Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2016, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Mikecali02
About 14 days out what is the probability of releasing another F seat of they just released one at the 2 week mark?... we have 2 seats in Biz but don't really want to be separated.... trying to determine I should grab the F seat and hope or wait... (availability shown X1 on BA/QF sites)... many thx...
Never wait.

And the answer to your question depends on what the cabin is currently booked to. So, what's it booked to?
Old Nov 11, 2016, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
As the AA predeval bookings are used up, now it is much easier to find the 1F on the HKG-LAX-HKG route - there are quite a few still available for Jul/Aug travel now the booking window has opened for well over 2 months or more. The seats are still there.
No idea on HKG-JFK because we prefer LAX so I do not follow the JFK availability.
I'd add that there seems to be tons (relatively) of single F availability looking out in mid-2016, on most/all N.A. routes. When did the deval go into effect exactly? I assume this is more than 12 months past that, so it's all stuff that has to get booked at the higher rates. Finding *something* for two pax involved a little legwork, but I've come up with 1F/1J in one direction, and 2F on different flights the same day on the return. It wasn't all that difficult.

I do have a nagging worry about finding last-minute availability to get us in the same cabin though...
Old Nov 11, 2016, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
I've never understood why 1A is coveted. In addition to your observations, it also means there's twice as much foot traffic as each time somebody in 2A wants something, 1A is passed. This makes 2A the best seat in the plane. True, FAs tend to favour the left aisle when passing between F and J, but that's still less foot traffic than having the cluster of four pax sharing the right aisle.
Agreed on 2A. But the 2K can be even better -- when both D seats are empty.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never understood why 1A is coveted. In addition to your observations, it also means there's twice as much foot traffic as each time somebody in 2A wants something, 1A is passed. This makes 2A the best seat in the plane. True, FAs tend to favour the left aisle when passing between F and J, but that's still less foot traffic than having the cluster of four pax sharing the right aisle.

2A rocks.

Jamie
Agree. Except that not every agent is willing to give you the 2A even though you said you understood 2A is bassinet seat and you are willing to move should a baby is on board. Some agents would still not budge especially when the flight is more than 6 months out. I think that was how I forgot to call back to get 2A on the trip in Sept 2016 that was booked back in Dec 2015 and then got the 1A because online only 2D was available to choose from being only Ruby.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I'd add that there seems to be tons (relatively) of single F availability looking out in mid-2016, on most/all N.A. routes. When did the deval go into effect exactly? I assume this is more than 12 months past that, so it's all stuff that has to get booked at the higher rates. Finding *something* for two pax involved a little legwork, but I've come up with 1F/1J in one direction, and 2F on different flights the same day on the return. It wasn't all that difficult.

I do have a nagging worry about finding last-minute availability to get us in the same cabin though...
Deval was Mar 22 2016. So not quite runs out the course yet.

We are talking about 2F on the same flight - not 1F 1J on same flight - plenty or 1F 1F on 2 flights, not as plenty but not scarce either if flexible enough. I would challenge anyone who could find 2F on same flight. It is impossible now but possible in the not too distant past.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never have such luck on our 20+ TPAC in the past few years. The least occupancy we ever had was 3. Far more often than not, it was full cabin. May be our traveling time has something to do with it. No idea.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 3:32 pm

Agree, but hard to plan for. When it was just my family up front, we took 1A, 2A, 1K, 2K for eating, but had them make up 1G and 2G as beds for the grownups. It was pure luxury, as you might imagine. Plane landed in HKG completely devoid of caviar, ice cream, and Krug
Old Nov 11, 2016, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deval was Mar 22 2016. So not quite runs out the course yet.

We are talking about 2F on the same flight - not 1F 1J on same flight - plenty or 1F 1F on 2 flights, not as plenty but not scarce either if flexible enough. I would challenge anyone who could find 2F on same flight. It is impossible now but possible in the not too distant past.
Well, I was explicitly responding to a post about how finding 1F seems quite a bit easier than in the past (and yes, I'm looking after 3/22/16), I even quoted it.

