Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: HH Diamond, UA 1K
I am seeing CX business award availability using Qantas search (depart Dec 12 HAN - HKG - JFK) but when I call AA they keep telling me nothing was available on that date. Has anyone ever had this problem? Thanks!
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by IAD187
I am seeing CX business award availability using Qantas search (depart Dec 12 HAN - HKG - JFK) but when I call AA they keep telling me nothing was available on that date. Has anyone ever had this problem? Thanks!
Is ba.com showing the same availability?
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by jay_dubya
Is ba.com showing the same availability?
Yes, it's showing 8 seats available...
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Search for individual segments, not just HAN-JFK.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never see 8 seats on HAN-HKG.

You may want to break it up to 2 city pairs.

BA recently is acting flaky, showing lots of phantom inventories fwiw.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Never see 8 seats on HAN-HKG.

You may want to break it up to 2 city pairs.

BA recently is acting flaky, showing lots of phantom inventories fwiw.
Thanks!
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United
Looking for two J seats on a CX flight going from MNL to JFK anywhere btwn Jan 8 - Jan 12. I keep reading that availability will open up as the flight date draws closer but how long is that exactly? I'm holding separate J award seats on Jan 7 (booked via AA) and Jan 13 (via BA) but at this point, I'm thinking of a paid booking in W and hope for an upgrade. Wife wants us to be on the same flight since she's booked with a lap infant.

Any recommendations? What are the chances availability in J opens up for early Jan? Is that considered peak travel time still?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
With an AA J award, can you take an voluntary downgrade from J to PE?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by NYC2MNL
Looking for two J seats on a CX flight going from MNL to JFK anywhere btwn Jan 8 - Jan 12. I keep reading that availability will open up as the flight date draws closer but how long is that exactly? I'm holding separate J award seats on Jan 7 (booked via AA) and Jan 13 (via BA) but at this point, I'm thinking of a paid booking in W and hope for an upgrade. Wife wants us to be on the same flight since she's booked with a lap infant.

Any recommendations? What are the chances availability in J opens up for early Jan? Is that considered peak travel time still?
CX really starts releasing award inventory about a week before the flight. Finding 2 J seats should be easy, especially since you have 5 days of flexibility. While that Sunday Jan. 8 will be busy, the rest of that week when you're looking is definitely past the peak Xmas & New Years period.

For example, looking about a week from now, there are multiple flights over multiple days with 8+ award seats open on HKG-JFK, at least according to BA.com. I wouldn't worry.

Last edited by JJeffrey; Nov 29, 2016 at 2:52 pm
Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:31 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Oops, posted this in the wrong thread the first time around...

I have 5x SEA-LAX (long overnight)-HKG (short overnight)-SGN this month, beggars couldn't be choosers, I know, but I would love to get us to SGN faster. Now it looks like the slightly after midnight CX flight (881) and AA flight (193) both have decent availability (J9 thru I9) and don't seem overloaded in back either (so probably not a bunch of op-ups going to happen). Lately I have seen both of these flights going out with high counts in J-I classes.
I am not holding out hope that all 5 of us would be able to get over to the better connection in LAX, but even assuming 3 did, I would then need to move the HKG-SGN connection too, because the existing one would then create a 25 to 27 hour connection in HKG.
Has anyone ever tried this? It seems daunting to do for one person/one flight but likely impossible for more than one person and taking into account the need to have to change onward flight HKG-SGN to keep connection time to 24 hours...
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:13 pm

For those interested I just cancelled two J CX 885 flights from LAX - HKG for December 1st, 11:10 departure - 6:55pm arrival.

Hopefully these open up for award availability. I will be looking for new flights in early January and have my fingers crossed for a relatively easy rebooking without too much hassle.

Last edited by AQ172; Nov 29, 2016 at 10:22 pm
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:37 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but maybe someone can answer. I am flying on an LAX-HKG-KUL award in F, but I am throwing away the HKG-KUL segment. I have to wait four hours for a friend. Is there a way to lounge hop but still get get into arrivals/immigration? I know usually there is a transit checkpoint to separate connecting passengers. I don't want to get stuck not being to get to immigration after lounge hopping.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:16 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by exmike
I am flying on an LAX-HKG-KUL award in F, but I am throwing away the HKG-KUL segment. I have to wait four hours for a friend. Is there a way to lounge hop but still get get into arrivals/immigration?
We here in HKG really frown on the practice http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...migration.html. We're not the States where you can just walk back into domestic arrivals.

You're a less detestable case because you intend to throw away the last segment instead of flying it.

In your case, you can enter departure area, stay until your flight departs and then say you missed your flight and would like to enter HK. Still treated as an exception but you let them void your final segment.

I suppose if you no-show your connection your luggage will wait for you in the HKG belt too.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by stephem
Oops, posted this in the wrong thread the first time around...

I have 5x SEA-LAX (long overnight)-HKG (short overnight)-SGN this month, beggars couldn't be choosers, I know, but I would love to get us to SGN faster. Now it looks like the slightly after midnight CX flight (881) and AA flight (193) both have decent availability (J9 thru I9) and don't seem overloaded in back either (so probably not a bunch of op-ups going to happen). Lately I have seen both of these flights going out with high counts in J-I classes.
I am not holding out hope that all 5 of us would be able to get over to the better connection in LAX, but even assuming 3 did, I would then need to move the HKG-SGN connection too, because the existing one would then create a 25 to 27 hour connection in HKG.
Has anyone ever tried this? It seems daunting to do for one person/one flight but likely impossible for more than one person and taking into account the need to have to change onward flight HKG-SGN to keep connection time to 24 hours...
It would help to know how many awards are available on each segment. BA should be able to answer this for you. Maybe I haven't had enough coffee, but what is your actual question? No reason you can't split the PNR and allocate pax to the various flights.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:41 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
Has CX been blocking all flights within a few days of departure??

I am looking for next Tuesday from LAX-HKG and yesterday it was wide open and now nothing on any flight or connections in HKG.

I am using BA to search but also called and agent said they couldnt see anything either. If I search later in the week then everything shows, but anything before Tuesday is not available.

Something is up, hopefully this isnt the new norm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.