Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Best availability - 355 day mark, but you'll need a currency other than AA to book that far out.

Ample availability - 330 day mark, but pickings will be comparatively slim and typically just 1 F seat is made available.

Bad/random availability - Between T-14 and T-310 or so. Things pop up, but not often.

Best availability - inside of 14 days.

This is my experience for F awards, I've redeemed close to 50 one-way CX awards, the vast majority with AA. Set up an Awardnexus alert for between T-14 and T-310 and plan on major sleep deprivation inside of T-7.

Good luck - Jamie
Originally Posted by britishcanuck
Pretty much this. I've been monitoring availability for my trip at the end of May. I've seen a few single F seats open up (JFK/BOS), and several J (snagged 2 J from ORD-HKG for now). Have not seen 1 F 1 J on the same flight yet. Awardnexus, and then I check later on in the day at least once myself.
Thanks to both of you for your advice. I think you sum up a sound strategy really well.

In terms of setting the Awardnexus alert, any sense of what time of day (morning in Asia vs US vs Europe) is best?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Thanks to both of you for your advice. I think you sum up a sound strategy really well.

In terms of setting the Awardnexus alert, any sense of what time of day (morning in Asia vs US vs Europe) is best?
I get mine in the am US since I sleep at night and might have missed something. It is easy to check availability myself during the day. CX has released inventory at the equivalent of 0710 EST, 1500 EST and 1935 for my last three requisite awards, so I don't think there's a pattern.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I get mine in the am US since I sleep at night and might have missed something. It is easy to check availability myself during the day. CX has released inventory at the equivalent of 0710 EST, 1500 EST and 1935 for my last three requisite awards, so I don't think there's a pattern.
So what you're saying is, I shouldn't even sleep.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 4:24 pm

Is there any easy way to get bottom tier AA status so the close-in booking fee is waived?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
Is there any easy way to get bottom tier AA status so the close-in booking fee is waived?
Fee waived when upgrading J to F, though I realize that wasn't specifically the question you were asking.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Fly a long haul in J like lax lhr and back. OR do the plat challenge, but you won't have it for longer than a year or so.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Good to know. Thanks again for the useful advice.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Yep. I've had Awardnexus show nothing in the morning, then at lunch somethings opened up. Just overnight HKG-HAN in J award opened up when last night it wasn't there.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:12 pm

Fee waived when upgrading J to F, though I realize that wasn't specifically the question you were asking.
No, but I specifically came to ask that very question, so thanks!

Originally Posted by hiima
Fly a long haul in J like lax lhr and back. OR do the plat challenge, but you won't have it for longer than a year or so.
That's what I figured. Thanks.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It'll cost a lot more than a handful of close-in booking fees, so I'm not sure what the point is. (Though of course I think it's moot, if you were really asking about J->F "upgrades")
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:27 am

DAD-HKG?

any experience on award availability between DAD-HKG on KA? I'm trying to redo a trip and have everything worked out except that one leg and its holding up the whole trip

I'm looking at coming back March 23-28. One interesting note is that KA is selling tickets for $650ish while CX is $275ish (even though its the same metal)
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nic3456
any experience on award availability between DAD-HKG on KA? I'm trying to redo a trip and have everything worked out except that one leg and its holding up the whole trip

I'm looking at coming back March 23-28. One interesting note is that KA is selling tickets for $650ish while CX is $275ish (even though its the same metal)
No clue, I'm afraid. But assuming this is part of a good J or F long-haul award, might it make sense for you to grab the long-haul (and other flights?) that are available right now? You could then tack on the DAD-HKG later (albeit with a rebooking fee???) if it becomes available, or simply fall back on a separate revenue ticket for that leg. If you go the latter route, you'd want to have plenty of time between the revenue and award legs just in case DAD-HKG gets delayed.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Originally Posted by nic3456

Have you phoned in yet? I've never been able to see DAD award availability online. You could take a voluntary downgrade to economy on that leg if award availability is there. Then upgrade for free to J if something on that date or another suitable date becomes available. Actually, what class are you trying to book into?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by flyaxa
Have you phoned in yet? I've never been able to see DAD award availability online. You could take a voluntary downgrade to economy on that leg if award availability is there. Then upgrade for free to J if something on that date or another suitable date becomes available. Actually, what class are you trying to book into?
I've got 3 in J & 1 in F for DAD-HKG-LAX-DFW currently (in June) - looking to either keep that or switch to something similar for March. I don't mind having to fly coach for the DAD-HKG leg (that may be all they have any way if I recall)
Old Jan 13, 2016, 6:30 pm

Does anyone here have experience booking 330 days out for CX (or JL) F in the latter half of December?

I was seeing a decent amount of availability as recently as 3 days ago but now there's nothing from any North American gateways (and noticeably less in J and W too). Does CX release significantly less award seats or has BA.com been buggy?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.