Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2022, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Dopray92
Hello, all!! Thanks to all of you that continuously and patiently read and answer questions!!
This will be our first international flight as well as our first business class flight.
We will be flying into JFK American Airlines 105 from LHR (15:30). We have approx 5 hours until we fly Delta flight 4709 to BNA (20:20).

I realize there is no arrivals lounge. In a perfect world we would be able to chill in the lounge for a few hours before heading over to terminal 4 for the flight home. Is there a way we could do that?
Anyone Know how long could we leave our checked bags before claiming them?
Here in Nashville there is a little area where each airline places all the unclaimed bags for the day.
Thanks again! Looking forward to any advice!
~~Jill~~
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Because you will be flying into the U.S. from a foreign airport (LHR does not have a U.S. "pre-clearance" facility), you will have to claim your bags immediately after clearing U.S. Immigration for U.S. Customs inspection. So you will probably want to take your bags to the terminal for your departing DL flight (which might be T2 or T4) as soon as you clear Customs.

​​​​​​Edited to add: Are both flights on a single ticket? If so, the bags can be checked through to BNA. You would still have to claim them for Customs inspection, but you could then just drop them at the re-check desk after Customs, instead of having to schlep then over to your Delta terminal.

Last edited by guv1976; Apr 20, 2022 at 3:29 pm
Old Apr 20, 2022, 3:33 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Current situation:
  • Booked Y fare as a PL
  • Friend booked same flight separately
  • I called in & had them move him up to sit beside me
  • I've subsequently gotten a T-48 upgrade
Questions:
  • I assume the ship has sailed to have him as an upgrade companion (there are still 4 seats open)?
  • Can I call & move him into my old Y seat? (8A on the CRJ so he'd have under seat storage, he's currently in 8C)
TIA
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:13 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Current situation:
  • Booked Y fare as a PL
  • Friend booked same flight separately
  • I called in & had them move him up to sit beside me
  • I've subsequently gotten a T-48 upgrade
Questions:
  • I assume the ship has sailed to have him as an upgrade companion (there are still 4 seats open)?
  • Can I call & move him into my old Y seat? (8A on the CRJ so he'd have under seat storage, he's currently in 8C)
TIA
To answer my own question: you can indeed. I contacted AA & they were able to add him to the upgrade list, not sure what priority he'll be however.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
N. AMERICA to IST avoiding LHR

Hello. I am looking at itinerary options from IAH to IST. On the app, only LHR connection s are listed. But, on a multicity itinerary, I am able to find connections via CMN: the app displays such connections as 2 separate awards. Off-peak economy at 22.5K plus 12.5K. As Morocco and Turkey are both classified as "Europe" is there a logical rationsle for not allowing a connection in CMN rather than only in LHR?

Finally, on an AADVANTAGE award off-peak ticket what is the checked allowance on IAH -IST? Any additional allowance for OW Ruby holders?

Thanks
Old Apr 23, 2022, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cagcag
Hello. I am looking at itinerary options from IAH to IST. On the app, only LHR connection s are listed. But, on a multicity itinerary, I am able to find connections via CMN: the app displays such connections as 2 separate awards. Off-peak economy at 22.5K plus 12.5K. As Morocco and Turkey are both classified as "Europe" is there a logical rationsle for not allowing a connection in CMN rather than only in LHR?

Finally, on an AADVANTAGE award off-peak ticket what is the checked allowance on IAH -IST? Any additional allowance for OW Ruby holders?

Thanks
Not sure what your reluctance is to transit LHR; as long as you avoid BA for the trans-Atlantic segment, fees will be reasonable.

Trans-Atllantic Economy Class AAdvantage award tickets where the first flight is on AA metal include one free checked bag; no additional free bags for oneworld Rubies.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Not sure what your reluctance is to transit LHR; as long as you avoid BA for the trans-Atlantic segment, fees will be reasonable.

Trans-Atllantic Economy Class AAdvantage award tickets where the first flight is on AA metal include one free checked bag; no additional free bags for oneworld Rubies.
Thanks for thr prompt reply. The issue with LHR is not with BA but for the need of pax needing an UK visa
Old Apr 23, 2022, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cagcag
Thanks for thr prompt reply. The issue with LHR is not with BA but for the need of pax needing an UK visa
Ah, OK.

As to why the two awards are pricing separately, I can think of two possibilities:

1. If Royal Air Maroc does not publish a Houston-Istanbul through-fare that permits the particular routing you found, AA will not offer it as a single award. That's just the way AAdvantage awards work.

2. If the transit time in CMN exceeds 24 hours, two separate awards would be required, as stopovers are not permitted on an AAdvantage award.

(The other possibility, of course, is that it's a glitch on aa.com. If you can reserve all flights via the multi-city award-booking engine, put the flights on a free AAdvantage hold, note the record locator, and then call AA to ask if the itinerary can be re-priced as a single award for 22.5K miles.)
Old Apr 23, 2022, 10:04 pm

Ah, OK.

