Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2016, 8:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Odd. It's also on your e-ticket receipt. It begins with 001- as it's AA-issued. But, that won't do much for CX. Are you sure that's what CX wants?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bigshooter

With United, they provide the partners reference information under the reservation on United.com so I assume that AA does this as well.
That would be incorrect. AA agents have always been able to give me the partner carrier PNR when I asked, however.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 8:52 pm

You have to call and ask for the ticket number. Can't see it online, unfortunately.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Also FYI the fact that you can see your reservations and select a seat does NOT mean you necessarily have a valid ticket.
Wait! What?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
Wait! What?
A reservation doesn't mean the ticket has been issued. Even on AA I can reserve, select my seats, and pay but the ticket might be hours or days later.

For paid travel I use a travel agent where it's done in seconds by them.

All said it doesn't mean you don't have a proper reservation. The e-ticket number would be the same all the way so I bet you can't see a ticket number for the AA flight. If you can, that's the ticket number.

Try the locator code, six letters.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 10:30 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
I guess I should clarify a bit. This is an award ticket on Cathay Pacific and not a codeshare, so I assume there will be an actual ticket number from Cathay. I know this is how it works on United award tickets with ANA (they gave me all the information I needed when I called UAL). I updated all my info on ANA's site for my return flight while I was trying to figure out this AA/Cathay business.

I can manage my reservation on Cathay's website, select seats, see what movies are playing on the flight, etc... I can't enter my passport information or sign up for alerts though. When I try to edit my information (passenger info) it tells me it is locked and I need to verify the e-ticket number before editing.

I'll just call Cathay on Monday as they appear to be closed on Sundays. I just thought there would be a bit more information on AA's end, but as someone mentioned it might just be a HUCA moment.

As an FYI on why I'm so paranoid... my original return itinerary had Air China flying me from Siem Reap to Beijing, and then ANA onwards. Without any alerts Air China cancelled the Siem Reap to Beijing (and apparently all flights out of REP) but the rest of my itinerary was intact. I want to make sure everything is finalized before I leave for 3 weeks...
Old Nov 5, 2016, 10:36 pm

Programs: A3 *G; AA EXP
I guess I should clarify a bit. This is an award ticket on Cathay Pacific and not a codeshare, so I assume there will be an actual ticket number from Cathay. I know this is how it works on United award tickets with ANA (they gave me all the information I needed when I called UAL). I updated all my info on ANA's site for my return flight while I was trying to figure out this AA/Cathay business.

I can manage my reservation on Cathay's website, select seats, see what movies are playing on the flight, etc... I can't enter my passport information or sign up for alerts though. When I try to edit my information (passenger info) it tells me it is locked and I need to verify the e-ticket number before editing.

I'll just call Cathay on Monday as they appear to be closed on Sundays. I just thought there would be a bit more information on AA's end, but as someone mentioned it might just be a HUCA moment.

As an FYI on why I'm so paranoid... my original return itinerary had Air China flying me from Siem Reap to Beijing, and then ANA onwards. Without any alerts Air China cancelled the Siem Reap to Beijing (and apparently all flights out of REP) but the rest of my itinerary was intact. I want to make sure everything is finalized before I leave for 3 weeks...
Nope, you will have an American Airlines E-Ticket if booked with AAdvantage miles. This is how you will get your e-ticket number:

1.Open your award reservation on AA.com
2.Copy and paste this link in a new tab in your browser (do it with right click as Flyertalk truncates hyperlinks)
https://www.aa.com/reservation/print...raryReceipt.do
3. Press enter and execute the link. You should see a receipt with e-ticket number - this is your one and only e-ticket number, there are no "secondary" e-ticket numbers for flights on Oneworld partners
Old Nov 5, 2016, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K
You can use Twitter for these types of requests too.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 2:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I guess I should clarify a bit. This is an award ticket on Cathay Pacific and not a codeshare, so I assume there will be an actual ticket number from Cathay.
You are mixing the confirmation number (aka PNR, aka record locator) with the ticket number. Partner airlines will usually have a different PNR for the same reservation, unless they happen to use the same booking platform. But the issuing carrier always issues the ticket using their own ticket numbers, which in the case of AA, start with 001.

