Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Gold, National Exec, Hertz 5-Star
I've been relying on the Qantas site for now, but I do miss using BA to search.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 12:34 pm

Redeem an award SIN-HKG-JFK on cathay, currently SIN-HKG in J and HKG-JFK in F.

1) I could see availability of SIN-HKG in F can I just call AA and change SIN-HKG for J to F?

2) If I could and successfully change my flight, which is now SIN-HKG-JFK all on Cathay F, what if there is equipment swap and SIN-HKG get downgraded to J (I hope its not in Y)

Am I eligible for recourse as listed by the below websites:
http://loyaltylobby.com/2016/03/20/w...-f-downgrades/
http://first2board.com/pointssummary...athay-pacific/

3) I am just curious why is there a HKD 1000 (USD 130) difference between the 2 payments? Is it because of the fare difference of a normal ticket?
Old Nov 24, 2016, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by jkuok
Redeem an award SIN-HKG-JFK on cathay, currently SIN-HKG in J and HKG-JFK in F.

1) I could see availability of SIN-HKG in F can I just call AA and change SIN-HKG for J to F?

2) If I could and successfully change my flight, which is now SIN-HKG-JFK all on Cathay F, what if there is equipment swap and SIN-HKG get downgraded to J (I hope its not in Y)

Am I eligible for recourse as listed by the below websites:
http://loyaltylobby.com/2016/03/20/w...-f-downgrades/
http://first2board.com/pointssummary...athay-pacific/

3) I am just curious why is there a HKD 1000 (USD 130) difference between the 2 payments? Is it because of the fare difference of a normal ticket?
1) yes.
2) AA owes you nothing. There have been some cases of CX offering vouchers, but when it happened to me I didn't pursue.
3) you didn't pay more, so why do you think you're entitled to anything?
Old Nov 24, 2016, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
1) yes.
2) AA owes you nothing. There have been some cases of CX offering vouchers, but when it happened to me I didn't pursue.
3) you didn't pay more, so why do you think you're entitled to anything?
Thanks I did make the changes but they require extra HKD 120 in taxes and HKD 180 for T3 tax

Rather to pursue or not is one's own decision but receiving less than what one was expecting I would. Unless you expect airline to take you from point A to point B
Old Nov 24, 2016, 7:34 am

Thanks I did make the changes but they require extra HKD 120 in taxes and HKD 180 for T3 tax

Rather to pursue or not is one's own decision but receiving less than what one was expecting I would. Unless you expect airline to take you from point A to point B
Hadn't considered taxes. My point is award costs the same. So in a tax-neutral scenario where you didn't pay more for the optionality of F SINHKG, it would be tacky to expect to profit from it. But I see your point given taxes.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 8:11 am

So if I understood this correctly, SIN has a higher tax for F pax than J pax?
Old Nov 24, 2016, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can use ITA to check the taxes on your old itinerary and new itinerary and see if indeed there are higher taxes on the new itinerary.

If it is, then what AA charges you the additional is correct. You dont expect AA to absorb the higher taxes, do you?

If it is not, then AA system has made an error and if this is big enough to worth your time and effort to pursuit, then take it up with AA.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by agjil
So if I understood this correctly, SIN has a higher tax for F pax than J pax?
OP also mentioned about T3 tax - seems SIN charges additional taxes if departing from T3.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Happy
You can use ITA to check the taxes on your old itinerary and new itinerary and see if indeed there are higher taxes on the new itinerary.

If it is, then what AA charges you the additional is correct. You dont expect AA to absorb the higher taxes, do you?

If it is not, then AA system has made an error and if this is big enough to worth your time and effort to pursuit, then take it up with AA.
Well I dont have a problem with the extra taxes I've read it somewhere and know I have to pay.

What my problem is that I've made some changes last month (when HKG is already collecting the T3 tax since Aug) so when they told me the the changes result in an additional tax for HKD 120 I have no problem paying.