As to why the two awards are pricing separately, I can think of two possibilities:

1. If Royal Air Maroc does not publish a Houston-Istanbul through-fare that permits the particular routing you found, AA will not offer it as a single award. That's just the way AAdvantage awards work.

2. If the transit time in CMN exceeds 24 hours, two separate awards would be required, as stopovers are not permitted on an AAdvantage award.

(The other possibility, of course, is that it's a glitch on aa.com. If you can reserve all flights via the multi-city award-booking engine, put the flights on a free AAdvantage hold, note the record locator, and then call AA to ask if the itinerary can be re-priced as a single award for 22.5K miles.)
Old Apr 23, 2022, 10:07 pm

Excellent advice. Thanks.
Transit time in CMN. Is less than 24 hours.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Recent AA (miles redeemed) award flights completed: JFK-LAX on JetBlue, LAX-JFK on AA, 2 different awards. As expected the JetBlue flight had different confirmation codes for AA and JetBlue. Initially I couldn’t link the ticket to my TrueBlue account or see the ticket or manage the reservation on-line at JetBlue. I called JetBlue and they “attached” the ticket and JetBlue confirmation code to my TrueBlue account, I could then manage the flight online, including seat selection. I was not expecting any points or miles credits after completing the flights.

AA credited me LP, RDM and Million Miler miles for the B6 flight, none for the AA flight. Are the credits of LP, RDM and MM miles correct and/or expected? Thank you.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
AA credited me LP, RDM and Million Miler miles for the B6 flight, none for the AA flight. Are the credits of LP, RDM and MM miles correct and/or expected? Thank you.
No, you should never expect to earn any miles on an award flight. Every now and then it happens though for whatever the reason.
Dr Jabadski likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 11:09 am

Does wifi work while over land AA DFW-HNL?

Hi – I’m flying DFW – HN on AA, and curious if Wi-Fi works while still over land for part of this leg.

In the past when I flown LAX to Hawaii, The Wi-Fi works briefly until you’re over the ocean. Just curious if the same applies, because we’ll be over land for a couple hours.

thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2022, 1:30 pm

Airfare question

Don't think I've flown AA in 10+ years and had a question.

I've noticed airfares for next February/March to most of Europe (GF open search ATL-EU) have been higher than in the past, I'm sure because of pent up demand and rising fuel, etc.. Most of the prices I've seen have been in the $5500 and higher for 2 in business class from ATL.

However this morning I was searching and found ATL-(MIA/NY/DFW)-CDG rt for 2 in business for $4207. I think it was labeled as Flagship Business. This was for March 1 - March 15, 2023.

I was planning on going via DFW to check out the Capitol One lounge and wondered if this is a good airfare? We usually are heading to Germany via IST and haven't flown AA biz ever. It's usually TK, QR or BA

Thanks for any information

CJ

Last edited by RetiredATLATC; Apr 26, 2022 at 1:56 pm
Old Apr 26, 2022, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
Don't think I've flown AA in 10+ years and had a question.

I've noticed airfares for next February/March to most of Europe (GF open search ATL-EU) have been higher than in the past, I'm sure because of pent up demand and rising fuel, etc.. Most of the prices I've seen have been in the $5500 and higher for 2 in business class from ATL.

However this morning I was searching and found ATL-(MIA/NY/DFW)-CDG rt for 2 in business for $4207. I think it was labeled as Flagship Business. This was for March 1 - March 15, 2023.

I was planning on going via DFW to check out the Capitol One lounge and wondered if this is a good airfare? We usually are heading to Germany via IST and haven't flown AA biz ever. It's usually TK, QR or BA

Thanks for any information

CJ
If you are an AARP member (or are willing to become one), I would consider booking the trip with BA. AARP members get a $200 discount off of roundtrip, trans-Atlantic Business Class fares on BA. And, if you get the Chase/BA credit card, you get a 10% discount off of such fares. (My understanding is that the two discounts are stackable.)

The outbound flights would be BA codeshares operated by AA, although I'm not seeing connections via DFW on the cheapest BA fares.

If you were to credit the four segments to BA's frequent-flyer program, you would end up with oneworld Ruby status, which would you get a few nice benefits if you were to fly AA in Economy following your return from Europe.
RetiredATLATC likes this.

Last edited by guv1976; Apr 26, 2022 at 3:17 pm
Old Apr 26, 2022, 5:40 pm

If you are an AARP member (or are willing to become one), I would consider booking the trip with BA. AARP members get a $200 discount off of roundtrip, trans-Atlantic Business Class fares on BA. And, if you get the Chase/BA credit card, you get a 10% discount off of such fares. (My understanding is that the two discounts are stackable.)

The outbound flights would be BA codeshares operated by AA, although I'm not seeing connections via DFW on the cheapest BA fares.

If you were to credit the four segments to BA's frequent-flyer program, you would end up with oneworld Ruby status, which would you get a few nice benefits if you were to fly AA in Economy following your return from Europe.
Thank you. I am an AARP member, just for this reason alone. The flights I saw were mostly out of MIA, on the AARP/BA site and it did drop it to around $3800.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.