Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:01 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Just the dates - unis go on leave https://registrar.sa.ucsb.edu/cal2016.aspx ?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:29 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by nic3456
I'm looking at coming back March 23-28. One interesting note is that KA is selling tickets for $650ish while CX is $275ish (even though its the same metal)
Too close to Easter. They have seats (esp. on or before 25/3) but they want your first born for it (no fare lower than H to 23/3 or lower than B to 25/3).

Even CX own members don't get a look in right now (the plane's all Y seating anyway).

I suspect seats will be released 22/3 (based on what they did for Japan 23/12 for 24/12). Can you wait til then?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Too close to Easter. They have seats (esp. on or before 25/3) but they want your first born for it (no fare lower than H to 23/3 or lower than B to 25/3).

Even CX own members don't get a look in right now (the plane's all Y seating anyway).

I suspect seats will be released 22/3 (based on what they did for Japan 23/12 for 24/12). Can you wait til then?
I probably couldn't wait that late as I wouldn't want to be traveling and having to worry about a flight opening up

I was also just chatting with AA about the ticket and asked if I would incur a change fee if I just dropped the DAD-HKG leg (and kept HKG-LAX-DFW) - she said it would not incur a fee since it would be the same award pricing - she didn't try to process it, but would the system have auto charged a fee? I assumed that change would have definitely triggered a fee.

Last edited by nic3456; Jan 14, 2016 at 9:30 am
Old Jan 14, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: AA, BA, SPG Gold
I have 2 business class seats booked for next November. Hkg to lax. They are showing confirmed on th CX website. I'm trying to select my seats but nothing happens after I select the seats and click update. Do I need to call in to select seats?

Thanks
Old Jan 14, 2016, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by slhansen219
I have 2 business class seats booked for next November. Hkg to lax. They are showing confirmed on th CX website. I'm trying to select my seats but nothing happens after I select the seats and click update. Do I need to call in to select seats?

Thanks
I believe you do. IIRC, there is some sort of CX rule (at least as applied to AA award bookings?) about not booking seats online until six months in advance. But you can book them earlier over the phone.

Before calling, make sure to get your CX record locator from AA, as it differs from that of AA.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I believe you do. IIRC, there is some sort of CX rule (at least as applied to AA award bookings?) about not booking seats online until six months in advance. But you can book them earlier over the phone.

Before calling, make sure to get your CX record locator from AA, as it differs from that of AA.
Thanks!!! I do have the CX record locator. I was waiting for my reservation to say ticketed instead of confirmed.... guess that is not the seat trigger.

Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
It'll cost a lot more than a handful of close-in booking fees, so I'm not sure what the point is. (Though of course I think it's moot, if you were really asking about J->F "upgrades")
The J-F upgrade was my next question, luckily they read my mind

I have a few trips this year and would just do them on AA, but they're so much more expensive it's still a lot cheaper to pay the close-in booking fee and fly cheaper airlines in the end.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 6:37 pm

is BA the only way to search specific flights now? QF is tough to pin down since no direct options are shown.

I'm actually looking to extend a trip to HKG coming up in a month. Does anyone just recommend signing up for Award Nexus and getting e-mail alerts or something? I can imagine it would save the hassle of constantly checking for flights while on vacation...
Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:28 am

FYI. I was able to select my CX seats using the app! Got mini cabin! Happy Dance!
Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by slhansen219
FYI. I was able to select my CX seats using the app! Got mini cabin! Happy Dance!
no no no... mini cabin bad.... very bad! No one should ever choose 11A/11K

Yup - great seats! Enjoy.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by 110pgl
no no no... mini cabin bad.... very bad! No one should ever choose 11A/11K

Yup - great seats! Enjoy.
Well. I couldn't get 11. Only row 12. I have ZERO status with CX. But I hear 12 is still better than the main cabin!

BTW. It was the CX app... Not the AA app in case there is any confusion.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold
ticket in March before increase, then change dates of travel

I just want to be perfectly clear I am understanding the changes to award levels coming.

I want to use AA award to travel on CX to Vietnam, Asia 2. Scenario: I ticket outbound on March 9, 2016 for travel on Feb. 2, 2017 then ticket return on March 21, 2016 for travel Feb. 14, 2017 at current levels. Then once I know tickets are issued I can call back and change travel dates to outbound March 9, 2017 and return March 21, 2017? And I will will not have to redeposit and redeem at the higher rates? And there will be no charge to make this change?

Please clarify for me. This will help immensely for vacation to Vietnam planning. I don't want to go in February because of Tet. I'd prefer to go in March. Thanks, all.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
I've always called, both to add/subtract domestic legs, and to add/subtract legs beyond HKG. I've done it once ticketed (it forces a re-ticketing) and when on hold (it just resets your place in the queue). The only time I ran into an issue was trying to drop LGAYYZ from YYZHKG, as the point of sale was the U.S. and it needed to remain as such. I couldn't originate in Canada given the way it was initially ticketed. Or something like that.
I have q quick question regarding the above from post #4217 - adding segments once ticketed.

I currently have BKK-HKG-ORD ticketed for August 2016 with the BKK-HKG segment in J and the HKG-ORD segment in F. I wonder if I would be allowed to add an additional segment before BKK, ideally a TYO-BKK segment. Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 15, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by stex
I have q quick question regarding the above from post #4217 - adding segments once ticketed.

I currently have BKK-HKG-ORD ticketed for August 2016 with the BKK-HKG segment in J and the HKG-ORD segment in F. I wonder if I would be allowed to add an additional segment before BKK, ideally a TYO-BKK segment. Thanks for your help!
Adding TYO-BKK is possible as a separate award. You are not allowed to route from Asia 1-NA via Asia 2.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 5:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Adding TYO-BKK is possible as a separate award. You are not allowed to route from Asia 1-NA via Asia 2.
Maybe OP can change the order of his routing?

North America to Asia Zone 2 can connect through Asia Zone 1

and

Asia Zone 1 to South Pacific can connect through Asia Zone 2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.