But when I call today I was told that there is the T3 tax for HKG that I need to pay which I thought I pay already.

On the other hand i guess i was lucky and manage to pay it before I get to the airport, otherwise I might have an un-issue ticket or an error with the ticket. I did received a e-ticket confirmation in my email.

Please note that the additional HKD 120 is fuel surcharge by CX and HKD 180 was for T3 construction at HKG

How do I check the taxes on my old itinerary?
Old Nov 24, 2016, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I dont have a problem with the extra taxes I've read it somewhere and know I have to pay.

What my problem is that I've made some changes last month (when HKG is already collecting the T3 tax since Aug) so when they told me the the changes result in an additional tax for HKD 120 I have no problem paying.

But when I call today I was told that there is the T3 tax for HKG that I need to pay which I thought I pay already.

On the other hand i guess i was lucky and manage to pay it before I get to the airport, otherwise I might have an un-issue ticket or an error with the ticket. I did received a e-ticket confirmation in my email.

Please note that the additional HKD 120 is fuel surcharge by CX and HKD 180 was for T3 construction at HKG

This is the CX announcement on the Fuel Surcharge

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_U...e-updates.html
Fuel surcharge updates

Last updated: 21 Nov 2016

Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon tickets issued or re-issued* for travel originating outside of Hong Kong on/after 15 September 2016 will have a fuel surcharge applied. The surcharge will apply per flight sector, including children and infant fares. No fuel surcharges apply for travel itineraries originating in Hong Kong.
According to the table, you are UNDERCHARGED for the YQ which should be HKD178 versus 120. However unless AA has changed its policy, AA does not charge YQ on CX booking. Only BA and IB have YQ charges.

Since your ticket needs to be reissued, it is subj to the YQ effective Sept 2016 if AA changes policy. No idea how you are being charged the T3 construction twice.

Last edited by Happy; Nov 25, 2016 at 5:49 pm Reason: clarify on YQ info.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by dustclee
Would love if anyone has any insights on this - my award booking has been "Ticket Pending" on AA for a month, but has been "Confirmed" on CX as soon as I got off the phone with the original agent who got me on this flight.

Here's all the detail:
  • Booked pre-devaluation HKG-JFK in F
  • Modified a handful of times to get closer to the ideal flight
  • Saw CX888 on Jan 3 opened up in F, so I called and got on it
  • Went to CX's site as soon as I got off the phone with AA and was able to select my seat, and status showed as "Confirmed"
  • Never received an email confirmation
  • Called in a week later since it still showed "Ticket Pending" on AA.com and app, agent said she'll get it sorted and expect my email confirmation
  • 2 weeks later and still "Ticket Pending" on AA but "Confirmed" on CX, so I called AA again. Agent said it's showing as "Ticketed" on her end, but after further questions, she was able to see what I saw. Put me on hold for a few minutes and assured me she sorted it out and should have an email confirmation coming shortly.
  • Now 2 weeks later, it's still the same

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening? Should I be concerned? Thanks in advance for any insights.
It sounds like the ticket is getting caught somewhere in either AA's OneWorld award ticket review or in ticketing. You might call back and ask an agent to call ticketing to get the ticket manually processed to be sure it gets ticketed.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
is anyone else having trouble using BA.com to find CX availability ? Keeps giving me error " Please provide the following information:
There was a problem with your request, please try again later."
I find that doing award searches on BA occasionally runs into this state, and no matter which browser I use I get the same error, but after a while (few hours or so) it starts working again. I've been doing BA award searches off an on the past five days or so, and it's been mostly working, but has been in this error state sometimes.

Originally Posted by Havek
I've been relying on the Qantas site for now, but I do miss using BA to search.
Try BA again. In my experience the errors are transitory. You can also try using a different browser, clearing cookies on your current browser, and even rebooting, which sometimes helps.

