Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2016, 6:43 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Originally Posted by JonNYC
It's unfortunate because you were definitely misadvised-- the dropping OWFA Segment rule definitely applies to pre-devaluation-issued tickets as long as country of origin doesn't change (and a few other factors as well.)
Lesson learned. Is there a T&C somewhere? I called AA agent and the agent + manager still insist that a change in origin OR destination = routing change = 15K x 3 more.

They said they'll refund the $225 processing fee.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by adamak
Lesson learned. Is there a T&C somewhere? I called AA agent and the agent + manager still insist that a change in origin OR destination = routing change = 15K x 3 more. .
It's this:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54131097@N07/14520915433/

Bolstered by this:
Dropping OWFA Segment(s)

Effective 03FEB11, and regardless of ticket issue date, customers may drop any segment(s) that is part of a ticketed One-Way Flex Award (All Partner/MileSAAver) for free. This does not apply to AAnytime awards as origin/destination can be changed without charge, provided the same award applies to the new itinerary.

NOTE - This Dropping OWFA Segments also applies to awards that expired 22MAR16.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:56 pm

I wish there was a way to show that photo to the phone agents.
99% of AA's phone agents don't seem to be aware of this policy, and when I mention AA has a policy of allowing the removal of the last segment on a ticket within certain conditions, they keep insisting such policy doesn't exist.
Even the supervisors keep telling me that I'm wrongly informed.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by agjil
99% of AA's phone agents don't seem to be aware of this policy, and when I mention AA has a policy of allowing the removal of the last segment on a ticket within certain conditions, they keep insisting such policy doesn't exist.
Quite true.

Many agents do not want to search the document. Some would outright lie to you claiming new document is in place now.

If it is the last segment of an award, I would just no show it. Way too much trouble to try to do the "right" thing by releasing the seats that would not be used.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 10, 2016 at 12:41 am
Old Dec 10, 2016, 6:16 am

I currently have Dec 14th ATL-TPE tickets in J routed through AA and CX. Trying to find availability from 15th-21st but having no such luck. Any chance of CX releasing tickets at this point?
Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by brito11
I currently have Dec 14th ATL-TPE tickets in J routed through AA and CX. Trying to find availability from 15th-21st but having no such luck. Any chance of CX releasing tickets at this point?
I am positive CX will release something. But isn't it true that you already found out when trying to use JL, your main issue was how to get from ATL to the gateway city. AA saver award availability is horrible at this juncture.

In just checked on EF. 14DEC LAX to HKG, CX has four flights. And they are showing F3, F5, F5, and F4. There should be more than 1 award seats available just based on this load. Your issue will be how to get from ATL to LAX.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 9:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by agjil
One major problem is when-- even if they go searching in good faith-- they run into this first-- the title of which makes it an eminently reasonable place to start when seeking information regarding changes to old awards.:
(underlining below is mine)

Changes To Tickets With Awards That Expired On 22MAR16

Milesaaver Awards: American or All-Partner

If only a date and time change (within the same season as the original award) and the new award is lower, the customer has two options:

- Keep the original higher award and contact Tariff for a PQR (Ask Tariff to store use the old award code for the PQR)
-- Document historical PNR remarks with PAX FORFEITING MILEAGE DIFFERENCE
- Or if the customer would like to claim the lower award and have miles refunded, a Reinstate/Claim would be required
-- Reinstatement charge applies when applicable

If only a date and time change (within the same season as the original award) and the new award is higher (or the same mileage level but new award code):

- Keep the original award and contact Tariff for a PQR (Ask Tariff to store use the old award code for the PQR)
- Process Change will not work as AACoRN will process the new award codes(s) not the original award(s).

Changing to/from oneworld carrier exception is only applicable on date/time changes where an All Partner award was originally claimed. Contact Tariff for PQR to set up reissue.

- If an AA MileSAAVer award was claimed, member may change without charge but new All Partner awards/mileage difference must be collected. Reinstate/Claim to get correct new All Partner awards on all flights.

If the Origin, Destination or booking inventory changes, (awards issued with voluntary downgrades are only exception to booking inventory) the only option is Reinstate/Claim.

- The correct new award(s) must be claimed for the entire ticket and the correct mileage amount collected
- The Reinstatement charge applies unless exempted by an exception as listed in Web Reference file AADREINSTATE
Old Dec 10, 2016, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by geclub1
I am positive CX will release something. But isn't it true that you already found out when trying to use JL, your main issue was how to get from ATL to the gateway city. AA saver award availability is horrible at this juncture.

