Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Seat 2A
How to find out what the meal service will be for a specific Alaska Air flight:
1) On the website, use the "Explore" tab and select "Flight Schedules" from the left-hand side of the drop-down menu.

2) Plug in your city-pair and your week of travel, and the site will pull up all of the Alaska Air flights for that week.

3) Find your flight number on the list. From there you can see what's offered for the meal service. There are two columns corresponding to first class and coach.
A) In first class the codes are (B-breakfast; L-lunch; D-dinner; S-snack).

B) For coach the section may be blank (meaning beverage service and for-purchase cold snack-packs). Or it may show "F" or "F,F" to indicate there are other items for purchase on longer routes like a cheese plate, or in some cases the Beecher's breakfast sandwich or one of the Tom Douglas items.

What *specifically* is offered in first class for B, L, D, or S is the source of much discussion in this thread.
Sometimes a S (snack) will seem more substantial than what's offered as L (lunch). That's where searching this thread can be of assistance.

As near as I can tell for the coach section:
Blank = snack packs only;
"F" = snack packs and cheese plates offered;
"F,F" = snack packs, cheese plate, plus one other item on offer.
Please feel free to edit if that assumption is not correct.

For anyone desiring a more structured or organized submission, here is a template (You'll need to add a / before the last bracketed B as in [/b]):

[B]Date of Flight[B]:
[B]Flight Number and Route flown[B]:
[B]Time of Departure[B]:
[B]Length of flight[B]:
[B]Class of service[B]:
[B]Pre-Departure Beverage service[B]:
[B]Meal served[B]:
[B]Meal Description[B]: .

[B]Additional Comments[B]:
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Date of Flight: March 6th, 2017
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 727 RDU-SEA
Time of Departure: 5:25pm
Length of flight: 5:30
Class of service: First
Pre-Departure Beverage service: Bottled water at seat
Meal served: Dinner
Meal Description: The menu read as follows:

Today's Menu
Curated by Chef Tom Douglas

Salad
Romaine, oven roasted tomatoes, bacon and Parmesan cheese.
Caesar Dressing

ENTREE SELECTIONS

Roasted Chicken with Thyme and Garlic
Sweet onion mustard, bacon vinaigrette braised red cabbage and spaetzle

Orecchiette Primavera Pasta
Pistachio pesto, cherry tomato relish and shredded Parmesan cheese

Dessert
Ghirardelli's Chocolate Brownie with Seattle Chocolates Rainier cherry truffle center

Additional Comments: These were hitherto unknown entreés for me aboard Alaska. This was also the first I'd seen of Chef Douglas' influence in First Class fare. Both meals read deliciously off the menu and although I ordered the chicken, the pasta served across the aisle looked quite good as well. The salad dressing served in the small ramekin was a nice touch. It's nice to see some new entreés come into the cycles. Here's to many more!
And special thanks to Brian for a spectacular job. His service is a credit to Alaska and FA's everywhere. ^
Attached Images    

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 8, 2017 at 7:52 pm
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Date of Flight: March 7th, 2017
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 678 SEA-DEN
Time of Departure: 7:40pm
Length of flight: 2:00
Meal Description: The meal was described by the FA as braised short ribs served atop orecchiette pasta with brocollini.

Additional Comments: For a mere two hour flight, this is about as good as it gets these days. The meat was very flavorful though I wish there'd been a bit more of it. Additionally, the brocollini was surprisingly tender. Overall, a very nice meal.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 10, 2017 at 10:04 am
Old Mar 8, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Seat 2A, that salad on RDU-SEA has got to be one of the best trans con salads I've ever seen.....right up there with the shrimp caesar salad from a year or two ago....although, as we know, bacon makes everything better At first I thought that was corn with the chicken...I like corn, but don't recall ever seeing it served on any airline.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:38 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I like corn, but don't recall ever seeing it served on any airline.
AA has offered corn with red chili onions, truffle corn salsa and corn chowder. DL has offered roasted corn.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
At first I thought that was corn with the chicken...I like corn, but don't recall ever seeing it served on any airline.
Fly American. They love serving corn. Just had it last week (for the fifth time since November!) on CLT-PHX.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
These were hitherto unknown entreés for me aboard Alaska. This was also the first I'd seen of Chef Douglas' influence in First Class fare. Both meals read deliciously off the menu and although I ordered the chicken, the pasta served across the aisle looked quite good as well. The salad dressing served in the small ramekin was a nice touch. It's nice to see some new entreés come into the cycles. Here's to many more!
And special thanks to Brian for a spectacular job. His service is a credit to Alaska and FA's everywhere. ^
I had the same menu on BOS-SEA last week. The chicken was great, as was the salad. I also thought it was interesting that more than half the cabin didn't eat the tomato in the salad. I wonder whether FAs pass that kind of feedback back to the catering department.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: AS100K, AS Lounge+, Marriott Plat, SBUXG, GE, Costco Exec, Amazon Prime, Nat Parks Yearly Pass
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Did you see the granola offering? Was it the same paltry portion size as the one they serve on west coast short hops? I really enjoy it on those short flights but I agree for a transcon it would not be appropriate at all unless backed up with a bread basket, a more sizable fruit side, the yogurt, and maybe even something else like bacon or sausage.
Mrs. the42ndstate had the steel cut oatmeal on the SEA-RDU flight Mar 4. While it was about the same portion size as the granola served on West coast flights, she said the additional dried fruit and nuts were a good addition. Helped to have the snack basket passed around later in the flight.

