Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by VLtone
Any new data points or success stories in terms of 11th hour (within 2 weeks) F award availability opening up? Getting down to the wire for me, calling every day but nothing opening.
Yep. Found two F seats SFO-HKG-PVG (second leg in J, since no F) about a week ago for a trip tomorrow. IIRC, there also were seats available for the day after tomorrow.

FWIW, awardnexus.com is a good site for checking availability across multiple airline sites. Initial membership is free for FTers, I believe, but you pay a modest fee for an enhanced membership that includes it sending email alerts if a seat(s) open up. It can save a lot of time versus phone calls and checking multiple sites.

Also, perhaps you're doing this already, but whether you're calling or going online, it often works best to first try finding CX flights into HKG, and then try to find onward flights from there.

Just did a quick search on awardnexus.com for a few cities to HKG for Nov. 15-17. Found nothing from SFO or JFK, but did find two F seats from ORD on all three days and from LAX on Nov. 16. There's always a small chance that these are "false positives," but you might want to check them out.

Hope this helps!
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seawolf
All my ticketed CX awards booked by AA have the link to print receipt (last checked was two months ago). Not sure when a "workaround" is needed. Is there some change on AA website that no longer does this?
Yes, AA took away that button. There actually is a specific thread on this issue, hence the work around. Search FT you will find the thread but the gist is, that workaround kindly provided by LukasVIE is THE ONLY WAY now you could get your receipt with itinerary details and ticket number, so you know your reservation is indeed ticketed - especially after some changes and reissue. And I am sure you know how important that is, to get a fresh Receipt so to make sure your ticket is properly reissued.

I know last year, the 001 ticket wouldn't do you any good on CX website but this year (at least two months ago), it accepts 001 ticket number when you mange bookings. An example would be to add travel documentation.
I would just let CX airport agent to swipe the passport. Way too much things to fill in online to get it done. OLCI is also not worth the hassle if you already have seat assignment and travel in premium cabins.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
What's your flight booked to, up front? JFKHKG on Nov 22nd (15 days out) booked F5 and has an F award. So clearly, 11th hr availability continues to be offered.
As far as F5 and that type of nomenclature - I've got to be honest, I don't really know what that means. But I can tell you that the flight I'm looking at on ExpertFlyer it says that...

2 seats are "Premium only"
2 seat are "blocked"
1 seat is "available"
1 seat is "occupied"

Also - I am looking for 2 seats, which I'm sure is a huge stretch.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:42 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
Yes, AA took away that button. There actually is a specific thread on this issue, hence the work around. Search FT you will find the thread but the gist is, that workaround kindly provided by LukasVIE is THE ONLY WAY now you could get your receipt with itinerary details and ticket number, so you know your reservation is indeed ticketed - especially after some changes and reissue. And I am sure you know how important that is, to get a fresh Receipt so to make sure your ticket is properly reissued.

I would just let CX airport agent to swipe the passport. Way too much things to fill in online to get it done. OLCI is also not worth the hassle if you already have seat assignment and travel in premium cabins.
Does AA still send award ticketing email or is that gone as well? It's been hit or miss for me earlier this year.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Does AA still send award ticketing email or is that gone as well? It's been hit or miss for me earlier this year.
I didn't get the ticketing email from AA for an award trip on CX that I'm about to take. I asked and the CSRs said they'd send it. But the only thing I ended up getting from the first CSR was the itinerary and I received nothing from the second CSR.

I did get an emailed itinerary including the ticket number from CX after speaking to a helpful CSR there. However, it involved waiting on the phone for the queue to clear. In my recent experience with CX, the phone queue wait times range from two minutes (just once) to more typically 30-60 minutes.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by VLtone
As far as F5 and that type of nomenclature - I've got to be honest, I don't really know what that means. But I can tell you that the flight I'm looking at on ExpertFlyer it says that...

2 seats are "Premium only"
2 seat are "blocked"
1 seat is "available"
1 seat is "occupied"

Also - I am looking for 2 seats, which I'm sure is a huge stretch.
Do an availability search for your flight on EF. See the string, it will be F4 A3 J6 and so on.

