Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2022, 6:05 am

New question. If I book two outbounds to the same location 24 hours apart on mileage for next year (can't know yet which day I can leave) will American flag this
and possibly cancel these tickets?

Thank you!
Old May 7, 2022, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by livestrongforever
Thanks for responding.

So if I find a flight on google flights with oneworld partners, what is the next step in booking it as I cant find it on aa.com?
You just book it on the partner website or whatever site Google Flights takes you to (there will usually be options at the bottom). You don't have to book flights at aa.com in order to earn AA miles / loyalty points.

As always make sure to cross check your fare basis with the partner earning tables at aa.com to make sure whatever your booking is eligible to earn AA miles.
Old May 7, 2022, 8:35 am

Quick question: if I get AA platinum status (say) tomorrow, can I switch my existing award tickets to MCE (assuming there are available seats)?
Old May 7, 2022, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by GamingBuck
Quick question: if I get AA platinum status (say) tomorrow, can I switch my existing award tickets to MCE (assuming there are available seats)?
Yes, as long as your status shows up in the system then you are eligible for PLT benefits like MCE seating.

Keep in mind for existing reservations when your status changes you often need to call AA to have them refresh your status so that it shows up properly.
Old May 7, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
Originally Posted by steveholt
You can try using Powertools or BookwithMatrix, both of which work with the ITA Matrix website. You'll need to add AA+ to the routing codes under Advanced Controls for the outbound and the return.
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You just book it on the partner website or whatever site Google Flights takes you to (there will usually be options at the bottom). You don't have to book flights at aa.com in order to earn AA miles / loyalty points.

As always make sure to cross check your fare basis with the partner earning tables at aa.com to make sure whatever your booking is eligible to earn AA miles.
Sorry. I am using aa miles to book an award. Trying to use about 144k aa points to purchase a trip from bkk to SFO. But not finding any routes on the aa.com website. I may need to contact an award booking company to assist or anyone here knows how I can look at more available routes that I can use with my AA miles. That would be great. I'm open to all one world partners
Old May 7, 2022, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Sorry. I am using aa miles to book an award. Trying to use about 144k aa points to purchase a trip from bkk to SFO. But not finding any routes on the aa.com website. I may need to contact an award booking company to assist or anyone here knows how I can look at more available routes that I can use with my AA miles. That would be great. I'm open to all one world partners
China Southern is one of AA's non-oneworld redemption partners, so BKK-CAN-SFO might be a possibility -- if the flights are operating, and transit is permitted. But I'm not sure if AAdvantage award travel on China Southern can be booked on aa.com; you might have to call.

Another, more expensive option, would be to go west, via the Middle East or Europe. Two awards would be required; the upside is that you could stop over -- if desired -- where the first award ends, and the second begins. You would use the multi-city award-booking engine on aa.com to investigate this.

Last edited by guv1976; May 7, 2022 at 12:05 pm
Old May 7, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I see. Do you have a particular date or set of dates?
Old May 7, 2022, 4:12 pm

Hello! Does anyone know if I have a flight credit with AA and I book a flight for less than the amount of the flight credit, does AA issue *another* flight credit for the difference? Or is an evoucher or trip credit issued? I have read conflicting info. Thanks!
Old May 7, 2022, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by cait.roy
Hello! Does anyone know if I have a flight credit with AA and I book a flight for less than the amount of the flight credit, does AA issue *another* flight credit for the difference? Or is an evoucher or trip credit issued? I have read conflicting info. Thanks!
You get a trip credit.
Old May 7, 2022, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by marlin
New question. If I book two outbounds to the same location 24 hours apart on mileage for next year (can't know yet which day I can leave) will American flag this
and possibly cancel these tickets?

Thank you!
If it's an "impossible" booking, very likely. Otherwise it shouldn't be a problem.
Old May 7, 2022, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAdamE
Correct, they are a lower status. And we learned that only an agent can remove their status to prioritize them with me. No stickers needed anymore.
Not sure that's true yet.
Old May 7, 2022, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt
I see. Do you have a particular date or set of dates?
May 29th and coming back to BKK on July 16th From SFO. Dates can be flexbile but this is the ideal date.
Old May 7, 2022, 8:57 pm

Appreciate that. I will have to call AA to see if this is possible. I appreciate the response and follow up.
Old May 8, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: AA, Hertz, Hyatt, Hilton
Originally Posted by Hoi polloi
Not really a newbie question, but not worth an entire thread... Does terminal B at LGA still have an AA priority security lane? A member of my group doesn't have precheck, but should get priority security via my PNR. Will she be able to take advantage of this at LGA? Thanks.
The answer is "yes" (as expected) - The priority lane is carved out next to the entry for standard TSA screening (opposite side of precheck).
Old May 8, 2022, 10:05 am

I'm flying from DFW to MIA and will arrive in MIA around 11pm. My connecting flight is the next day at 10am. Do I need to retrieve my checked bags in MIA or do they keep them until the next morning flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.