Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:12 am

success! wanted to extend a cx trip by one day. checking everyday and about 3 weeks out 2 business tickets opened up randomly.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:29 am

Ticketing delay

I cannot get AA to ticket my CX reservation. They keep telling me travel is only in December plus "you don't travel on us". Been in the ticketing queue for 5 days minimum. Reservation shows as "on request" on the AA side. AA has taken payment information from me. Miles are waiting to be taken from my account. What else can I do? On the CX site the reservation shows as "confirmed". What if CX decides to cancel? Will AA help?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:39 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by SANFT
I cannot get AA to ticket my CX reservation. They keep telling me travel is only in December plus "you don't travel on us". Been in the ticketing queue for 5 days minimum. Reservation shows as "on request" on the AA side. AA has taken payment information from me. Miles are waiting to be taken from my account. What else can I do? On the CX site the reservation shows as "confirmed". What if CX decides to cancel? Will AA help?
Major snow storm on the East coast is delaying ticketing for many non-snow storm or far-future trips. I would give it a few days - I had a CX redemption take a week+ to ticket a few months ago (with no major travel disruptions during this time).
Old Jan 25, 2016, 7:37 am

I had one booked 330 days out that took 2-3 months to finally ticket last year. I called after the first couple of weeks and they said they prioritize nearer departures over later departures. I waited a few more weeks and called back, and they pushed it through.

I just booked one 330 days out for Dec 2016, and this one went through in 2 days. So if CX didn't cancel mine after 2-3 months, I doubt it can/will cancel yours after 5 days.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), Hyatt PLT, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Thanks for sharing this data point. And good for you!

I'm curious, though: about how many days before the flight were to able to bag that F award?
I fly October 1. And was able to get 1A on the Cathy website.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by g1ant
I fly October 1. And was able to get 1A on the Cathy website.
Thanks for that additional info.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by Superorb
How did you find DEN-LAX availability? I've never been able to find that segment. Did they open space for you?
I've never had trouble finding either DEN-LAX or DEN-ORD nor have I ever asked for AA to open space (I have no status so I doubt they would).
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by txflyer77
I've never had trouble finding either DEN-LAX or DEN-ORD nor have I ever asked for AA to open space (I have no status so I doubt they would).
Every time I've looked I've never been able to find any of the cheap awards DEN-LAX. The only thing I've ever been able to find is DEN-DFW. Never DEN-MIA either.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by Superorb
Every time I've looked I've never been able to find any of the cheap awards DEN-LAX. The only thing I've ever been able to find is DEN-DFW. Never DEN-MIA either.
As an example, I see saver space in both Y and F the entire week of May 24, including a flight on which I already hold a saver F award.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
FWIW, I just got ticketed for November reservations that I made three weeks ago.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 4:53 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I see 21 Dec 2016 flights showing for availability/booking right now. I want to grab some seats for 22 Dec 2016 that I know are available. When exactly will AA be able to see these so I can book them?
Old Jan 26, 2016, 5:42 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by stephem
I see 21 Dec 2016 flights showing for availability/booking right now. I want to grab some seats for 22 Dec 2016 that I know are available. When exactly will AA be able to see these so I can book them?
Some time after midnight tonight...around 4AM Central tomorrow morning seems like the time to start trying, based on posts in this thread and elsewhere. As a data point, I just grabbed the last two 12/21 C tickets JFK-HKG about 5 minutes ago. They couldn't see any 12/21 seats when I called at around 11PM Eastern last night.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 6:01 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Major snow storm on the East coast is delaying ticketing for many non-snow storm or far-future trips. I would give it a few days - I had a CX redemption take a week+ to ticket a few months ago (with no major travel disruptions during this time).
FWIW, data point:

I booked and purchased HKG-ORD (CX F)/ORD-DCA (AA F) yesterday morning about 7:25 AM EST and it was ticketed and miles deducted at 3:35 PM EST that afternoon. This was for a ticket for Dec 19 (328 days away).

I was surprised it was so quick as I was expecting a few days before ticketing as was the case for previous redemptions.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 6:07 am

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. Mastodon Flyer
Some time after midnight tonight...around 4AM Central tomorrow morning seems like the time to start trying, based on posts in this thread and elsewhere. As a data point, I just grabbed the last two 12/21 C tickets JFK-HKG about 5 minutes ago. They couldn't see any 12/21 seats when I called at around 11PM Eastern last night.
Yeah - those seats go fast. Got 3 J EWR-HKG this morning for 12/21 as well. Looks like almost all the JFK/EWR seats are gone after having had 2-5 available last night. From what I could see, 12/21 and 12/22 both came online at the same time this morning. Didn't really care JFK/EWR, but now turns out that there isn't domestic connecting availability to EWR at the moment, in F or Y, so now the question while the seats are on hold.

1) Leave it as a EWR-HKG leg only (can we go back and add the domestic connecting leg later, after the hold expires and we book the tickets...or would that be changing the origin too much.

2) Book a domestic connection into a different NY airport, and hope that something to EWR opens up - assuming that all of NY is co-terminal and can be moved around. The connecting times that are available don't work for us schedule wise, but at least it would be something.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
I was not able to snag any dates I originally wanted for holiday travel (to accommodate child's school break), and ended up grabbing a couple seats on a date close to it (but am still short 2 seats). Been trying ever since to grab seats for the next 4 days and finally got them this AM but now we'd be leaving a week after we originally wanted to go. I am by no means a points/miles expert - so hopefully someone can give me their analysis based on patterns from before? Do I...

1) Keep the seats on the more preferred date, then the set of 2 seats on a different date. Hope availability opens up later in the year despite it being winter holiday and change the date on the 2 seats if/when it opens up on the preferred date?

or

2) Keep the seats on the nonpreferred date and just leave it alone because everyone is together and availability is too iffy around the holidays. Vacation will just have to be shortened or the kiddo will need to miss a few days of school upon our return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.