I know this is how it works on United award tickets with ANA (they gave me all the information I needed when I called UAL).
No, it's not. It works as I described above. UA and NH will have different confirmation numbers, but there is only one ticket number, and it's a UA ticket number starting with 016, even if travel is entirely on NH.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 3:43 am

Your ticket number is a 13 digit number that starts with 001, which means AA issued it. You will very rarely actually need this number, though you do want to make sure it exists. There is no partner ticket number. If CX wants your ticket number for some reason, use the one you have starting with 001.

Your PNR/record locator is a 6 character alphanumeric code. You have one for AA and a different one for CX. You want the CX one to manage your flight on their website. Call AA or use Tripcase to get the CX one.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
As Steve M above notes, there is confusion on this topic.

The CX PNR allows you in to change seats, etc on the CX website. AA can easily give you the CX PNR if you call them to ask.

The CX ticket number (starts with 160) is different. You need the CX ticket number to update passport details on the CX website. The AA 001 ticket number here is useless. CX requires the ticket number as an extra level of security to access personal information beyond changing seats, meal preferences, etc.

I routinely hit this wall as I book a lot of AA tickets on CX. I usually have to call CX, give them the CX PNR and try to get the 160 ticket number from them. Some agent can do it, some can't (definitely a different level of training with CX versus AA EXP agents). After about 10 years of doing this I don't bother anymore. I just check in with CX and let the agent swipe my passport at check in. The headache isn't worth it.

That being said, when you login with the CX PNR it will clearly state at the top of the screen if there is no ticket number (yet) for their PNR. I don't recall the exact wording but it is very clear if CX has no ticket. If they don't, then get on the phone with CX asap to find out what is wrong. Sometimes CX can correct this issue and sometimes I've had to call AA, tell them CX cant access a ticket for the trip and AA has to correct something.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 2:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by LukasVIE
Nope, you will have an American Airlines E-Ticket if booked with AAdvantage miles. This is how you will get your e-ticket number:

2.Copy and paste this link in a new tab in your browser (do it with right click as Flyertalk truncates hyperlinks)
3. Press enter and execute the link. You should see a receipt with e-ticket number - this is your one and only e-ticket number, there are no "secondary" e-ticket numbers for flights on Oneworld partners
Thank you once again for sharing this valuable information; we've added it to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...et-number.html.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 8:12 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LukasVIE

All my ticketed CX awards booked by AA have the link to print receipt (last checked was two months ago). Not sure when a "workaround" is needed. Is there some change on AA website that no longer does this?

Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
As Steve M above notes, there is confusion on this topic.

The CX PNR allows you in to change seats, etc on the CX website. AA can easily give you the CX PNR if you call them to ask.

The CX ticket number (starts with 160) is different. You need the CX ticket number to update passport details on the CX website. The AA 001 ticket number here is useless. CX requires the ticket number as an extra level of security to access personal information beyond changing seats, meal preferences, etc.

I routinely hit this wall as I book a lot of AA tickets on CX. I usually have to call CX, give them the CX PNR and try to get the 160 ticket number from them. Some agent can do it, some can't (definitely a different level of training with CX versus AA EXP agents). After about 10 years of doing this I don't bother anymore. I just check in with CX and let the agent swipe my passport at check in. The headache isn't worth it.

That being said, when you login with the CX PNR it will clearly state at the top of the screen if there is no ticket number (yet) for their PNR. I don't recall the exact wording but it is very clear if CX has no ticket. If they don't, then get on the phone with CX asap to find out what is wrong. Sometimes CX can correct this issue and sometimes I've had to call AA, tell them CX cant access a ticket for the trip and AA has to correct something.
I know last year, the 001 ticket wouldn't do you any good on CX website but this year (at least two months ago), it accepts 001 ticket number when you mange bookings. An example would be to add travel documentation.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:27 am

Any new data points or success stories in terms of 11th hour (within 2 weeks) F award availability opening up? Getting down to the wire for me, calling every day but nothing opening.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by VLtone
Any new data points or success stories in terms of 11th hour (within 2 weeks) F award availability opening up? Getting down to the wire for me, calling every day but nothing opening.
What's your flight booked to, up front? JFKHKG on Nov 22nd (15 days out) booked F5 and has an F award. So clearly, 11th hr availability continues to be offered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.