Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2023, 12:33 pm

I have economy tickets paid by cash for AA6949 (BA 193) a380 DFW LHR. Will AA allow me to request 25k mile upgrade to business? EF shows 5 upgradable seats currently. If not does BA offer something similar with Avios, that I could transfer AA miles to?
Old May 13, 2023, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by craigb1
I have economy tickets paid by cash for AA6949 (BA 193) a380 DFW LHR. Will AA allow me to request 25k mile upgrade to business? EF shows 5 upgradable seats currently. If not does BA offer something similar with Avios, that I could transfer AA miles to?
You cannot upgrade BA metal flights like you can an AA metal flight.

You can use AA miles to upgrade a BA flight however you must be on a full fare basis, it's usually cheaper to just buy discount business. Also these upgrades are only one class so to upgrade to business you must be in premium economy.

BA does offer upgrades with avios but you cannot just transfer AA miles to avios.

AA.com - Upgrading Partner Flights
Old May 13, 2023, 7:57 am

HI all, I know this has been asked and answered recently but for the life of me I cannot find an answer. I have a trip next week and when I booked the trip I was Gold now I am PP. Do I need to call AA to get my priority correct for the upgrade list? Thanks!!
Old May 13, 2023, 10:26 am

Programs: B6 M4, AA Plat Pro, WoH Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb, MB Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've been trying to understand how AA LP and mileage earning on fares works with status and basic economy, and I just can't figure it out.

Award Miles 711
Base miles 395
Bonus miles 316
Loyalty Points 711

This was a basic economy fare I booked as a Plat Pro.

What I want to understand is
1. Where exactly does that 2x multiplier come into play in this earning?
2. How many miles and LP could I have earned had this been a regular Y fare vs a basic fare?
Old May 13, 2023, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by lowkeyflyer
I've been trying to understand how AA LP and mileage earning on fares works with status and basic economy, and I just can't figure it out.

Award Miles 711
Base miles 395
Bonus miles 316
Loyalty Points 711

This was a basic economy fare I booked as a Plat Pro.

What I want to understand is
1. Where exactly does that 2x multiplier come into play in this earning?
2. How many miles and LP could I have earned had this been a regular Y fare vs a basic fare?
"Basic Economy tickets issued on or after January 1, 2023, for travel starting March 1, 2023 will earn award miles at a rate of 2 miles per dollar in addition to Loyalty Points. Status members bonus percentages will apply to the base mileage rate of 2 miles per dollar on American and other select partner airlines."

Source:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ic-economy.jsp
Old May 13, 2023, 1:55 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Can't book reward ticket to YYJ anymore?

I am pretty sure I have been able to find tickets to Victoria (British Columbia, Canada / YYJ) with last leg on Horizon SEA-YYJ, but now AA.com just errors out. I can find revenue tickets, but I have a bunch of AA miles that I've accumulated over the years and would like to use them.

What makes this so frustrating is that before AS joined oneworld, availability was there, but now that they are in the alliance, the reward availability is GONE

Could this be done over the phone? If so would there be a charge since it cannot be done onliine?
Old May 13, 2023, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyrsphl27
HI all, I know this has been asked and answered recently but for the life of me I cannot find an answer. I have a trip next week and when I booked the trip I was Gold now I am PP. Do I need to call AA to get my priority correct for the upgrade list? Thanks!!
Yes, call and have your status refreshed to make sure you'll be waitlisted according to your PLT Pro status.
Old May 14, 2023, 6:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by flyrsphl27
Seems like AA systems automatically adjust your upgrade when going down in status. ​​My wife booked an award trip in March as an Exp Plat, in April she dropped to Plat Pro. Her reservation continued to show "Upgrade Requested", but she never appeared on the upgrade list on the day of travel. When she asked about it at the AC she was reminded that only Exp Plats (and CKs) quality for upgrades on domestic award tickets, something we had forgotten since we have been at Exec Plat and CK status for a number of years.

​​​​​
Old May 14, 2023, 10:04 am

Hi there. I was wondering if I book AA flight through AA, but use AS number, will I earn any LPs on AA?

Also, are there any threads where anyone might be interested in sharing the cost of an AAdvantage Exec AF for the Admiral's Lounge benefit? I know you can have 10 AUs and basically turn the card spending off to mitigate any AU spending risk.
Old May 14, 2023, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scottybweyy
Hi there. I was wondering if I book AA flight through AA, but use AS number, will I earn any LPs on AA?

Also, are there any threads where anyone might be interested in sharing the cost of an AAdvantage Exec AF for the Admiral's Lounge benefit? I know you can have 10 AUs and basically turn the card spending off to mitigate any AU spending risk.
If your AS number is on the reservation then you'll earn AS miles. You must have your AA number on the reservation to earn LP's/miles from the actual flight.

And I'm not aware of any thread here for pooling or sharing a Citi Exec account with internet strangers, I'm sure this is against the rules in some form or fashion so it wouldn't fly on FT. However the internet is a big place so it wouldn't surprise me if something like this existed in the darker corners.
Old May 14, 2023, 11:33 am

Thanks that makes sense! Understood and sorry didn't mean to bridge any topic with a gray area. Appreciate you not flaming me
Old May 14, 2023, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by scottybweyy
Thanks that makes sense! Understood and sorry didn't mean to bridge any topic with a gray area. Appreciate you not flaming me
Wholly apart from whether making a complete stranger an authorized user on a credit card is permissible (it might be, I really don't know), I believe that the authorized user's Social Security number and date of birth must be supplied to the credit-card issuer by the primary cardholder. Would you be willing to share your SSN and DOB with a complete stranger just to save a few hundred dollars on Admirals Club access?
hhdl and spiritkat09 like this.
Old May 14, 2023, 12:17 pm

Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
After enduring "the utter joy of FT search futility..."

Upgrade with miles on domestic two-class metal requires "C" inventory?

Thanks for your patience AND understanding
Old May 14, 2023, 1:26 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 24.05.2004

Upgrade with miles on domestic two-class metal requires "C" inventory?

Thanks for your patience AND understanding
Yes, that's correct. Perhaps you already know, but a few other details:
- The C bucket is both a revenue fare bucket and an upgrade inventory bucket. If you're setting up an alert in ExpertFlyer, be sure to go into the "Awards and Upgrades" section.
- If you're searching for upgrade inventory, be sure to search for availability segment-by-segment, not on your whole routing. (For instance, you could search A->B->C and see upgrade inventory along the entire route. But you need to search for availability on A->B and B->C separately.)
24.05.2004 and wrp96 like this.
Old May 14, 2023, 2:07 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by 24.05.2004
You want to use Google.com advanced_search and for site or domain choose FlyerTalk.com

Now anyone can tell me why I cannot book reward ticket to YYJ (that would be AS (SEA-YYJ as last leg), a oneworld member) on AA.com?
24.05.2004 and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.