FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread
Old Feb 12, 2023, 9:27 pm
marcopizzaiuolo

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by guv1976
If you take the upgrade, are you sure that you will earn Business Class TPs, as opposed to the TPs you would earn based on the fare basis of your actual ticket?

TPs aside, everyone is different. If I were in a Main Cabin Extra (extra-leg-room) seat on a two-hour AA flight, I doubt that I would pay much if anything for an upgrade to First Class. MCE seats include free alcoholic beverages, if that makes a difference to you. As a BAEC oneworld Sapphire, you should have been able to select MCE seats for free at time of booking -- even on a Basic Economy fare -- as long as aa.com recognized your OWS status.
thanks, yes I was able to select the main cabin extra seats on both ways at time of booking. I considered basic economy but seats were not selectable until OLCI open, hence why I went for main cabin. And indeed I was offered drinks including wine.

with regards to TP, normally with BA if it is a cash upgrade (even if part paid with Avios), it will award the higher class TP, but if it was an Avios only upgrade, it would not. This has worked for me with Qatar but no experience yet with AA. So, yes I would do it only for the TP as it would work to £1.65 per TP which is pretty good, but if I may not get the extra TP, than it is not worth it.