Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2023, 6:55 pm

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
First of all, many thanks for the suggestion you have shared with me on my previous query. I ended up selecting main cabin at the end as I wanted to ensure I sat with my wife (route was ATL-MIA) even though the flights was not super full and probably could have chance it with a basic economy ticket as a OneWorld Sapphire I still got the same luggage allowance.

anyway, I have another question:

I received an offer to upgrade to First (Business Class fare equivalent) on the outbound, for $70. I did not take it but immediately had second thoughts as it was probably a good deal for 35 TP more (BAEC). Question for the AA experts: what is a good upgrade offer in $ for such a route/flight duration? Is $70 pretty standard or it vary considerably? I am familiar with BA upgrades and I have taken them up at £64 some time when the regular offer on the same route is usually £90
Old Feb 12, 2023, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo
First of all, many thanks for the suggestion you have shared with me on my previous query. I ended up selecting main cabin at the end as I wanted to ensure I sat with my wife (route was ATL-MIA) even though the flights was not super full and probably could have chance it with a basic economy ticket as a OneWorld Sapphire I still got the same luggage allowance.

anyway, I have another question:

I received an offer to upgrade to First (Business Class fare equivalent) on the outbound, for $70. I did not take it but immediately had second thoughts as it was probably a good deal for 35 TP more (BAEC). Question for the AA experts: what is a good upgrade offer in $ for such a route/flight duration? Is $70 pretty standard or it vary considerably? I am familiar with BA upgrades and I have taken them up at £64 some time when the regular offer on the same route is usually £90
If you take the upgrade, are you sure that you will earn Business Class TPs, as opposed to the TPs you would earn based on the fare basis of your actual ticket?

TPs aside, everyone is different. If I were in a Main Cabin Extra (extra-leg-room) seat on a two-hour AA flight, I doubt that I would pay much if anything for an upgrade to First Class. MCE seats include free alcoholic beverages, if that makes a difference to you. As a BAEC oneworld Sapphire, you should have been able to select MCE seats for free at time of booking -- even on a Basic Economy fare -- as long as aa.com recognized your OWS status.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 9:27 pm

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by guv1976
If you take the upgrade, are you sure that you will earn Business Class TPs, as opposed to the TPs you would earn based on the fare basis of your actual ticket?

TPs aside, everyone is different. If I were in a Main Cabin Extra (extra-leg-room) seat on a two-hour AA flight, I doubt that I would pay much if anything for an upgrade to First Class. MCE seats include free alcoholic beverages, if that makes a difference to you. As a BAEC oneworld Sapphire, you should have been able to select MCE seats for free at time of booking -- even on a Basic Economy fare -- as long as aa.com recognized your OWS status.
thanks, yes I was able to select the main cabin extra seats on both ways at time of booking. I considered basic economy but seats were not selectable until OLCI open, hence why I went for main cabin. And indeed I was offered drinks including wine.

with regards to TP, normally with BA if it is a cash upgrade (even if part paid with Avios), it will award the higher class TP, but if it was an Avios only upgrade, it would not. This has worked for me with Qatar but no experience yet with AA. So, yes I would do it only for the TP as it would work to £1.65 per TP which is pretty good, but if I may not get the extra TP, than it is not worth it.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo
thanks, yes I was able to select the main cabin extra seats on both ways at time of booking. I considered basic economy but seats were not selectable until OLCI open, hence why I went for main cabin.
That's true for oneworld Rubies; oneworld Sapphires and Emeralds may select free MCE seats at time of booking, even on Basic Economy fares. Otherwise, there would be no distinction between OWR, on the one hand, and OWS/OWE, on the other. Details here:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...abin-extra.jsp

(Scroll down to "AAdvantage status member access," which also describes access for qualifying oneworld status members from other programs.)
marcopizzaiuolo likes this.

Last edited by guv1976; Feb 12, 2023 at 10:15 pm
Old Feb 12, 2023, 10:51 pm

I have always flown solo, but now have a need to fly with others. I have Platinum status at the moment (may move to Platinum Pro next year - unsure yet). The other flyers have no status.

I booked a round-trip ticket for myself, before I knew that others would like to take the same outbound flight with me. I now have 2 separate reservations (my solo round-trip ticket and the other's one-way ticket). I need to retain my inbound segments, but want to move my outbound segments to be on the same reservation as the others. Do I have to fly my inbound segments before calling to combine the tickets? Or can I call now and have them combine all of the outbound segments onto one reservation? I'd like to pick seats for all of us ASAP [MCE] before they are blocked or booked by others.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by JustDandy
I have always flown solo, but now have a need to fly with others. I have Platinum status at the moment (may move to Platinum Pro next year - unsure yet). The other flyers have no status.