Last edited by anabolism; Nov 25, 2016 at 1:21 pm
Old Nov 25, 2016, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by dustclee
Would love if anyone has any insights on this - my award booking has been "Ticket Pending" on AA for a month, but has been "Confirmed" on CX as soon as I got off the phone with the original agent who got me on this flight.

Here's all the detail:
  • Booked pre-devaluation HKG-JFK in F
  • Modified a handful of times to get closer to the ideal flight
  • Saw CX888 on Jan 3 opened up in F, so I called and got on it
  • Went to CX's site as soon as I got off the phone with AA and was able to select my seat, and status showed as "Confirmed"
  • Never received an email confirmation
  • Called in a week later since it still showed "Ticket Pending" on AA.com and app, agent said she'll get it sorted and expect my email confirmation
  • 2 weeks later and still "Ticket Pending" on AA but "Confirmed" on CX, so I called AA again. Agent said it's showing as "Ticketed" on her end, but after further questions, she was able to see what I saw. Put me on hold for a few minutes and assured me she sorted it out and should have an email confirmation coming shortly.
  • Now 2 weeks later, it's still the same

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening? Should I be concerned? Thanks in advance for any insights.
Originally Posted by anabolism
It sounds like the ticket is getting caught somewhere in either AA's OneWorld award ticket review or in ticketing. You might call back and ask an agent to call ticketing to get the ticket manually processed to be sure it gets ticketed.
+1 Sometimes you have to keep calling to get an agent who sees the problem and knows how to handle it.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Sizook
I received a voice msg from AA saying due to an equipment change, they were only flying a two cabin plane from DFW-NRT. We were in F which I booked before the devaluation. When I called them, They said I would not be credited any miles due to the involuntary downgrade to J because the new award rates are higher! What should I do?
I would love to fly anything other than AA to get me to Asia since I'm continuing to KUL, but it will be hard to find space since we are two in F and 3 in J.
I also found CX not opening up remaining f seats last summer. My husband was in F and they wouldn't open anything up to AA miles. It flew with two seats empty in f and I sat in J.
Good that AA called you; my experience has been that I only find out if I happen to check my itinerary (which I tend to do every few weeks anyway).

If you stay in J, I think AA should credit you the difference between J and F awards at the time you booked it, but if it was me, I'd ask AA to reroute me on an AA flight that has F, e.g., DFW-HKG on AA, connecting to KUL on CX.

Originally Posted by Chris P. Jones
I am in the same situation with LAX>HKG>BKK. Booked HKG>BKK pre-deval in F hoping to upgrade LAX>HKG to F in the future.

By trying to be prepared for upgrading later by calling in now and asking if I've still got an F ticket and can upgrade later, I wonder if I run the risk of them saying "it says 'F' but let me fix that" and downgrade my ticket to J.

If I didn't call in now and just waited until an F seat was available on BKK>HKG and called in and tried to upgrade to it pretending that nothing had changed, and if the whole ticket still shows as F, then perhaps they won't see anything fishy and just give me the upgrade.

Essentially, how do I know if my ticket is still 'F' without asking an AA rep?
Until you are reticketed you will still be flying on an F award ticket. If you can find CX F award space out of LAX (or anywhere else), AA can switch you to it.

If you want to see your ticket to verify it, you can go to TripCase (create a free account if you don't already have one), click "Create New Trip", give it a name, click "Link a Booking" and enter the AA PNR and your name, and click "Link." Then click "Documents" and then the most recent e-ticket that is shown. In the "Fare Basis" column, you will see the AA award code. If it starts with "Z" it is a first class ticket.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 1:24 pm

I thought AA only charged YQ on awards for BA flights. You're saying AA now charges YQ on awards for CX flights as well?

You can see the e-tickets issued for you by AA, including all taxes, in TripCase. Go to TripCase (create a free account if you don't already have one), click "Create New Trip", give it a name, click "Link a Booking" and enter the AA PNR and your name, and click "Link." Then click "Documents" and then any of the e-tickets that show up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.