Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2023, 8:52 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Is there any place to lookup which configuration a flight is? For example, while booking I can see this flight info: AA 2353 321-Airbus A321.
But trying to cross-referencing on Aerolopa website, I don’t know which A321 configuration it is.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 10:34 am

I booked FCO-ORD-CLT-MYR for 50,000 AA points, all in one PNR. I see FCO - PHL for 35.5k points and PHL - MYR for 10k points. 1) Am I able to merge the two award bookings if I booked the two separate segments? I'd like to do this in case of IRROPS and for checked luggage 2) If so, is it worth it to risk a 85 mins INTL-DOM layover at PHL to save 4.5k AA points AND another stop? Thank you!
Old Jan 21, 2023, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by DCBound2016
I booked FCO-ORD-CLT-MYR for 50,000 AA points, all in one PNR. I see FCO - PHL for 35.5k points and PHL - MYR for 10k points. 1) Am I able to merge the two award bookings if I booked the two separate segments? I'd like to do this in case of IRROPS and for checked luggage 2) If so, is it worth it to risk a 85 mins INTL-DOM layover at PHL to save 4.5k AA points AND another stop? Thank you!
Have you tried holding both the FCO-PHL and the PHL-MYR segments via the multi-city award-booking engine?

Is 85 minutes a legal I-D connection time at PHL?
Old Jan 21, 2023, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Have you tried holding both the FCO-PHL and the PHL-MYR segments via the multi-city award-booking engine?

Is 85 minutes a legal I-D connection time at PHL?
Thanks! When I tried to do that, it was priced at 65k points. Looks like 75 minutes is the MCT at PHL but not entirely sure.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by DCBound2016
If you book these separately you cannot merge them. But flyIng to the US you will have to claim your bags anyways at PHL to go through customs, so getting bags checked through is more or less irrelevant.

I would happily take an 85 min connection at PHL in this circumstance.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If you book these separately you cannot merge them. But flyIng to the US you will have to claim your bags anyways at PHL to go through customs, so getting bags checked through is more or less irrelevant.

I would happily take an 85 min connection at PHL in this circumstance.
If the bags are not checked through, can one re-check them at the post-Customs bag drop, or does one has to go to the AA ticket counter to do so? If the latter, that might eat up some of the time allowed for the connection.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 3:50 pm

Accuracy of seat diagrams?

I'm planning on buying two tix for a flight from DFW to MIA in April. I knew we were making this flight since last summer, but to buy the tix then the price was around $250/$300 each. I know I should be pulling the trigger on these seats soon, but the prices for the 2-3 nonstops we want are all over $350-450. I should point out that this is for a Saturday, traditionally a slower travel day, and it's after Easter and Passover so that's not a factor. I check the seat diagrams on AA.com for flights on that day and they all show half the seats unsold. Are those diagrams accurate? Are the planes more crowded than they're letting on? When I check for flights closer in that are say, in a week, there are fewer open seats but at least a quarter are listed as available. What gives? And when will AA have a spring sale? (I know, no one knows.)
Old Jan 21, 2023, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by National2MIA
I'm planning on buying two tix for a flight from DFW to MIA in April. I knew we were making this flight since last summer, but to buy the tix then the price was around $250/$300 each. I know I should be pulling the trigger on these seats soon, but the prices for the 2-3 nonstops we want are all over $350-450. I should point out that this is for a Saturday, traditionally a slower travel day, and it's after Easter and Passover so that's not a factor. I check the seat diagrams on AA.com for flights on that day and they all show half the seats unsold. Are those diagrams accurate? Are the planes more crowded than they're letting on? When I check for flights closer in that are say, in a week, there are fewer open seats but at least a quarter are listed as available. What gives? And when will AA have a spring sale? (I know, no one knows.)
Not everyone who buys a ticket selects a seat immediately. (Passengers booking Basic Economy have to pay for an advance seat selection, unless they have status.)

Flexibility is the key: On both April 22 and 29, I'm seeing Basic Economy for as low as $203 on some of the nonstops. If you can make it work for you, flying into FLL might be even cheaper.
wrp96 and National2MIA like this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 5:14 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
Is there any place to lookup which configuration a flight is? For example, while booking I can see this flight info: AA 2353 321-Airbus A321.
But trying to cross-referencing on Aerolopa website, I don’t know which A321 configuration it is.
AeroLOPA shows four configs but there are really only three as the fourth one is gone. The A321K is the only regular A321 configuration. A321T is the transcon version and A321neo is the third one.

To tell them apart:
A321K ends at row 36
A321neo ends at row 37
A321T has an economy cabin that begins at row 11 and ends at row 22
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 9:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PPro
If I were to buy an economy class ticket and upgrade with points to business, would the business class ticket come from the same pool as award tickets or is there a separate inventory for points upgrades? How would one find out if there is availability for an upgrade on a particular flight?
Old Jan 22, 2023, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by diburning
AeroLOPA shows four configs but there are really only three as the fourth one is gone. The A321K is the only regular A321 configuration. A321T is the transcon version and A321neo is the third one.

To tell them apart:
A321K ends at row 36
A321neo ends at row 37
A321T has an economy cabin that begins at row 11 and ends at row 22
Thanks. I am looking for how to figure this out for many upcoming flights. My current process is to go to expertflyer, create a fake seat alert so I can see how many seats are in each cabin, which then lets me know which configuration. I am wondering if there is an easier way.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by skviolet98
If I were to buy an economy class ticket and upgrade with points to business, would the business class ticket come from the same pool as award tickets or is there a separate inventory for points upgrades? How would one find out if there is availability for an upgrade on a particular flight?
Yes, upgrade inventory is different from award inventory. If you have SWU's in your account then you can view upgrade space at aa.com, but otherwise the only way to see it is with a paid subscription to ExpertFlyer (they do offer a free trial).
Old Jan 22, 2023, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes, upgrade inventory is different from award inventory. If you have SWU's in your account then you can view upgrade space at aa.com, but otherwise the only way to see it is with a paid subscription to ExpertFlyer (they do offer a free trial).
Yes, this is a catch-22... I want to check out routes to see if I want to pick SWUs for my loyalty awards... but I cannot see upgrade space unless I already have SWUs in my account
Old Jan 22, 2023, 8:36 am

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
Thanks. I am looking for how to figure this out for many upcoming flights. My current process is to go to expertflyer, create a fake seat alert so I can see how many seats are in each cabin, which then lets me know which configuration. I am wondering if there is an easier way.
Instead of setting up a seat alert, simply look up the seat map to see the configuration.
Alternatively, search for the flight on the AA webpage and pull up the seat map.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 11:09 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
If you have already booked you can look under seat selection on AA.com. If you are planning then the simplest thing is to select Plan Travel on AA.com and then Flight Schedules, select the route and date and look at the seat maps.
Donjohnson33139 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.