I booked a round-trip ticket for myself, before I knew that others would like to take the same outbound flight with me. I now have 2 separate reservations (my solo round-trip ticket and the other's one-way ticket). I need to retain my inbound segments, but want to move my outbound segments to be on the same reservation as the others. Do I have to fly my inbound segments before calling to combine the tickets? Or can I call now and have them combine all of the outbound segments onto one reservation? I'd like to pick seats for all of us ASAP [MCE] before they are blocked or booked by others.
Once tickets are booked there is no way to just combine the PNR's like you're talking about.

However it is never a problem to get companions seated next to you in MCE/preferred seats for no charge, even if they are on separate reservations. You just have to call AA.
JustDandy likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 7:27 am
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
I don't think this is worth a new thread...

Flying DEN-LHR on BA metal booked thru AA. was able to get a SWU applied (yay!).
I will need to position to DEN from DFW earlier in the day. If i try to add the flight into the same itinerary, it prices really funky. Can i book the DFW-DEN on a separate locator and have AA protect my connection?
Old Feb 13, 2023, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DreAAmliner
I don't think this is worth a new thread...

Flying DEN-LHR on BA metal booked thru AA. was able to get a SWU applied (yay!).
I will need to position to DEN from DFW earlier in the day. If i try to add the flight into the same itinerary, it prices really funky. Can i book the DFW-DEN on a separate locator and have AA protect my connection?
No. Just make sure to leave enough connection time at DEN.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 8:32 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Trying to get missing credit from CX flight to AA FF Account

After 3 calls (all with long wait and multiple transfers) to CX in vain, 2 agents insisted that I call AA.
Before I call AA, I have this question to which perhaps someone can provide some insight.

I flew CX on a revenue ticket (on CX stock). At booking, I made sure that my AA FF# was on my Asia Miles account. After more than 2 months post flight, neither my AA account nor CX's Asia Miles account received any credit.

Given the above, do you think AA would take care of this? Thanks.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by allset2travel
After 3 calls (all with long wait and multiple transfers) to CX in vain, 2 agents insisted that I call AA.
Before I call AA, I have this question to which perhaps someone can provide some insight.

I flew CX on a revenue ticket (on CX stock). At booking, I made sure that my AA FF# was on my Asia Miles account. After more than 2 months post flight, neither my AA account nor CX's Asia Miles account received any credit.

Given the above, do you think AA would take care of this? Thanks.
Yes, if you're trying to credit to AA then AA is who you need to be calling, not CX.

Note that for missing mileage requests you need to call AAdvantage Customer Service (800-882-8880), not the usual reservations number.

Have you tried just filling out the missing mileage request form at aa.com?

Also I assume that your ticket was booked under an eligible fare code? Most discount economy fares on CX earn nothing, you can find the earning table at aa.com.
allset2travel likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 10:05 am

I have a flight on hold because I did not have enough miles to book for myself and the other passenger. However, we have enough miles between the two of us for the trip. I thought I read that you could call AA for them to process it out of each account's miles, but when I called they said I had to transfer miles to my account and pay the fee.

Is this true or is there another way to do this?
Old Feb 13, 2023, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cheapsk8te
I have a flight on hold because I did not have enough miles to book for myself and the other passenger. However, we have enough miles between the two of us for the trip. I thought I read that you could call AA for them to process it out of each account's miles, but when I called they said I had to transfer miles to my account and pay the fee.

There is no way to split payment on a single PNR.

What you can do is call AA back and ask them to split the PNR, then you can pay for yours from your account, and the other pax can pay for theirs from their account.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this just a one-way or a roundtrip?
Old Feb 13, 2023, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Is this just a one-way or a roundtrip?
Roundtrip.

After I thought about it I was trying not to wipe out her miles, but it will be significantly cheaper for me to just give her the minimum needed and book from her account, which will leave her with nothing. We both never really travel with AA, but of the two of us she is more likely to need a random one-way in the future, which she may have had enough to cover, but oh well.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Roundtrip.

After I thought about it I was trying not to wipe out her miles, but it will be significantly cheaper for me to just give her the minimum needed and book from her account, which will leave her with nothing. We both never really travel with AA, but of the two of us she is more likely to need a random one-way in the future, which she may have had enough to cover, but oh well.
Without transferring any miles, does either of you have enough miles to book one roundtrip, plus one one-way for the other passenger? All AA awards are available as one-ways, although in some cases, a roundtrip will price cheaper than the sum of two one-ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.