-SIN with just 25k miles, if available? Can AA even process the upgrade for the 2nd leg or does QA have to do it? I don’t have any status with QA
Old Jan 23, 2023, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craigb1
I am wanting to do DFW-DOH-SIN. I want to book economy and upgrade to business with AA miles. I have done this many times to other destinations but they were all a single flight. I understand how to do the DFW-DOH leg but am having trouble with the next flight. Will AA allow me to upgrade both DFW-DOH & DOH-SIN with just 25k miles, if available? Can AA even process the upgrade for the 2nd leg or does QA have to do it? I don’t have any status with QA
Not possible, you cannot upgrade QR flights with AA miles.

You could possibly book DFW-JFK-DOH-SIN (with DFW-JFK-DOH on AA) and upgrade to DOH for 25k miles + $350, but there is still no way to upgrade the QR DOH-SIN leg.
WannaTheater and craigb1 like this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 6:45 pm

Hi guys I have an award flight booked for ORD-HND coming up in a few weeks in J.

Looking at flights recently, it seems that JAL is fairly likely to open F space on my flight soon as close in availability.

If that does happen, what would be the best way to go about changing my itinerary from J to F? The cost should be 20k more miles.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quitecryptic
Hi guys I have an award flight booked for ORD-HND coming up in a few weeks in J.

Looking at flights recently, it seems that JAL is fairly likely to open F space on my flight soon as close in availability.

If that does happen, what would be the best way to go about changing my itinerary from J to F? The cost should be 20k more miles.
You can put the F award on hold at aa.com, cancel the J award and have the miles redeposited, then go back and ticket the F award.

You could also just call AA and they can do everything in one phone call.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 9:51 pm

Gotcha, thanks. Sort of figured that, but thought maybe there was a way to do it directly.

Since I have the points already is there any harm if I just booked it (not hold), then make sure it tickets before canceling the other one? Does AA have any sort of detection that you are on the same flight twice to not allow that?
Old Jan 23, 2023, 10:27 pm

Hi guys newbie here….

is it no longer available to search QR award tickets on AA? Trying to locate tickets to MLE… appreciated

Last edited by davidlin15; Jan 23, 2023 at 10:39 pm
Old Jan 24, 2023, 5:01 am

Programs: AY GOLD, HH GOLD
Hi,

just booked award with AA and have no status with them anymore. However I do have status with AY. Is there any way to add that FF account to award booking in order to obtain benefits for seat choice etc.?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.