Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2016, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slhansen219
Well. I couldn't get 11. Only row 12. I have ZERO status with CX. But I hear 12 is still better than the main cabin!

BTW. It was the CX app... Not the AA app in case there is any confusion.
Not always. If the main cabin is less than 2/3 full I would take the main cabin anyday. This conclusion is from having had over 10 trips in CX J / F.

You could call CX to get Row 11.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by susiesan
I just want to be perfectly clear I am understanding the changes to award levels coming.

I want to use AA award to travel on CX to Vietnam, Asia 2. Scenario: I ticket outbound on March 9, 2016 for travel on Feb. 2, 2017 then ticket return on March 21, 2016 for travel Feb. 14, 2017 at current levels. Then once I know tickets are issued I can call back and change travel dates to outbound March 9, 2017 and return March 21, 2017? And I will will not have to redeposit and redeem at the higher rates? And there will be no charge to make this change?

Please clarify for me. This will help immensely for vacation to Vietnam planning. I don't want to go in February because of Tet. I'd prefer to go in March. Thanks, all.
That's my understanding from everything I've read on blogs, etc - though I don't think we will know for certain until after the change. I have 4 F/J seats booked in June to HAN you can have as soon as I get them switched to March 2016
Old Jan 15, 2016, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by nic3456
That's my understanding from everything I've read on blogs, etc - though I don't think we will know for certain until after the change. I have 4 F/J seats booked in June to HAN you can have as soon as I get them switched to March 2016
Thanks for the offer but I won't be traveling until 2017. Have you not called yet to try and switch your travel date? March is only 2 months away.
Is there any availability?
Old Jan 15, 2016, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA, BA, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
Not always. If the main cabin is less than 2/3 full I would take the main cabin anyday. This conclusion is from having had over 10 trips in CX J / F.

You could call CX to get Row 11.
Thanks Happy. I'll keep an eye on the availability. The flight isn't until Nov 1 so basically all seats are open right now. Is there really a chance to get row 11? I though those seats were reserved for peeps with status?

Thanks
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by susiesan
Thanks for the offer but I won't be traveling until 2017. Have you not called yet to try and switch your travel date? March is only 2 months away.
Is there any availability?

I've found bits an pieces, but not a full trip yet
Old Jan 17, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Adding TYO-BKK is possible as a separate award. You are not allowed to route from Asia 1-NA via Asia 2.
Thanks ladisgreat and AtomicLush for the suggestions and clarifications!
Old Jan 17, 2016, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slhansen219
Thanks Happy. I'll keep an eye on the availability. The flight isn't until Nov 1 so basically all seats are open right now. Is there really a chance to get row 11? I though those seats were reserved for peeps with status?

Thanks
Call CX you will get Row 11. The only seat is not available is 2A in F even by calling.

Keep the Row 11 seat, and check the seatmap a couple days before departure, then decide whether you want to stay in the mini cabin or move to the main cabin if it is very empty.

Personally I am not fond of mini cabin when every seat is occupied - it gives me a really confined feeling. I much prefer the open space in the main J cabin unless it is full. The ideal situation is the center seats in main J cabin are largely unoccupied. Then sitting in main J is much better than in a full mini.
When both cabins are full, then the mini is slightly better than the main J.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 7:39 pm

Has anyone been able to select CX seats on Qatar website recently? I used to be able to select seats, but now the function seems to be blocked.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by sungchiahao
Has anyone been able to select CX seats on Qatar website recently? I used to be able to select seats, but now the function seems to be blocked.
Nope, just use CX site.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:45 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Call CX you will get Row 11. The only seat is not available is 2A in F even by calling.
Not correct at all, I am able to get 2A every time I call. I booked an F seat from USA-HKG in December and called in and am in 2A.

Keep the Row 11 seat, and check the seatmap a couple days before departure, then decide whether you want to stay in the mini cabin or move to the main cabin if it is very empty.

Personally I am not fond of mini cabin when every seat is occupied - it gives me a really confined feeling. I much prefer the open space in the main J cabin unless it is full. The ideal situation is the center seats in main J cabin are largely unoccupied. Then sitting in main J is much better than in a full mini.
When both cabins are full, then the mini is slightly better than the main J.
Different strokes for different folks. I always prefer the mini-cabin regardless of loads.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:41 am

Hey everyone, I would like some clarification. I think I'm getting a little confused over reading some award chart information and I just want to be clear.

