Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by pogonation
Needs to be the night flight with CX for a connection so nothing from EU will work unfortunately. Usually I just bite the bullet and fly via EU but this time won't work unfortunately. Just wish this problem would get resolved. Seems strange that it is just this route.
Sounds quite inflexible. Most likely there just isn't availability, I sincerely doubt they are blocking inventory.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Sounds quite inflexible. Most likely there just isn't availability, I sincerely doubt they are blocking inventory.
No trust me this is a long-standing issue. Always shows available for other partners. I've even given up and used BA miles instead before. It isn't phantom availability. It just can't be seen by AA.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No trust me this is a long-standing issue. Always shows available for other partners. I've even given up and used BA miles instead before. It isn't phantom availability. It just can't be seen by AA.
I know what you mean. I had same experience last May when BA was bookable but AA could not see any. We ended up flying from FRA instead.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:58 am

Just for emphasis, the opposite is also true. I've ticketed numerous CX flights via AA that BA and JL sites did not see.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 3:17 am

Any married segment tips ex-LAX? Tried most cities and got nothing showing. PM's appreciated also.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:38 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Any married segment tips ex-LAX? Tried most cities and got nothing showing. PM's appreciated also.
Which ones have you tried?
Old Jan 10, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by yerffej201
I tend to have the most success with TPE/MNL. YMMV.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:38 pm

SUCCESS! (Last minute)

Just completed my second trip to SINGAPORE - this time with the wife. Both of us in F. Both seats (out/inbound) opened and booked last >10 and > 8 hours. ORD->HKG->SIN then a little tricky on the way back cause we wanted to travel on a specific day but nontheless. SIN->HKG->JFK. Last minute is still the way to go on CX. Always great service - especially compared to AA agents (woof) I love how CX in ORD treats it's F customers like royalty.

Good luck all you trying to redeem points before the March curtain!
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Pookynubbers
Just completed my second trip to SINGAPORE - this time with the wife. Both of us in F. Both seats (out/inbound) opened and booked last >10 and > 8 hours. ORD->HKG->SIN then a little tricky on the way back cause we wanted to travel on a specific day but nontheless. SIN->HKG->JFK. Last minute is still the way to go on CX. Always great service - especially compared to AA agents (woof) I love how CX in ORD treats it's F customers like royalty.

Good luck all you trying to redeem points before the March curtain!
Congratulations, an excellent redemption. But please tell me you scheduled a sufficient layover in HKG to schlep out to The Pier and spend several hours there? LOVE THAT LOUNGE. In fact, I'm flying JFKPEK and going out of my way simply to have 3 hours in HKG (transit via ICN would be considerably faster).

Welcome home - Jamie
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:58 pm

Always!

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Congratulations, an excellent redemption. But please tell me you scheduled a sufficient layover in HKG to schlep out to The Pier and spend several hours there? LOVE THAT LOUNGE. In fact, I'm flying JFKPEK and going out of my way simply to have 3 hours in HKG (transit via ICN would be considerably faster).

Welcome home - Jamie

Yes, outbound had about 5+ hours. Visited the Wing and Pier - soaked in the tub, took a shower, and took a nap in private cabanas with the windows for plane watching. LOVE the CX lounges in HKG.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Pookynubbers
Yes, outbound had about 5+ hours. Visited the Wing and Pier - soaked in the tub, took a shower, and took a nap in private cabanas with the windows for plane watching. LOVE the CX lounges in HKG.
I like how you roll. Bravo.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:30 pm

I've always called, both to add/subtract domestic legs, and to add/subtract legs beyond HKG. I've done it once ticketed (it forces a re-ticketing) and when on hold (it just resets your place in the queue). The only time I ran into an issue was trying to drop LGAYYZ from YYZHKG, as the point of sale was the U.S. and it needed to remain as such. I couldn't originate in Canada given the way it was initially ticketed. Or something like that.
A belated thank you on this!
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA Platinum - 1MM+
I was looking at award space in F for one person from US (ideally west coast) to HKG around November 7-11. Found one seat only from ORD in a wide range of dates.
Looking for two seats from HKG to US west coast around Dec. 2nd, ideally in F, but given the release, looks like 2 in J it will be.
I didn't realize space was this tight, this far out. Is this everyone's experience as well?
(sorry - Newbie to CX here)
Old Jan 12, 2016, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by mrtrickdk
I was looking at award space in F for one person from US (ideally west coast) to HKG around November 7-11. Found one seat only from ORD in a wide range of dates.
Looking for two seats from HKG to US west coast around Dec. 2nd, ideally in F, but given the release, looks like 2 in J it will be.
I didn't realize space was this tight, this far out. Is this everyone's experience as well?
(sorry - Newbie to CX here)
Best availability - 355 day mark, but you'll need a currency other than AA to book that far out.

Ample availability - 330 day mark, but pickings will be comparatively slim and typically just 1 F seat is made available.

Bad/random availability - Between T-14 and T-310 or so. Things pop up, but not often.

Best availability - inside of 14 days.

This is my experience for F awards, I've redeemed close to 50 one-way CX awards, the vast majority with AA. Set up an Awardnexus alert for between T-14 and T-310 and plan on major sleep deprivation inside of T-7.

Good luck - Jamie
Old Jan 12, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Best availability - 355 day mark, but you'll need a currency other than AA to book that far out.

Ample availability - 330 day mark, but pickings will be comparatively slim and typically just 1 F seat is made available.

Bad/random availability - Between T-14 and T-310 or so. Things pop up, but not often.

Best availability - inside of 14 days.

This is my experience for F awards, I've redeemed close to 50 one-way CX awards, the vast majority with AA. Set up an Awardnexus alert for between T-14 and T-310 and plan on major sleep deprivation inside of T-7.

Good luck - Jamie
Pretty much this. I've been monitoring availability for my trip at the end of May. I've seen a few single F seats open up (JFK/BOS), and several J (snagged 2 J from ORD-HKG for now). Have not seen 1 F 1 J on the same flight yet. Awardnexus, and then I check later on in the day at least once myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.