In just checked on EF. 14DEC LAX to HKG, CX has four flights. And they are showing F3, F5, F5, and F4. There should be more than 1 award seats available just based on this load. Your issue will be how to get from ATL to LAX.
Yeah, the problem is AA->CX gateway around Christmastime (aka "AA knows they can sell every seat for cash, so why on Earth would they release into award inventory?"), not CX.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by brito11
CX806 from ORD is J6 on 12/15 as well as CX885 from LAX, so they may release 1 J award in the next few days, keep checking, you never know. As others have said though the problem will be getting to ORD or LAX on an award. Are you checking bags? You could always buy a one way revenue ticket on AA to get to the gateway. The other option would be to drop the domestic segment first, then change the date of your CX award. Other problem is if you want to combine a domestic revenue segment (to get your gateway) along with the CX award on one PNR (which you'll need to do if you're checking bags), I'm guessing the agent will charge you the $150 fee.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by geclub1

Yes, I did find availability on Dec 23rd LAX-TPE thru JAL, there are just no milesaver seats.

Looking at the AA site, milesaver for ATL-LAX is about zilch from mid-December onwards. There are still some left for ATL-ORD, which is why I'm hoping some on CX pops up soon.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by no1cub17
CX806 from ORD is J6 on 12/15 as well as CX885 from LAX, so they may release 1 J award in the next few days, keep checking, you never know. As others have said though the problem will be getting to ORD or LAX on an award. Are you checking bags? You could always buy a one way revenue ticket on AA to get to the gateway. The other option would be to drop the domestic segment first, then change the date of your CX award. Other problem is if you want to combine a domestic revenue segment (to get your gateway) along with the CX award on one PNR (which you'll need to do if you're checking bags), I'm guessing the agent will charge you the $150 fee.
I will be checking bags. Thanks for your suggestions -I'll not entirely understanding them atm (having bad nausea from antibiotics) but will look into those later.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Here is some advice from a few years of booking and changing CX business awards around Christmas. In general, if you look at fare buckets and see paid space available in First and Business but zeros across the economy (and preEcon) then your chances of seeing any more additional first or business availability released is low. For these flights, CX may have oversold eco or premeco and will hold some amount of space to handle op-ups and people who nornmally would buy prem-eco but will buy up to business to travel on certain dates. This is particularly true of the 10 days leading up until Christmas. I've watched J9 go to J0 overnight with no award seats released. And this phenomenon is compounded in the airports like ORD and YVR with few daily flights.

ORD looks tough for the dates you are looking for. LAX looks tough until Dec 19-20.

I am not saying they wont pop a single seat out, I have already seen several single seats in business pop up this year for that time period, but it can be quite sparse, even when you see flights at F4 and J8. A recent YVR-HKG flight I was tracking went from J9 to J4 to J0 during a 5 hour period, highly unlikely that all seats sold overnight, more likely revenue manangement banking on oversell in lower classes. And I put 5 paid full fare CX J tickets (not awards) back into inventory by canceling them on a flight showing zeros in all classes and it has stayed J0 since.

Bottom line, your best chance is a flight that shows 9 in the eco buckets and also has a high count in J and F buckets and track that date/flight each day. I can tell you that the 8:25am flight LAX-HKG is a good one for last minute releases in business class and the midnight flight not far behind.

But still no guarantees... and your challenge is getting from TPA during a crazy busy domestic holiday travel season.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:18 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
didn't see any posts regarding this:

CX used to release all but 1 F seat on most flights within 14 days...seems that's no longer the case. I'm hoping/waiting for 2 F seats to open up on 12/31 or 1/1 from HKG to ORD or JFK but have been checking flights within the 1 to 2 week range each day to gauge patterns and it seems many flights with 4 or 5 F remaining will release 0 at 2 weeks. Only flights with all 6 F seats will release 1 at 2 weeks out.

Anyone seeing the same change?
Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
didn't see any posts regarding this:

CX used to release all but 1 F seat on most flights within 14 days...seems that's no longer the case. I'm hoping/waiting for 2 F seats to open up on 12/31 or 1/1 from HKG to ORD or JFK but have been checking flights within the 1 to 2 week range each day to gauge patterns and it seems many flights with 4 or 5 F remaining will release 0 at 2 weeks. Only flights with all 6 F seats will release 1 at 2 weeks out.

Anyone seeing the same change?
Old news. Been this way in the past 6 or 9 months already.

Besides the dates you want are peak travel time. Read the post just above yours and you can understand better how CX operates during peak travel time when they oversell Y and EY cabins.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 9:04 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Happy
Old news. Been this way in the past 6 or 9 months already.

Besides the dates you want are peak travel time. Read the post just above yours and you can understand better how CX operates during peak travel time when they oversell Y and EY cabins.
Thanks for the confirmation!!!

Yes, read that and went to check out expert flyer immediately. Fortunately, still 9 in prem eco and eco.

While it's peak season, I've been able to snag tickets 2 weeks out for the past 3 years...with a bit of flexibility (1 or 2 days), I've always been able to get 2 F seats. But some things aren't meant to last.

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.