Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Seat 2A
How to find out what the meal service will be for a specific Alaska Air flight:
1) On the website, use the "Explore" tab and select "Flight Schedules" from the left-hand side of the drop-down menu.

2) Plug in your city-pair and your week of travel, and the site will pull up all of the Alaska Air flights for that week.

3) Find your flight number on the list. From there you can see what's offered for the meal service. There are two columns corresponding to first class and coach.
A) In first class the codes are (B-breakfast; L-lunch; D-dinner; S-snack).

B) For coach the section may be blank (meaning beverage service and for-purchase cold snack-packs). Or it may show "F" or "F,F" to indicate there are other items for purchase on longer routes like a cheese plate, or in some cases the Beecher's breakfast sandwich or one of the Tom Douglas items.

What *specifically* is offered in first class for B, L, D, or S is the source of much discussion in this thread.
Sometimes a S (snack) will seem more substantial than what's offered as L (lunch). That's where searching this thread can be of assistance.

As near as I can tell for the coach section:
Blank = snack packs only;
"F" = snack packs and cheese plates offered;
"F,F" = snack packs, cheese plate, plus one other item on offer.
Please feel free to edit if that assumption is not correct.

For anyone desiring a more structured or organized submission, here is a template (You'll need to add a / before the last bracketed B as in [/b]):

[B]Date of Flight[B]:
[B]Flight Number and Route flown[B]:
[B]Time of Departure[B]:
[B]Length of flight[B]:
[B]Class of service[B]:
[B]Pre-Departure Beverage service[B]:
[B]Meal served[B]:
[B]Meal Description[B]: .

[B]Additional Comments[B]:
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:53 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Can you all take a minute to send a note specifically about this rice "meal" to Alaska Listens.
Including all vegetarians?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Can you all take a minute to send a note specifically about this rice "meal" to Alaska Listens. If they get a deluge of comments they will have no choice but to address it. If they just get a comment here or there, that "meal" is likely to be flying around for the rest of 2017 on and off. Commenting on here is fine but it's not going to affect change.
Yup, mine's already been sent in. And AS responded and compensated.

The goal is to make this rice dish the most expensive meal they have ever served. If you add the cost of handling the complaints and the cost of the compensation, we'll be well on our way to meeting that goal.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
Can you all take a minute to send a note specifically about this rice "meal" to Alaska Listens. If they get a deluge of comments they will have no choice but to address it. If they just get a comment here or there, that "meal" is likely to be flying around for the rest of 2017 on and off. Commenting on here is fine but it's not going to affect change.
Just did it. Thanks for the suggestion to contact them because I don't want to see that "meal" again...
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
Including all vegetarians?
I fear this is why Alaska is so crappy to vegetarians when it comes to meals. I guess it's impossibly hard to offer a special vegetarian meal that we can reserve days in advance, but other then that it's just a slap in the face when both options are heavy meat based options
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by channa
Yup, mine's already been sent in. And AS responded and compensated.

The goal is to make this rice dish the most expensive meal they have ever served. If you add the cost of handling the complaints and the cost of the compensation, we'll be well on our way to meeting that goal.
Compensated? Do you mind if I asked how much they gave you?? I wonder if they would give that to a vegetarian that wrote in saying that two meat options and zero ability to request a meal a head of time was disappointing. Then I could bring my own meal and not feel like I'm getting screwed by paying exactly the same as everyone else but not being able to eat anything in F....
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by acarney
I fear this is why Alaska is so crappy to vegetarians when it comes to meals. I guess it's impossibly hard to offer a special vegetarian meal that we can reserve days in advance, but other then that it's just a slap in the face when both options are heavy meat based options
It's not hard at all. AA lets you pre-reserve a meal, and one is typically a vegetarian option.

And DL offers special meals on all flights.

Originally Posted by acarney
Compensated? Do you mind if I asked how much they gave you?? I wonder if they would give that to a vegetarian that wrote in saying that two meat options and zero ability to request a meal a head of time was disappointing. Then I could bring my own meal and not feel like I'm getting screwed by paying exactly the same as everyone else but not being able to eat anything in F....
The rice "meal" is not a meal. There was zero protein in it -- meat or otherwise. It was glorified junk food with a vegetable snack -- creamy rice (carb and fat) with vegetables and a breadstick (more carb). It was not a personal preference item, it was that it was simply not adequate food for the fight duration (more than 4 hours, ORD-SEA). That was the gist of the complaint, hence the compensation.

AS policy on special meals is quite clear. They don't do them. If you have dietary restrictions, there are airlines that accommodate that better than AS. That is something you should be aware of when purchasing your ticket.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
[QUOTE=channa;28107811]
The rice "meal" is not a meal. There was zero protein in it -- meat or otherwise. It was glorified junk food with a vegetable snack -- creamy rice (carb and fat) with vegetables and a breadstick (more carb). It was not a personal preference item, it was that it was simply not adequate food for the fight duration (more than 4 hours, ORD-SEA). That was the gist of the complaint, hence the compensation.

I agree.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
The rice "meal" is not a meal.
I truly believe the rice is fused polenta.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:19 pm

It's not hard at all. AA lets you pre-reserve a meal, and one is typically a vegetarian option.

And DL offers special meals on all flights.

AS policy on special meals is quite clear. They don't do them. If you have dietary restrictions, there are airlines that accommodate that better than AS. That is something you should be aware of when purchasing your ticket.
Ya, that was a slightly sarcastic response on my part on why it's so hard for AS to offer it when Delta and the other guys do. I usually fly Delta on paid F instead of AS because of this reason. I also can't understand why they wouldn't try to offer up the F&C plate for no extra fee for a vegetarian customer... at least then they kinda try to find a solution.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: AS
I will add my voice to the request for F & C as a viable option for F.
It solves some of the issues that arise with some passengers.. when chatting with FA in F, many have commented that they would like to get back to the policy of F & C from Y gratis for F passengers.
Hopefully when pre-selecting meals for F comes online, this will be a choice.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:45 am
DUT

Programs: MVPG
Originally Posted by pcoll
I will add my voice to the request for F & C as a viable option for F.
It solves some of the issues that arise with some passengers.. when chatting with FA in F, many have commented that they would like to get back to the policy of F & C from Y gratis for F passengers.
Hopefully when pre-selecting meals for F comes online, this will be a choice.
I'm sure the new meal choices will be "would you like to eat or not"? Here's to wishing us luck on the new meal choice!!!

Last edited by DUT; Mar 31, 2017 at 9:00 am
Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:37 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
On today's 0630 SJC-EWR in first class:

Qu'oats quinoa steel cut oats hot cereal
dried apricots and pecans
plain Greek yogurt with honey

I posted the omelet entree on this flight earlier this week.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:41 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
On today's 1605 EWR-SJC in first class:

Beef Provencal
chive Yukon Gold mashed potatoes
asparagus

Other entree was butter chicken which I posted earlier this week.

For dessert, an almond peach pistachio tart:

Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Flying home from EWR. I'd like to take this opportunity to emphasize that cooked bird seed is still bird seed. Beets and goat cheese on the salad were OK. Chicken was overcooked. The splotch of brown sludge on top didn't help much. Skipped the cheese cake. #WhyIBringSnacks
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:01 pm
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
IAD-SEA

Flew IAD-SEA last night, F had a spinach salad with beets and goat cheese, choice of cod with curry sauce or pesto ravioli, and cheesecake to finish. Snack basket was offered 90 minutes out.

Picture of salad didn't save right, but here's the entree and dessert:

Cheesecake

Last edited by ryandc99; Apr 11, 2017 at 7:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.