Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Seat 2A
How to find out what the meal service will be for a specific Alaska Air flight:
1) On the website, use the "Explore" tab and select "Flight Schedules" from the left-hand side of the drop-down menu.

2) Plug in your city-pair and your week of travel, and the site will pull up all of the Alaska Air flights for that week.

3) Find your flight number on the list. From there you can see what's offered for the meal service. There are two columns corresponding to first class and coach.
A) In first class the codes are (B-breakfast; L-lunch; D-dinner; S-snack).

B) For coach the section may be blank (meaning beverage service and for-purchase cold snack-packs). Or it may show "F" or "F,F" to indicate there are other items for purchase on longer routes like a cheese plate, or in some cases the Beecher's breakfast sandwich or one of the Tom Douglas items.

What *specifically* is offered in first class for B, L, D, or S is the source of much discussion in this thread.
Sometimes a S (snack) will seem more substantial than what's offered as L (lunch). That's where searching this thread can be of assistance.

As near as I can tell for the coach section:
Blank = snack packs only;
"F" = snack packs and cheese plates offered;
"F,F" = snack packs, cheese plate, plus one other item on offer.
Please feel free to edit if that assumption is not correct.

For anyone desiring a more structured or organized submission, here is a template (You'll need to add a / before the last bracketed B as in [/b]):

[B]Date of Flight[B]:
[B]Flight Number and Route flown[B]:
[B]Time of Departure[B]:
[B]Length of flight[B]:
[B]Class of service[B]:
[B]Pre-Departure Beverage service[B]:
[B]Meal served[B]:
[B]Meal Description[B]: .

[B]Additional Comments[B]:
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Date of Flight: 2/7/17
Flight Number and Route flown: AS #794 SEA-ABQ
Time of Departure: 11:45 AM
Length of flight: Approx 2 1/2 hours
Class of service: First

Pre-Departure Beverage service: Nothing except a bottle of water at the seat.

Meal served: Lunch

Meal Description: "A turkey and pastrami sandwich with a side of green bean salad."

Additional Comments: Unlike the meal described by 3ur0tr45h a few posts above, the bottom portion of the ciabatta roll was so soggy that it was not possible to pick it up to eat as a sandwich. My seatmate and I both resorted to using a knife and fork to attempt to cut into the sodden, leaden mass. As I've pointed out in other posts about the many luncheon sandwiches, this, too, was pressed-formed processed turkey-parts rather than being "real" turkey or pastrami.

The side of green bean salad was lightly dressed with a mild vinaigrette with bits of chopped red onion. While it might not be to everyone's taste, I found it satisfactory, and actually liked it better than the processed poultry-product sandwich.

A packaged oatmeal raisin cookie was the dessert which I boycotted - and will continue to boycott - until they bring back chocolate chip cookies.

There was great service from a trainee who was scheduled to graduate from her training the following day, assisted by the lead FA in first. Kudos!
Attached Images  
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: AS
This is the hot Turkey Ciabatta that is served at Costco food court.....
Now we just need to find out the relationship between Costco and Alaska Airlines
( OK, too much conspiracy theory??)

In SEA lounge and they have upgraded some of the snacks and salad offerings.
FINALLY.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:18 pm

Flight Number and Route flown: AS #775 ABQ-SEA
Time of Departure: 4:30 PM

Pre-Departure Beverage service: A bottle of water at the seat.

Meal served: "Snack" (This was actually more like a full dinner.)

Meal Description: "Chicken and ravioli."

Additional Comments: Service was provided by a trainee flight attendant who was scheduled to graduate the next day. She was assisted in F by a very competent senior FA.

The entree consisted of three large, cheese-filled ravioli, topped with a scoop of ratatouille and some slices of roasted chicken. In my opinion, it would have benefitted from a bit more sauce, as the ratatouille was basically chopped veggies without much broth or tomato.

It was accompanied by a warm brown roll with butter, and the typical Alaska Air side salad with a little tub of creamy Italian dressing.

Dessert was an oatmeal raisin cookie that I left untouched. The trainee flight attendant asked why I hadn't eaten it, to which I joked that chocolate chip cookies are the only cookies that should be served. She stopped by a bit later with one of the Ghirardelli chocolates from coach. "I know it's not the same as a chocolate chip cookie, but it *is* chocolate," she proclaimed. That young lady is going to be a fine flight attendant!

Additional, Additional Comments: My seatmate for this journey was an older woman accompanied by an unleashed dog who was not in a carrier. The dog wore an orange and black sweater proclaiming it was a "Harley-Davidson Service Dog." What on earth ... ?

When the dog wasn't in her lap, it was propped on the shared middle armrest/console or - get this - on top of her tray table. That little mutt was no more a "service dog" than *I* am a nuclear scientist ...

But what capped things off was when both she (the passenger) and the dog BOTH ate off of her plate - at the same time. A bite for her, then some for the dog (that sometimes helped itself to food on the plate when she wasn't feeding it from her fork).

Seriously. I write a bit - and I'm pretty good at what I do - but I simply can't make this stuff up ...
Attached Images  
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Flight Number and Route flown: AS #775 ABQ-SEA
Time of Departure: 4:30 PM

Additional, Additional Comments: My seatmate for this journey was an older woman accompanied by an unleashed dog who was not in a carrier. The dog wore an orange and black sweater proclaiming it was a "Harley-Davidson Service Dog." What on earth ... ?

When the dog wasn't in her lap, it was propped on the shared middle armrest/console or - get this - on top of her tray table. That little mutt was no more a "service dog" than *I* am a nuclear scientist ...