I had the omelet and bacon, and both were ^^
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I had the same menu on BOS-SEA last week. The chicken was great, as was the salad. I also thought it was interesting that more than half the cabin didn't eat the tomato in the salad. I wonder whether FAs pass that kind of feedback back to the catering department.
Mmmmm. February tomatoes from Logan Organic Farms.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Date of Flight: March 5th, 2017
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 754 SEA-RDU
Time of Departure: 8:30am
Length of flight: 4:20
Meal served: Breakfast
Meal Description: Per the menu:

Additional Comments: The fruit plate was served in one of last year's tapas style dishes. Maybe catering ran out of plates. Let's hope so. I thought the portion was paltry and the presentation poor.

As for the oatmeal, I'll bet there are a few granola heads who'll love the addition of this entree. While I think it's a nice meal, I also think it's an unsuitable entree for a 4.5 hour transcon flight. But that's just me. Who knows, it may be exactly what some people have been writing to Alaska Cares to have added to the menu.

So of course I ordered the omelet. It was every bit as delicious as it looked and the bacon was also exceptional. Overall, a good breakfast with excellent service from our FA.
This is the same meal that was served on AS 286 LAX-HAV although the presentation on my flight was much better. The portions seemed OK to me and the flavors were good.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Date of Flight: March 6th, 2017
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 727 RDU-SEA
Time of Departure: 5:25pm
Length of flight: 5:30
Meal Description: The menu read as follows:

Additional Comments: These were hitherto unknown entreés for me aboard Alaska. This was also the first I'd seen of Chef Douglas' influence in First Class fare. Both meals read deliciously off the menu and although I ordered the chicken, the pasta served across the aisle looked quite good as well. The salad dressing served in the small ramekin was a nice touch. It's nice to see some new entreés come into the cycles. Here's to many more!
We had this meal on AS287 HAV-LAX on 3 8 2017 except dessert, which was a packaged brownie. I honestly thought that this was one of the best meals I have ever had on AS. The flavors were great and I especially loved the Spaetzli. It was lightly fried, the braised cabbage was very flavorful and the chicken was moist. I think the chicken was a thigh.

I was in row 3 and the other option, a vegetarian pasta was already taken by the time they got to me. The FA said that only 4 pasta dishes were catered since it was vegetarian instead of the standard 50/50 split.

No menus were offered but the FA knew exactly what each meal included and made both of them sound very good.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At first I thought that was corn with the chicken...I like corn, but don't recall ever seeing it served on any airline.
Originally Posted by dayone
AA has offered corn with red chili onions, truffle corn salsa and corn chowder. DL has offered roasted corn.
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Fly American. They love serving corn. Just had it last week (for the fifth time since November!) on CLT-PHX.

Just in case there's any confusion, the substance in question was spaetzle or more correctly, spätzle. It is not corn. What is spätzle? It's like German polenta.

No, No! Just kidding!

In truth, it's a type of noodle made from eggs, flour and salt. The style served with my referenced Alaska meal was the knöpfle type of spätzle.

Guten Appetit!
Old Mar 10, 2017, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W
We had this meal on AS287 HAV-LAX on 3 8 2017 except dessert, which was a packaged brownie. I honestly thought that this was one of the best meals I have ever had on AS. The flavors were great and I especially loved the Spaetzli. It was lightly fried, the braised cabbage was very flavorful and the chicken was moist. I think the chicken was a thigh.

I was in row 3 and the other option, a vegetarian pasta was already taken by the time they got to me. The FA said that only 4 pasta dishes were catered since it was vegetarian instead of the standard 50/50 split.

No menus were offered but the FA knew exactly what each meal included and made both of them sound very good.
Man that does look like a nice improvement from AS! I'm also really happy to see a vegetarian offering on there... I hope they start doing that as routine, even if only catering a subset, at least then I can pull at FA over right when I board and try to get them to hold one back for me! (Also interesting to note how quick those went on the flight, it makes it seem at least for this single data point there is either demand for vegetarian or at least not a "dislike" for it... hopefully with enough feedback like that they won't be afraid to have a meal option that doesn't include 40% of the plate covered in meat :P)
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: AS
Just in case there's any confusion, the substance in question was spaetzle or more correctly, spätzle. It is not corn. What is spätzle? It's like German polenta.

No, No! Just kidding!

In truth, it's a type of noodle made from eggs, flour and salt. The style served with my referenced Alaska meal was the knöpfle type of spätzle.

Guten Appetit!
Vielen dank!
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
...I also thought it was interesting that more than half the cabin didn't eat the tomato in the salad. I wonder whether FAs pass that kind of feedback back to the catering department.
When I had that meal on TPA-SEA the tomatoes were so tough that I couldn't eat them.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP
This morning's "Burbank Breakfast" on AS 531.

Same F/A in F as the last time I flew out on a Saturday morning, and I recognized another F/A working coach from a different Burbank flight.

Had Captain Mark who comes out and makes a pre-flight announcement to the whole plane and talks about how he used to fly corporate jets where the VIPs all sat in the back but on Alaska, they fill the plane. I've had him before, I think on SEA-PHX.

Breakfast sandwich is the same I had in December.
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.