Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:34 am

The BA block was originally for HKG to Shanghai, Beijing and Taipei, which is a high value business route to begin with, especially on short notice. Looks like it's just spreading to kill multiple birds with one stone
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BThumme
At this rate I'll never be able to use my miles I'm saving up for a honeymoon on CX F.
With regard to this most recent discussion, none of this in any way decreases CX F award availability to AAdv-miles users, to the contrary to an extent.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Works fine of you're calling from a hotel. But for most people on vacation, they probably aren't in their rooms during the day. My assumption is that roaming charges will preclude some - but not all - from obsessively calling American to see if CX F awards have been released. Unless you can ring ATT Direct from a cell phone (perhaps you can, I've never bothered). And for those below EP/CK, there's still the issue of hold times.

Regardless, this creates more work and eliminates BA from the calculus. So it's a good thing.
You do not need your own cell phone service if you are in Hong Kong.

Lots of Hong Kong hotels provide the free Smartphone that you are encouraged to take it with you when you are out and about for your needs to connect to the web, search on google, look up attractions etc etc. It also is free to call US/Canada, Australia, China, and some Asian cities. I have seen this type of phones in both local hotels and in chains such as the Hyatt and Marriott.

I had called AA from HKG using the ATT Direct Access and was connected to the AAdvantage almost immediately - and I am lowly Gold.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
If AA had the ability for AAdv members to locate CX awards via AA.com (not that I'd wish for that personally, necessarily,) then BA wouldn't have been compelled to do this.
Wow, so this is actually originated from AA who requested BA to do so, i.e. to not show the close in 6 days availability on all CX awards?

Wouldn't this cause more calls to AA to request the assistance from the agents versus do it themselves first?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 4:18 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Works fine of you're calling from a hotel. But for most people on vacation, they probably aren't in their rooms during the day. My assumption is that roaming charges will preclude some - but not all - from obsessively calling American to see if CX F awards have been released. Unless you can ring ATT Direct from a cell phone (perhaps you can, I've never bothered). And for those below EP/CK, there's still the issue of hold times.

Regardless, this creates more work and eliminates BA from the calculus. So it's a good thing.
US$5 Skypeout?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You do not need your own cell phone service if you are in Hong Kong.

Lots of Hong Kong hotels provide the free Smartphone that you are encouraged to take it with you when you are out and about for your needs to connect to the web, search on google, look up attractions etc etc. It also is free to call US/Canada, Australia, China, and some Asian cities. I have seen this type of phones in both local hotels and in chains such as the Hyatt and Marriott.

I had called AA from HKG using the ATT Direct Access and was connected to the AAdvantage almost immediately - and I am lowly Gold.
Interesting. But not everyone is in HKG! Let's hope the BA block makes life easier for those willing to put some elbow grease into securing CX F.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Interesting. But not everyone is in HKG! Let's hope the BA block makes life easier for those willing to put some elbow grease into securing CX F.
If CX can shut down on BA, surely they can shut down on AA too. Almost all ISMs now know very well about how the F cabin is flooded with AA miles nowadays. Just saying.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:29 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by Happy
Wow, so this is actually originated from AA who requested BA to do so, i.e. to not show the close in 6 days availability on all CX awards?

Wouldn't this cause more calls to AA to request the assistance from the agents versus do it themselves first?
BA CS told me that it is CX's request to shut down their ability to redeem anything within T-6, unlikely that it has anything to do with AA (?)

Avios have been the subject of scandals in China, like 'Ctrip hacked tickets' which was widely publicized...
Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:30 pm

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
If CX can shut down on BA, surely they can shut down on AA too. Almost all ISMs now know very well about how the F cabin is flooded with AA miles nowadays. Just saying.
How likely is that to continue past March? My guess is not very.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
How likely is that to continue past March? My guess is not very.
Very true, for the new F TPAC price, many will fly J.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:51 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
BA CS told me that it is CX's request to shut down their ability to redeem anything within T-6, unlikely that it has anything to do with AA (?)

Avios have been the subject of scandals in China, like 'Ctrip hacked tickets' which was widely publicized...
I am still inclined to think BA is responsible for the close-in ban, and is consistently deflecting blame:

- financial liability for fraudulently issued Avios tickets lies with BAEC as FFP, not CX

- CX gets compensation payment from BA for every Avios redemption ticket flown on it - it has no skin on whether the Avios redemption is fraudulently obtained or not.

- you can say CX may not like a bunch of cheapo close-in Avios redemptions flooding Ctrip, competing for its last minute revenue tickets; but if CX find that a problem, it can either:

--- raise the compensation payment required from BAEC (or if it is unable to specifically target redemptions from BAEC, then all OW partners); or

--- restrict last-minute redemption availability to AM (this is not the case, it is now everyone but BAEC)

(I think CX did the former to AA...)
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith

(I think CX did the former to AA...)
No doubt about that one.

And this whole thing is insane. One hell of an "alliance" we have here isn't it? If there are too many fraudulent transactions there isn't there a better way of solving it other than to entirely ban an entire airline's FFs from accessing award space? What a joke. BA and oneworld have done nothing other than screw over their customers at every opportunity with the recent enhancements, and this is no different.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hiima
Very true, for the new F TPAC price, many will fly J.
I'm confused - has AA announced yet another deval that I missed?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by no1cub17
I'm confused - has AA announced yet another deval that I missed?
I think hiima is referring to the most recent deval.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:12 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Well, 110k is still on the lower side among award 'prices' within the alliance, and while I wouldn't say that AA miles are easier to amass than competitor currencies like Asia miles nowadays, there is a tonnnnnn of AA miles that have been floating around forever to begin with, so not surprised that AA miles are still one of the easiest/most common/frequented ways to grab these awards.

Also, why does everyone feel so entitled that their miles are for grabbing these awards? Cathay flies these seats to sell for cash, not for miles......I'm saying this even as an AAdv elite that cares about RDM. I see nothing wrong with prioritizing for revenue sales...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.