Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2016, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by stephem
I am curious how people are seeing availability at the 300+ day booking window for AA miles. I have a periodic search I run and it seems as if YVR-HKG (preferred route) still releases quite regularly five business awards at the initial booking window (as verified on BA award search). How are people finding availability after the approximately 30 days pass before we can book with AAdvantage miles? Even with the devaluation I would find these to be a decent value for getting all five of us over to Asia together.
Depends on date. We booked August travel as soon as AA and AS could, so after inventory had been hanging out there for ~30 days. Got the desired flights in both directions, 2J/4Y for one family, and for my family 1F/3J. But again, that's off peak.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stephem
I've gotten 5 seats out of YVR each year for last few years, so I'm looking at YVR specifically. I know about LAX inventory being better. But we dont really feel like flying SEA-LAX and then back up over SEA, YVR is much easier and shaves off a bunch of time.
Alrighty then. Good luck to get another year of such convenience.

We are more like "beggar cannot be chooser" type - that is a direct borrowing from our friends who are ex-CX employees and fly standby - they call their tickets "乞丐票".
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:13 pm

Random question:

Can Cathay open up Y or J space on intra Asia flight to help position me for the long haul flight?

I see availability in F for HKG back to the States, but there's no flight for me to get to HKG.

I am modifying a pre-deval ticket so I already have the positioning flight built into my ticket.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by fr33b13
Random question:

Can Cathay open up Y or J space on intra Asia flight to help position me for the long haul flight?

I see availability in F for HKG back to the States, but there's no flight for me to get to HKG.

I am modifying a pre-deval ticket so I already have the positioning flight built into my ticket.
No.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by fr33b13
Random question:

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
No.
Thanks!

There are only 10 open Y seats left in the flight I want.... I REALLY hope I get lucky and CX opens one of them for award.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:00 pm

Would love if anyone has any insights on this - my award booking has been "Ticket Pending" on AA for a month, but has been "Confirmed" on CX as soon as I got off the phone with the original agent who got me on this flight.

Here's all the detail:
  • Booked pre-devaluation HKG-JFK in F
  • Modified a handful of times to get closer to the ideal flight
  • Saw CX888 on Jan 3 opened up in F, so I called and got on it
  • Went to CX's site as soon as I got off the phone with AA and was able to select my seat, and status showed as "Confirmed"
  • Never received an email confirmation
  • Called in a week later since it still showed "Ticket Pending" on AA.com and app, agent said she'll get it sorted and expect my email confirmation
  • 2 weeks later and still "Ticket Pending" on AA but "Confirmed" on CX, so I called AA again. Agent said it's showing as "Ticketed" on her end, but after further questions, she was able to see what I saw. Put me on hold for a few minutes and assured me she sorted it out and should have an email confirmation coming shortly.
  • Now 2 weeks later, it's still the same

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening? Should I be concerned? Thanks in advance for any insights.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:28 pm

Just found 2 F on awardnexus for next week from ORD to HKG. Called AA and the agent told me that there is nothing available.

Anyone know why this would be the case?
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by VLtone
Just found 2 F on awardnexus for next week from ORD to HKG. Called AA and the agent told me that there is nothing available.

NVM. Fixed my problem.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by VLtone

HUCA. Since AA started its own HKG flights, agents have to tab further through, sometimes to a second or third screen, before CX options show up.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 9:38 am

Kept calling every day until I got my 2 F awards from ORD to HKG. All set to go next week!
Old Nov 16, 2016, 9:50 am

Just changed the date of my pre-devalued award ticket, ORD - HKG - BKK. I also chose RJ on HKG-BKK segment, it was on cx. Agent wanted to charge me more miles and $150 claiming that because of the carrier change. I asked for the supervisor and also she claimed that I gotta pay up but she put me on hold to double check.

30+ minutes later, she said I was right and proceeded to charge me $1.10 more for taxes.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
is anyone else having trouble using BA.com to find CX availability ? Keeps giving me error " Please provide the following information:
There was a problem with your request, please try again later."
Old Nov 16, 2016, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
is anyone else having trouble using BA.com to find CX availability ? Keeps giving me error " Please provide the following information:
I did. I had to use Qantas site.

Last edited by IamHungry; Nov 16, 2016 at 1:20 pm
Old Nov 16, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
It's not just CX. AA flights available elsewhere are showing error messages on BA.com right now too.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IamHungry
Just changed the date of my pre-devalued award ticket, ORD - HKG - BKK. I also chose RJ on HKG-BKK segment, it was on cx. Agent wanted to charge me more miles and $150 claiming that because of the carrier change. I asked for the supervisor and also she claimed that I gotta pay up but she put me on hold to double check.

30+ minutes later, she said I was right and proceeded to charge me $1.10 more for taxes.
Yeah, what is going on with these agents and supervisors? I had one that wanted to charge me the phone booking fee for a CX award the other day. She said she was a US agent just out of training for AA int'l award rez, and while US would waive this fee (pretty sure I paid it once, but that was 3-4 years ago, maybe they changed subsequently), AA did not have that policy. I requested she escalate to a supervisor. 15 minutes later she comes back saying there's no waiver in the policy but they would make a "one-time exception".
That's when I quoted her the language straight from AA.com that says the phone fee is waived for awards that cannot be booked on AA.com. I mean, she was nice about the whole thing, it's just frustrating that (1) they can't train their employees properly, and (2) they can't build the logic into the system to automatically waive the fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.