Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2023, 5:12 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by altabello
Connection in ORD 52 minutes. If I miss the day‘s last AA flight to destination, will they re-book me on another airline, rather then providing hotel? The next AA flight isn’t until mid morning the next day, which would delay me at a meeting. UA has a flight in the evening. Thanks
anyone? Is this not the place to ask?
Old Jan 25, 2023, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Not possible, otherwise everyone would be doing it.
I do know (15 years ago) they would do this for you if you had an upcoming AA booking and it was under 1000 or so miles. But it sounds like you’ve tried and it was shot down.

Thanks for the reply.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by AUSMatt
I do know (15 years ago) they would do this for you if you had an upcoming AA booking and it was under 1000 or so miles. But it sounds like you’ve tried and it was shot down.

Thanks for the reply.
AA is a very different airline now than 15 years ago

They also used to have small grace allowance they'd just give you if you were short in qualifying. I remember years ago I ended up at like 49,750 EQM and they gave me PLT requalification.

That said I haven't personally tried asking for any sort of leniency under the new LP scheme, so while I'm guessing your answer will be no you have nothing to lose by trying, other than your time on hold.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 7:34 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Connection in ORD 52 minutes. If I miss the day‘s last AA flight to destination, will they re-book me on another airline, rather then providing hotel? The next AA flight isn’t until mid morning the next day, which would delay me at a meeting. UA has a flight in the evening. Thanks
From my experiences on any airline, the answer is "it depends." If something like weather gets in the way and causes a delay where you would miss the connection, your chances of getting anything from the airline are slim (i.e. rebook on another carrier, hotel room, etc.)
If there is some form of mechanical/operational issue, which can be attributed to AA, then I could see the case for them rebooking on another carrier.

For specific AA policy on such a matter, you may want to call AA customer service and ask.... I don't know if it is published anywhere.

DISCLAIMER: Above is from my experiences only. Yours may differ.
altabello likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
It depends. If the reason for your missed connection is a mechanical delay, then AA might be willing to book you on another airline that evening, if there is space. If the reason for the missed connection isn't within AA's control (weather, ATC delays, etc), then AA won't even provide a hotel, and the likelihood of being rerouted on another airline is very low, especially if you aren't an EXP or CK.

It also depends on things like domestic vs. international, what class you've booked, etc. If you give us more details like airports involved, it would help us give better answers.
altabello likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 7:49 am

Guys - are aadvantage bookings still fully refundable upto the time of travel including refunding taxes? Thanks
Old Jan 25, 2023, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by sam007
Guys - are aadvantage bookings still fully refundable upto the time of travel including refunding taxes? Thanks
Yep.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 9:58 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
So I know the cut off for check in and for bags is 45 mins for domestic and 60 mins for international. However, what if you're flying on a domestic flight that connects to an international flight. Do you have to check in 45 mins or 60 mins before the first flight if you have luggage?
Old Jan 25, 2023, 10:33 am

Admirals Club Access question

Definite newbie question:

We are flying BNA to St Thomas (STT) through MIA round trip (First between BNA and MIA; Business between STT and MIA in both directions). I'm pretty sure the STT leg will allow Admirals Club access in MIA in both directions; my question is does this itinerary allow Admirals club access in Nashville before the outbound flight (the first leg is first class, but not international)?
Thanks,
Old Jan 25, 2023, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Juanefny
So I know the cut off for check in and for bags is 45 mins for domestic and 60 mins for international. However, what if you're flying on a domestic flight that connects to an international flight. Do you have to check in 45 mins or 60 mins before the first flight if you have luggage?
As you mention, these are both the cutoff times per the AA website.

I would recommend getting checked in at least an hour prior to any flights on AA, especially with an international segment in the itinerary.
... nothing worse than a massive security line, or if you are counting on a short line in TSA-pre (if you have it), and they open those lanes to everyone because they have the dogs out, which can make the TSA-pre wait longer than expected. (They do this at TPA)

Other than that unsolicited advice, I do not know the answer to your question
Old Jan 25, 2023, 11:03 am

Hello!

I have an upcoming trip MAD-LHR-JFK-SFO booked through AA, issued on 001 stock. The itinerary is mixed AA/BA/IB with all AA codeshare numbers all in J. I am OWE through BA.

Both of the AA transcons (JFK-SFO & SFO-JFK) had a schedule change yesterday on an upcoming trip booked through AA, and it threw out some connections (one went up from 3 hours to 6, one went down from 3 hours to 1). I was confused at the auto-rebooking with no options but after reading a little bit on here about AA's schedule changes I checked the timetables for flights that worked better for me.

I called up, and the agent was very helpful and able to sort everything out. At the end of the call she said there was some follow-up work to sort it out and that I'd receive a confirmation email with the schedule change soon.

It's been more than 24 hours now and I've not received it yet, and the itinerary has not changed when I retrieve the booking on the AA website. Is this normal? how long should I be waiting before calling up again?

Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2023, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by wrp96
It depends.
It also depends on things like domestic vs. international, what class you've booked, etc. If you give us more details like airports involved, it would help us give better answers.
Main cabin, no status, one itinerary, domestic. Can’t get to ORD earlier, last flight to MEM leaves 4:35pm. UA had an 8:40pm flight if I miss the AA.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Main cabin, no status, one itinerary, domestic. Can’t get to ORD earlier, last flight to MEM leaves 4:35pm. UA had an 8:40pm flight if I miss the AA.
Main cabin no status domestic only itinerary, highly unlikely AA would move you to UA if you missed the connection. Could it happen? Yes so you should always ask if in that situation.
altabello likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trolleymusic
Hello!

I have an upcoming trip MAD-LHR-JFK-SFO booked through AA, issued on 001 stock. The itinerary is mixed AA/BA/IB with all AA codeshare numbers all in J. I am OWE through BA.

Both of the AA transcons (JFK-SFO & SFO-JFK) had a schedule change yesterday on an upcoming trip booked through AA, and it threw out some connections (one went up from 3 hours to 6, one went down from 3 hours to 1). I was confused at the auto-rebooking with no options but after reading a little bit on here about AA's schedule changes I checked the timetables for flights that worked better for me.

I called up, and the agent was very helpful and able to sort everything out. At the end of the call she said there was some follow-up work to sort it out and that I'd receive a confirmation email with the schedule change soon.

It's been more than 24 hours now and I've not received it yet, and the itinerary has not changed when I retrieve the booking on the AA website. Is this normal? how long should I be waiting before calling up again?

Thanks!
I wouldn't have gotten off the phone until the correct itinerary was showing up online, so I would go ahead and call.
trolleymusic likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 3:34 pm

Programs: B6 M4, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
What's the meal service like on AA 10 LAX-JFK red-eye in flagship biz? And how does it differ from a day-time flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.