Using AA miles to book CX via phone, I am not eligible for any stopovers, even if it is Hong Kong for CX?

If I were to book say SFO to HKG , and I need to change the date, there is no change fee (unless I change the origin or destination and downgrade an award type?) [Change fee being 150 still].

The final confusion that I was having was that I read that some people initially booked themselves to other airports, e.g. ORD LAX but their home airport was say SFO. Are they booking it on the phone as LAX -> ORD -> HKG? Or just flying out from LAX -> ORD on a separate flight and then ORD -> HKG. I understand that AA states that the ticket must be the most direct booking, but what if it is the most direct booking with that premium cabin?

Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by buggy51
Using AA miles to book CX via phone, I am not eligible for any stopovers, even if it is Hong Kong for CX?
Not that I know of. No carriers.

I'm curious - why would you think CX would be treated differently? Or are you talking about a 24 hour connection?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:55 am

Home airport has no bearing on reward booking. Just book where you want to depart from for your award. Just have a plan to get to that airport if needed.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: AA Platinum - 1MM+
[QUOTE=buggy51;26042583]

Stopovers over 24 hours will be ticketed as a separate award ticket (and thus requires more miles).
A stopover less than 24 hours can be ticketed as "one ticket" and thus using one award.

If you are creative, you can land 20-23 hour layovers in Hong Kong on Outbound and Return - that should; at least give you a brief taste of Hong Kong.

If I were to book say SFO to HKG , and I need to change the date, there is no change fee (unless I change the origin or destination and downgrade an award type?) [Change fee being 150 still].
That is my understanding.

The final confusion that I was having was that I read that some people initially booked themselves to other airports, e.g. ORD LAX but their home airport was say SFO. Are they booking it on the phone as LAX -> ORD -> HKG? Or just flying out from LAX -> ORD on a separate flight and then ORD -> HKG. I understand that AA states that the ticket must be the most direct booking, but what if it is the most direct booking with that premium cabin?
I do not understand the question... If you are referring to routing, I do not think it matters. You could fly (example) SAN-DFW-JFK-HKG-XXX
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by bmchris
Not that I know of. No carriers.

I'm curious - why would you think CX would be treated differently? Or are you talking about a 24 hour connection?
-> Oh, last I recall, CX allowed free stopovers (last March for me) when booked via paid fare in HKG; wasn't sure if Award bookings were different in that regard. I figured AA's Award rule would take precedence but would like to eliminate any ambiguity. Thanks! I wasn't talking about a 24 hour connection.

Originally Posted by mrtrickdk

Stopovers over 24 hours will be ticketed as a separate award ticket (and thus requires more miles).
A stopover less than 24 hours can be ticketed as "one ticket" and thus using one award.

If you are creative, you can land 20-23 hour layovers in Hong Kong on Outbound and Return - that should; at least give you a brief taste of Hong Kong.
I was thinking of HK as the majority destination, and possibly Taiwan or Singapore for a few days of visit. I'll just likely buy tickets separately as my vacation finalizes. But thank you for the information!

Originally Posted by bmchris
Home airport has no bearing on reward booking. Just book where you want to depart from for your award. Just have a plan to get to that airport if needed.
Originally Posted by mrtrickdk

I do not understand the question... If you are referring to routing, I do not think it matters. You could fly (example) SAN-DFW-JFK-HKG-XXX
Oh sorry for the confusion, guess that was more of a two part question from me. I was wondering if AA would let you book a one way reward flight say SFO -> LAX -> HKG for only 55,000 if that is the only route that day that has business class available. Or would they just go too bad, just book LAX -> HKG and you'll just figure out a way to get down there? I think I read someone's itinerary that went from HKG -> YVR -> SFO that was award based.

My second part (which probably added to my own confusion and everyone else's), was regarding the AA award redemption which I thought was zone based. If I got a flight from say ORD -> HKG and later on discovered a flight from SFO -> HKG, can I change this without a fee since they're still in the same zone (North America?) or would this be considered a change in Origin (of city)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.