Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2016, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by A4K
Has CX been blocking all flights within a few days of departure??

I am looking for next Tuesday from LAX-HKG and yesterday it was wide open and now nothing on any flight or connections in HKG.

I am using BA to search but also called and agent said they couldnt see anything either. If I search later in the week then everything shows, but anything before Tuesday is not available.

Something is up, hopefully this isnt the new norm.
BA now blocks CX inside of six days. AA does not. I can virtually guarantee that if you call AA they'll offer you the seats you previously could have booked on BA (unless somebody grabbed them).
Old Dec 1, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
BA now blocks CX inside of six days.
Ugh. When did this start? Is QF now the only way to search inside this window?
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
Ugh. When did this start? Is QF now the only way to search inside this window?
Yes. Or calling AA/AS.

I consider this a major advantage for those booking close-in, or trying to upgrade J to F at the last minute. It eliminates Avios' members from consideration. And long hold times for AA/AS members dialing from Asia may prove a disincentive. As long as nothing else changes, I'm thrilled. Anything that makes it harder, makes the Krug taste all the sweeter. I'm up for the battle.

Jamie
Old Dec 1, 2016, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Is BA still bookable (e.g. for short-hop intra-Asia) when the website doesn't display availability?
Old Dec 1, 2016, 7:34 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by ralphs
Is BA still bookable (e.g. for short-hop intra-Asia) when the website doesn't display availability?
If within six days, BA can't ticket it at all, regardless of online or through phone.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. Or calling AA/AS.

I consider this a major advantage for those booking close-in, or trying to upgrade J to F at the last minute. It eliminates Avios' members from consideration. And long hold times for AA/AS members dialing from Asia may prove a disincentive. As long as nothing else changes, I'm thrilled. Anything that makes it harder, makes the Krug taste all the sweeter. I'm up for the battle.

Jamie
Isn't that the ATT Direct Access still allows free calls to the 1-800 numbers for the elites? So the long hold time is more an annoyance than a deterrence. IIRC you call the local ATT Direct Access number, then once prompt, dial the 1-800 number of the elite desk, it automatically patches you thru without requiring a CC.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Isn't that the ATT Direct Access still allows free calls to the 1-800 numbers for the elites? So the long hold time is more an annoyance than a deterrence. IIRC you call the local ATT Direct Access number, then once prompt, dial the 1-800 number of the elite desk, it automatically patches you thru without requiring a CC.
Works fine of you're calling from a hotel. But for most people on vacation, they probably aren't in their rooms during the day. My assumption is that roaming charges will preclude some - but not all - from obsessively calling American to see if CX F awards have been released. Unless you can ring ATT Direct from a cell phone (perhaps you can, I've never bothered). And for those below EP/CK, there's still the issue of hold times.

Regardless, this creates more work and eliminates BA from the calculus. So it's a good thing.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Works fine of you're calling from a hotel. But for most people on vacation, they probably aren't in their rooms during the day. My assumption is that roaming charges will preclude some - but not all - from obsessively calling American to see if CX F awards have been released. Unless you can ring ATT Direct from a cell phone (perhaps you can, I've never bothered). And for those below EP/CK, there's still the issue of hold times.

Regardless, this creates more work and eliminates BA from the calculus. So it's a good thing.
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
If within six days, BA can't ticket it at all, regardless of online or through phone.
Whoa - that's nuts. Anyone have insight as to why BA pulled this enhancement? Ridiculous - but then again this is BA we're talking about.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Whoa - that's nuts. Anyone have insight as to why BA pulled this enhancement? Ridiculous - but then again this is BA we're talking about.
If AA had the ability for AAdv members to locate CX awards via AA.com (not that I'd wish for that personally, necessarily,) then BA wouldn't have been compelled to do this.

Last edited by JonNYC; Dec 2, 2016 at 8:13 am Reason: minor change in wording
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
If AA had the ability for AAdv members to locate CX awards via AA.com (not that I'd wish for that personally, necessarily,) then BA wouldn't have felt the need to do this.
Wha? Are you suggesting BA eliminated CX awards inside of 6 days because AA members were flooding the BA website? Wow, that's a stretch.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:11 am
Suspended

Wha? Are you suggesting BA eliminated CX awards inside of 6 days because AA members were flooding the BA website? Wow, that's a stretch.
With the minor change to wording of my post (shown below and then edited above,) I 100% stand by my post, can't say much more on the subject for the time being.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
If AA had the ability for AAdv members to locate CX awards via AA.com (not that I'd wish for that personally, necessarily,) then BA wouldn't have been compelled to do this.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That sounds weird. If CX (presumably) can make BA pull its display of CX award inventory, why can't they make AA display award inventory on AA.com? I'm guessing AA's IT is just that inept?...

And then to throw the baby out with the bathwater and prohibit ANY booking of CX awards for Avios members within 6 days seems a bit extreme for sure.

I wonder if they'll revert after we hit the 1-year anniversary of the AA chart devaluation when presumably demand for seats/searches will drop substantially (as evidenced by the relative bounty of at least single F (Z) seats on US routes further out in the spring/summer).
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ijgordon
That sounds weird. If CX (presumably) can make BA pull its display of CX award inventory, why can't they make AA display award inventory on AA.com? I'm guessing AA's IT is just that inept?...
$. AA and BA are JV partners with a pretty deep partnership, so there's $ incentive here to have their systems hooked up. AA and CX, not so much. So it's lower on the list.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
$. AA and BA are JV partners with a pretty deep partnership, so there's $ incentive here to have their systems hooked up. AA and CX, not so much. So it's lower on the list.
Policy had long been in effect in certain short haul markets due to fraud. Basically resellers using miles to book for passengers in exchange for cash. Fine to imply that the restriction was then taken systemwide because BA's servers couldn't handle the influx, but that sounds fishy.

No bother, it's a major advancement and I'm thrilled with it.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
At this rate I'll never be able to use my miles I'm saving up for a honeymoon on CX F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.