FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread
Old Jan 28, 2023, 7:23 pm
marcopizzaiuolo

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by pspaster
Hi all -

My wife and I are planning a short hop from DCA to BOS (one way), and the specific flight we want is an A319 with 3 seats in each row/each side. We'd like to book 3 seats for the two of us, few questions:

1. can this be done online? If so, is there a specific name/format we should enter for the third 'passenger'...? Or do we need to call in to reservations?
2. What should we know in terms of checking in, showing a boarding pass, etc.?
3. If they change the flight/equipment and we end up on something with 2 seats would we be able/likely to get a refund or anything? We're planning to book in basic economy so I think I can guess that one...
4. Anything else to consider?

Thanks so much!
from the TPG site:

American Airlines

American Airlines permits customers to book a second seat for a musical instrument because they require -- or simply want -- the additional space.

To book two seats, the customer must call reservations directly. According to an American Airlines spokesperson, the second seat must be purchased at the same fare and in the same fare class as the first seat. You can redeem AAdvantage miles for the second seat, but again, only if you redeem miles for both seats in the same fare class. Unfortunately, miles cannot be earned on the additional seat purchase even if you pay cash. Additionally, if you desire a second seat, it must be booked for the full itinerary -- not just one segment.
(https://thepointsguy.com/guide/buy-s...rican-airlines)