Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I don't think CX can help at all given it is an AA ticket. I would keep calling AA until someone pushes it through or figures out if there is an issue and rectifies it (which would be my guess since it is only a week out).
Thanks. My understanding is that even though I'm using AA miles, CX has to approve and ticket this. But you're probably right that AA is the way to go in trying to move this along.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I was lucky enough (I think) to be able to change two AA F award tickets to CX flights for a week from now. I did this a few days ago. The reservations show up on both the CX and AA sites, but they still have not been ticketed.

Ordinarily I would just be patient. But with the trip a week from now, I'm a bit nervous. I called both CX and AA to see if either can nudge the relevant CX desk to act on this. Both said there's nothing they can do. Worth it to call AA again and ask if there is a CX liaison they can contact regarding this? Any other steps I could take? Or just be patient?

Thanks for any advice.
I would keep calling AA. I had a situation last year with an AA redemption on CX where my reservation did not ticket after a few days.

The first agent said that everything looked fine and it should be processed soon. The second agent pretty much said the same thing. The third agent realized that something was wrong with the reservation and ended up "cleaning something up" and re-calculating the taxes, she then placed me on hold and had another department issue the ticket while I was on hold.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UR
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Just to add - because there are only 6 F seats on CX aircraft, expertflyer will allow you to tell exactly how many first class seats are available for sale. The more seats available for sale the closer to departure, the more likely one (or more) will be made available as an award. But it's definitely as much an art than a science, from our perspective.

In contrast, ExpertFlyer will only show a maximum of 9 seats available for sale for other classes of service, so it's less useful for gauging the possibility of award availability.
Thanks.. OK so if I am seeing (for biz) something like 'J9 C9 D9 I9' (all business classes), then EF is useless to alert if I should go check if an award seat was made available, correct? I don't have AN
Old Nov 1, 2016, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by gpeso8
I would keep calling AA. I had a situation last year with an AA redemption on CX where my reservation did not ticket after a few days.

The first agent said that everything looked fine and it should be processed soon. The second agent pretty much said the same thing. The third agent realized that something was wrong with the reservation and ended up "cleaning something up" and re-calculating the taxes, she then placed me on hold and had another department issue the ticket while I was on hold.
Thanks for this good advice. I called AA, as you suggested. It was in fact an error by the AA booking agent, who'd been very helpful when I made the change but had nevertheless make a mistake involving a very complicated rule.

Talk about dumb luck...when I called AA, I reached the very same agent, who followed up, tracked down the error, and after about two hours on the phone with me and colleagues worked out a solution.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Nov 1, 2016 at 6:10 pm
Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FT-hss
Thanks.. OK so if I am seeing (for biz) something like 'J9 C9 D9 I9' (all business classes), then EF is useless to alert if I should go check if an award seat was made available, correct? I don't have AN
That's more or less correct. Generally, there is unlikely to be award inventory if you see I0, particularly more than a few days in advance. For advance bookings, you mostly likely need J9C9D9I9 to have award availability, but just because you see that, doesn't mean there will be. You can always check the QF/BA/JL sites, and you can also check the CX/AsiaMiles site, although availability there is usually greater than what's available for partners. But it's something.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
You can always check the QF/BA/JL sites, and you can also check the CX/AsiaMiles site, although availability there is usually greater than what's available for partners.
Re checking on BA, QF sites for short-term opening of award seats, pls refer to post above:

1) BA seems to block all inventory 6 days before departure
2) QF seems to not show inventory 3 days before departure

BA used to be pretty helpful before this limitation. With QF I have limited experience, but found search & display of results more cumbersome.

Maybe CX, JL sites are more helpful in this regard. (?)
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Maybe CX, JL sites are more helpful in this regard. (?)
CX shows inventory that is only available for Asia Miles accounts. You can't assume a seat there = a seat bookable by a partner.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
CX shows inventory that is only available for Asia Miles accounts. You can't assume a seat there = a seat bookable by a partner.
Understand. How about JL re short-term display?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 5:06 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Checking other sites are better. The problem about CX site is that a seat there does not even imply it is bookable on CX!!
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Jetblue Mosaic, Alaska MVP Gold, National Executive Elite
Delete

Last edited by zhaofa90; Nov 5, 2016 at 8:28 pm Reason: Not enough sample size
Old Nov 5, 2016, 7:41 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
AA Reservations can't provide partner e-ticket number on award ticket?

I'm flying from Chicago to Singapore in December on Cathay Pacific booked with Aadvantage miles. AA reservations was able to give me my locator number, but Cathay wants an E-Ticket number so I can enter my personal details. The AA rep had no idea how to find this.

Does anyone know where to find this on AA.com? I have found the number for my AA flight to Chicago, but not the Cathay flights. Fortunately I do see my reservations to Singapore and can select seats so I'm not worried about there being a valid ticket.

With United, they provide the partners reference information under the reservation on United.com so I assume that AA does this as well.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 7:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by bigshooter
I'm flying from Chicago to Singapore in December on Cathay Pacific booked with Aadvantage miles. AA reservations was able to give me my locator number, but Cathay wants an E-Ticket number so I can enter my personal details. The AA rep had no idea how to find this.

Does anyone know where to find this on AA.com? I have found the number for my AA flight to Chicago, but not the Cathay flights. Fortunately I do see my reservations to Singapore and can select seats so I'm not worried about there being a valid ticket.

With United, they provide the partners reference information under the reservation on United.com so I assume that AA does this as well.
AFAIK your e-ticket number, beginning with 001- as it was issued by AA, should be able to be given to you by a competent AA agent.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 7:57 pm

Have you tried putting your CX locator number into classic.checkmytrip.com?

In any case an AA agent should definitely be able to give it to you, since it's an AA ticket! May just want to HUACA.

Also FYI the fact that you can see your reservations and select a seat does NOT mean you necessarily have a valid ticket.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by bigshooter

Your ticket is issued by AA. So it starts with 001. You cannot enter an 001 ticket into the CX site.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
If you are having trouble using the CX confirmation to manage your reservation at cx.com (it can't find it), play around with how your name is input. Their website is very picky about the name format. No ticket number is needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.