What's the F number? That's how many seats are for sale.

No reason to think two is necessarily a stretch if F3 or higher. Having claimed 5 F awards I can assure you anything is possible.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 1:20 pm

In another pickle -

My JFK-HKG (J) - MNL (F) route booked at pre deval F had a plane change, so now that HKG-MNL is a 2 class flight now, changing my class to J for that as well. I haven't been refunded any miles (yet), my record locator is the same, so presumably the whole route is still an "F" booking.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if there are no other 3 class HKG-MNL flights, I won't be getting an F leg.

If an F seat opens on the JFK-HKG, will I experience push back upgrading? I have a gut feeling this probably will be HUCA, but wondering if anyone has experienced this.

TIA

The only reason I noticed was because my flight details weren't appearing on my reservations, so I called AA and they did a refresh, which they need to do manually apparently for schedule changes. Should keep a closer eye on these things...
Old Nov 8, 2016, 1:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Should have no problem with rebooking JFK-HKG to F if you don't touch your ticket.

Last year, I booked JFK-HKG in F, cancelled the PNR immediately after ticketing. Was able to use this ticket this year for a new JFK-HKG F PNR without issue.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sempervivum
In another pickle -

My JFK-HKG (J) - MNL (F) route booked at pre deval F had a plane change, so now that HKG-MNL is a 2 class flight now, changing my class to J for that as well. I haven't been refunded any miles (yet), my record locator is the same, so presumably the whole route is still an "F" booking.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if there are no other 3 class HKG-MNL flights, I won't be getting an F leg.

If an F seat opens on the JFK-HKG, will I experience push back upgrading? I have a gut feeling this probably will be HUCA, but wondering if anyone has experienced this.

TIA

The only reason I noticed was because my flight details weren't appearing on my reservations, so I called AA and they did a refresh, which they need to do manually apparently for schedule changes. Should keep a closer eye on these things...
This is a tough one. My guess - and it's only that - is that you won't get a miles refund unless you point out the change. So if JFK-HKG F opens up, you'll be able to say to AA that this was and is an F ticket and that they'll honor it as such.

But again, just a guess...
Old Nov 8, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by sempervivum
In another pickle -

TIA

I had the same thing happen on a pre-deval F award BKK-HKG(F)-JFK(J). CX dropped F on the HKG-BKK flight, and pretty soon I couldn't see any details online. Nothing will change with your award until you call in, but keep an eye on it. I found F availability on a new date and had no problem F on the HKG-JFK flight.

However, with everything AA these days, it takes a good AAgent who know's how to process the change at the old mileage rates. I got lucky and had it handled on the first call, but I was prepared to HUACA several times.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 7:31 am

Thanks mates, not flying out until January so I'll keep carrying on as usual.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 12:17 pm
was ShootinPutin11

Programs: AA-Plat, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium, UA-Silver, DL-Silver
I'm trying to book 2 seats on CX J HKG-ORD on January 2 or January 3. Does anyone have an idea of my chances of finding availability for those dates?

I realize that CX generally releases award availability at the last minute, but since the date is so close to New Year's I'm afraid the flights will be full. Has anyone managed to get CX J awards around New Year's in the past?
Old Nov 9, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
I've searched for CX J LAX-HKG availability for mid-December every day for the last ~99 days. Frustrating to see no hits.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by ralphs
I've searched for CX J LAX-HKG availability for mid-December every day for the last ~99 days. Frustrating to see no hits.
Why frustrated? Initial booking window has long since passed, and next window will open sometime around December 1st. You're just wasting your time.

Respectfully, Jamie

Last edited by jamienbaker; Nov 9, 2016 at 2:39 pm
Old Nov 9, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UR
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Why frustrated? Initial booking window has long since passed, and next window will open sometime around December 1st. You're just wasting your time.

Respectfully, Jamie
Looking for same/similar Jan 6/7 or 8, Is there no chance of getting something open in F to HKG from SFO/LAX 21 days ahead. No status so trying to save $150 by checking daily. Already have F to HKG from SFO, but trying to go few days early if possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.