But what capped things off was when both she (the passenger) and the dog BOTH ate off of her plate - at the same time. A bite for her, then some for the dog (that sometimes helped itself to food on the plate when she wasn't feeding it from her fork).

Seriously. I write a bit - and I'm pretty good at what I do - but I simply can't make this stuff up ...
Did the dog drag his *** on the table top? Some dogs do that after eating...
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
Flight Number and Route flown: AS #131 PDX-ANC
Length of flight: Approx 3 1/2 hours

Pre-Departure Beverage service: bottle of water

Meal served: lunch

Meal Description: "chicken salad"

Additional Comments: smaller than something that comes out of a vending machine, and worst than dog food, for a decent length flight nonetheless! Given the avg fares to and from ANC, AS has to be raking it in on these routes, yet chooses to treat its so called premium cabin worst than anything I saw with US and UA in their lowest points. And that polite tone from FA's is so annoying. Guys that does not make up for the fact that you choose to not spend even $5 more to get some actual frozen meal entree. Pathetic!!
Attached Images  
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AA PLT, DL GM, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by beckoa
2/6/17 AS241 SJD-LAX
Couscous with vegetables and a chicken skewer.

As many on FT know, I'm fan of food on a stick

Tasty.
Actually, that was Pearl Pasta (not couscous). Had the same thing last night on AS3423 MKE-SEA (15:25/18:10) on an E75.

It was... quite good! Wouldn't have minded a bit more of a serving. Cookie with mine, no chocolate.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by bdhaliwa

Additional Comments: smaller than something that comes out of a vending machine, and worst than dog food, for a decent length flight nonetheless! Given the avg fares to and from ANC, AS has to be raking it in on these routes, yet chooses to treat its so called premium cabin worst than anything I saw with US and UA in their lowest points. And that polite tone from FA's is so annoying. Guys that does not make up for the fact that you choose to not spend even $5 more to get some actual frozen meal entree. Pathetic!!
Yikes, that looks awful. Reminds me of something from one of my mom's "low cal diet" cookbooks from the 80s.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by brizone
Actually, that was Pearl Pasta (not couscous).
I think it's also called Israeli couscous
Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by bdhaliwa

Perhaps the FA should have been rude? I hate it when people are polite too. There's just not enough rudeness in the world anymore. 🙄
Old Feb 10, 2017, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Perhaps the FA should have been rude? I hate it when people are polite too. There's just not enough rudeness in the world anymore. 🙄
+1
Old Feb 11, 2017, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
+1
It bears repeating ... FlyerTalk could benefit from the addition of a "sarcasm font."
Old Feb 11, 2017, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Date of Flight: February 4rd, 2017
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 479 LAX-SEA
Time of Departure: 4:00pm
Length of flight: 2:10
Pre-Departure Beverage service: Bottled water at seat
Meal served: Dinner
Meal Description: The meal was described by the FA simply as chicken with cheese ravioli.

Additional Comments: I thought it was pretty good. There was a decent portion of chicken and the ravioli and ratatouille style sauce was quite tasty. I remember wondering if Virgin America's passengers have it so good on this route...
Attached Images  
Old Feb 11, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Date of Flight: February 10th, 2017
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 719 SEA-BWI
Time of Departure: 8:35am
Length of flight: 4:10
Meal served: Breakfast
Meal Description: Menu cards were at our seats upon boarding. We were offered a choice between a Mediterranean Scramble with Potatoes and Chicken Sausage or Orange Brioche French Toast with Bacon. And syrup.

Additional Comments: With the exception of the dreaded Mexican Fruit Plate, this was another fine meal! Both seatmate and I ordered the Mediterranean Scramble. I was a little worried about the Kalamata olives which I don't care for but they were very finely diced and blended in well with the overall egg dish. There was a decent portion of scrambled eggs and potatoes though I wouldn't have minded just one more sausage. Good job, Alaska! ^
Attached Images   
Old Feb 11, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVPG
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 655 DFW > PDX
Time of Departure: 4.30pm
Meal served: Dinner, I suppose?
Meal Description: "Uh, roast turkey, on sweet potatoes, on onions, with a side salad"

Additional Comments:

Just disgusting. Literally served as a bed of onions with sweet potato mash on top, with a couple of pieces of unbelievably tough turkey on top. Side salad limp and warm. A large proportion of the cabin requested the frankly wonderful-smelling meal from coach.

I haven't flown first on AS in a while, I remember the food offering last year being a strange sort of small plates menu - which was very busy but ultimately different and - IMO - delicious. What on earth happened? I've had far better food in school cafeterias than the slop they're currently serving in so-called first.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by plumduff76
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 655 DFW > PDX
Time of Departure: 4.30pm
Meal served: Dinner, I suppose?
Meal Description: "Uh, roast turkey, on sweet potatoes, on onions, with a side salad"

Additional Comments:

Just disgusting. Literally served as a bed of onions with sweet potato mash on top, with a couple of pieces of unbelievably tough turkey on top. Side salad limp and warm. A large proportion of the cabin requested the frankly wonderful-smelling meal from coach.

I haven't flown first on AS in a while, I remember the food offering last year being a strange sort of small plates menu - which was very busy but ultimately different and - IMO - delicious. What on earth happened? I've had far better food in school cafeterias than the slop they're currently serving in so-called first.
Welcome to Alaska. Often hit and miss food, with a tendency for miss. Sigh. When will they learn?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.