Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2016, 1:45 am
Original Poster

I am trying to book an award for 2 passengers for this September with the following routing: ORD - HKG - PVG. For the ORD to HKG leg, I can see a couple of seats available in J and one seat available in F. My question: Is it possible to book one J seat for myself and one F seat for my wife, but issue both tickets as an F award.
My thinking is that if one more F seat becomes available before departure, I can change it to First class without having to redeposit/reissue the ticket and hopefully I can avoid the new First class award level that will become effective in March.
Is AA able to issue the ticket as an F award, although there are not any F segments in the reservation, just J segments so far?
Thanks for your help!

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 1, 2017 at 12:17 pm Reason: Add moderator note
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:02 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Originally Posted by ElvinW
I am trying to book an award for 2 passengers for this September with the following routing: ORD - HKG - PVG. For the ORD to HKG leg, I can see a couple of seats available in J and one seat available in F. My question: Is it possible to book one J seat for myself and one F seat for my wife, but issue both tickets as an F award.
My thinking is that if one more F seat becomes available before departure, I can change it to First class without having to redeposit/reissue the ticket and hopefully I can avoid the new First class award level that will become effective in March.
Is AA able to issue the ticket as an F award, although there are not any F segments in the reservation, just J segments so far?
Thanks for your help!
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe there has to be F availability on at least one segment for AA to be able to ticket in F.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by ElvinW
Thanks for your help!
I can't see how the system can 'overcharge you' on purpose. Can you book another routing around the same time with a ticket in First? That way both are ticketed in First and then you just change the dates.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyaxa
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe there has to be F availability on at least one segment for AA to be able to ticket in F.
That is correct. I think like 2x a week there is a KA flight with F HKG-PVG, if by some chance that could be integrated into the award then I'd think you could book the award in award F with voluntary downgrade on ORD-HKG leg.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: DL DM
I am trying to do JFK-HKG-CMB. I found J availability on JFK-HKG(-BKK) which I put on hold, and separately, HKG-CMB for the correct dates, using the BA tool. There is a J seat the entire way JFK-CMB, but for some reason, AA couldn't see the whole thing put together (neither did BA, I just ran them separately and found there were seats).

Is this something worth mentioning to AA, that seats are available, but why aren't they joining for the entire JFK-HKG-CMB trip?
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Originally Posted by flyaxa
I tried HUCA to get this done many, many times...all with zero success. Although others have said this is not doable and have been told no by agents, I have made it work (with some reminding of the agents about the 3-class issues given hat the system will not automatically pick it up) by adding JFK-LAX/SFO in F.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Animgif
I tried HUCA to get this done many, many times...all with zero success. Although others have said this is not doable and have been told no by agents, I have made it work (with some reminding of the agents about the 3-class issues given hat the system will not automatically pick it up) by adding JFK-LAX/SFO in F.
Maybe keep trying? I booked an F reward for May, specifically JFKHKG in J and HKGPEK in F (on Cathay). Fully ticketed, seats assigned, and PNR noted by agent not to collect additional miles should JFKHKG open in F post devaluation.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by ZKrunk
I am trying to do JFK-HKG-CMB. I found J availability on JFK-HKG(-BKK) which I put on hold, and separately, HKG-CMB for the correct dates, using the BA tool. There is a J seat the entire way JFK-CMB, but for some reason, AA couldn't see the whole thing put together (neither did BA, I just ran them separately and found there were seats).

Is this something worth mentioning to AA, that seats are available, but why aren't they joining for the entire JFK-HKG-CMB trip?
I have come across something similar before. (For me, I believe it was no F availability LAX-HKG, but when I looked for SFO-HKG, I found SFO-LAX-HKG in First.)

If you see the segments, call and have them book it segment by segment.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by 110pgl
I have come across something similar before. (For me, I believe it was no F availability LAX-HKG, but when I looked for SFO-HKG, I found SFO-LAX-HKG in First.)

If you see the segments, call and have them book it segment by segment.
That's so weird, it worked!!! I literally called an hour ago and they weren't able to see JFK-HKG-CMB in J, but when I put on hold JFK-HKG-BKK in J, and then found HKG-CMB in J, the agent was able to sub in CMB for BKK. Happy but a little confused!

Given the above, as the departure date gets closer (I'm 14 days out), in the BA tool to look for F, should I be running JFK-CMB or just JFK-HKG (no F on HKG-CMB)?

I'm worried that if I run JFK-CMB in BA for F, it will say no availability (like it did for J this morning for me), but if I do JFK-HKG and find F, will the agent be able to upgrade the class of service on JFK-HKG irrespective of the HKG-CMB leg?

Last edited by ZKrunk; Jan 2, 2016 at 9:23 am
Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by ZKrunk
That's so weird, it worked!!! I literally called an hour ago and they weren't able to see JFK-HKG-CMB in J, but when I put on hold JFK-HKG-BKK in J, and then found HKG-CMB in J, the agent was able to sub in CMB for BKK. Happy but a little confused!

Given the above, as the departure date gets closer (I'm 14 days out), in the BA tool to look for F, should I be running JFK-CMB or just JFK-HKG (no F on HKG-CMB)?

I'm worried that if I run JFK-CMB in BA for F, it will say no availability (like it did for J this morning for me), but if I do JFK-HKG and find F, will the agent be able to upgrade the class of service on JFK-HKG irrespective of the HKG-CMB leg?
Glad it worked out for you. It is odd how it works like that.

Yes - look for only the single segment.

Yes - the agent will be able to upgrade the JFK-HKG to first (with the additional miles of course). They will leave the HKG-CMB segment as is.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:27 am

With BA and JAL being so inconsistent, am I reading correctly from other posts, that we should just instead call aa, and use the aa phone rep as a travel agent, and have them search for F availability?

Or should the strategy remain looking on BA and JAL, and then spoon-feeding the aa folks?
Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by ahchiu
With BA and JAL being so inconsistent, am I reading correctly from other posts, that we should just instead call aa, and use the aa phone rep as a travel agent, and have them search for F availability?

Or should the strategy remain looking on BA and JAL, and then spoon-feeding the aa folks?
Considering that AA had booked me on CX flights that BA/JL sites don't see, I'd suggest answer is "both". FYI, last time I asked for JFKHKG availability, agent said no and then said, "hold on, let me tab forward to the second and third screen" where she then found it. Her original screen was only coming up with AA options over DFW.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:12 pm

Unhappy

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Considering that AA had booked me on CX flights that BA/JL sites don't see, I'd suggest answer is "both". FYI, last time I asked for JFKHKG availability, agent said no and then said, "hold on, let me tab forward to the second and third screen" where she then found it. Her original screen was only coming up with AA options over DFW.
What there is on this second and third screen ?
The More I learn the less I know...
Old Jan 3, 2016, 7:51 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV

Welcome to FlyerTalk, ahchiu!

Thanks for asking just the question I've been pondering today.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold

Honestly, I still have great success with the BA site + Spoonfeed. Last 2 months I have booked 2 EX-HKG redemption, one F on CX direct to LAX, and for next week a mixed J/F redemption from PEK to LAX on CX/JL in J/F. Found what I wanted on BA site, called into AA and fed them flight times and numbers, and out a award ticket was spat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.