I don't disagree on 2F. We got it on LAX-HKG (and vv) for Aug '15 travel, booked about 8 months in advance, maybe someone had cancelled and we got lucky. (We had to split the JFK-LAX segments but ultimately managed to get those together). But yeah, nothing now for 2F, though I'm not looking 11 months out.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree, but hard to plan for. When it was just my family up front, we took 1A, 2A, 1K, 2K for eating, but had them make up 1G and 2G as beds for the grownups. It was pure luxury, as you might imagine. Plane landed in HKG completely devoid of caviar, ice cream, and Krug
Yikes! Our last 2 trips were booked 4 and 5 (well it was 6 but one guy got kicked off by the captain for being a jerk...). On the 4/6 flight, they didn't offer to make the D seats up as beds, oh well, everything else was great!
Old Nov 11, 2016, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I was explicitly responding to a post about how finding 1F seems quite a bit easier than in the past (and yes, I'm looking after 3/22/16), I even quoted it.

I don't disagree on 2F. We got it on LAX-HKG (and vv) for Aug '15 travel, booked about 8 months in advance, maybe someone had cancelled and we got lucky. (We had to split the JFK-LAX segments but ultimately managed to get those together). But yeah, nothing now for 2F, though I'm not looking 11 months out.
Does not matter if you book right at window opens. CX simply stops releasing more than 1F these days until close in. Even at close in now it is no longer as certain as in the past that you can count on release to partners. Plenty DPs that even if it is F3 there is only 1 release to Asia Miles but not to partners. In the past even F2 can see one seat to partners if it is really close in. Does seem the case these days. With CX introduces the Priority Award (is it the name?) Chances of partners getting the extra releases probably are greatly reduced.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 5:56 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I am curious how people are seeing availability at the 300+ day booking window for AA miles. I have a periodic search I run and it seems as if YVR-HKG (preferred route) still releases quite regularly five business awards at the initial booking window (as verified on BA award search). How are people finding availability after the approximately 30 days pass before we can book with AAdvantage miles? Even with the devaluation I would find these to be a decent value for getting all five of us over to Asia together.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 6:03 pm

I currently have three of us booked on this flight in business on January 3. There is an outside chance that I will be purchasing cheap business class tickets Ex-Asia instead and using those.
I'll PM you if i do that, but i wont know for a month or so. And its not a given the awards will return to inventory.

Originally Posted by ShootinPutin11
I'm trying to book 2 seats on CX J HKG-ORD on January 2 or January 3. Does anyone have an idea of my chances of finding availability for those dates?

I realize that CX generally releases award availability at the last minute, but since the date is so close to New Year's I'm afraid the flights will be full. Has anyone managed to get CX J awards around New Year's in the past?
Old Nov 11, 2016, 6:23 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by ShootinPutin11
I'm trying to book 2 seats on CX J HKG-ORD on January 2 or January 3. Does anyone have an idea of my chances of finding availability for those dates?

I realize that CX generally releases award availability at the last minute, but since the date is so close to New Year's I'm afraid the flights will be full. Has anyone managed to get CX J awards around New Year's in the past?
I'm on Jan 2 806. It is looking impossible zeroed out in PEY and Y, already very limited in J. This year it's extra tough because three key midwest schools (Northwestern uchicago and u of M) have students all flying on the same day back A ton of my friends have been on the waitlist with CX with no avail at all.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stephem
I am curious how people are seeing availability at the 300+ day booking window for AA miles. I have a periodic search I run and it seems as if YVR-HKG (preferred route) still releases quite regularly five business awards at the initial booking window (as verified on BA award search). How are people finding availability after the approximately 30 days pass before we can book with AAdvantage miles? Even with the devaluation I would find these to be a decent value for getting all five of us over to Asia together.
YVR is the toughest to get availability. You may want to concentrate on LAX or even SFO.

LAX is the easiest out of all CX gateways, followed by JFK, and surprisingly, ORD. As we discussed here, right now you can find plenty of availability out of LAX only 9 to 10 months out - that is long pass the open window.

Have you looked at LAX availability? Sure you need to come down from YVR but that is not too hard to do. Trying to get 5 J seats out of YVR? Never see such inventory before. Not sure if the deval at 80K would deter redemption since UA costs the same on partner. Only AS has cheap chart but that might not last long.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 3:28 am

I've gotten 5 seats out of YVR each year for last few years, so I'm looking at YVR specifically. I know about LAX inventory being better. But we dont really feel like flying SEA-LAX and then back up over SEA, YVR is much easier and shaves off a bunch of time.

YVR is the toughest to get availability. You may want to concentrate on LAX or even SFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.