Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Seat 2A
How to find out what the meal service will be for a specific Alaska Air flight:
1) On the website, use the "Explore" tab and select "Flight Schedules" from the left-hand side of the drop-down menu.

2) Plug in your city-pair and your week of travel, and the site will pull up all of the Alaska Air flights for that week.

3) Find your flight number on the list. From there you can see what's offered for the meal service. There are two columns corresponding to first class and coach.
A) In first class the codes are (B-breakfast; L-lunch; D-dinner; S-snack).

B) For coach the section may be blank (meaning beverage service and for-purchase cold snack-packs). Or it may show "F" or "F,F" to indicate there are other items for purchase on longer routes like a cheese plate, or in some cases the Beecher's breakfast sandwich or one of the Tom Douglas items.

What *specifically* is offered in first class for B, L, D, or S is the source of much discussion in this thread.
Sometimes a S (snack) will seem more substantial than what's offered as L (lunch). That's where searching this thread can be of assistance.

As near as I can tell for the coach section:
Blank = snack packs only;
"F" = snack packs and cheese plates offered;
"F,F" = snack packs, cheese plate, plus one other item on offer.
Please feel free to edit if that assumption is not correct.

For anyone desiring a more structured or organized submission, here is a template (You'll need to add a / before the last bracketed B as in [/b]):

[B]Date of Flight[B]:
[B]Flight Number and Route flown[B]:
[B]Time of Departure[B]:
[B]Length of flight[B]:
[B]Class of service[B]:
[B]Pre-Departure Beverage service[B]:
[B]Meal served[B]:
[B]Meal Description[B]: .

[B]Additional Comments[B]:
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2017, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion

Happy New Year from AS374 ~ over Crater Lake, OR

SEA-SMF
Snack
12:05p dep (running 10' late)

Kale bruschetta - a kale based hummus was served with seasoned cherry tomatoes and sourdough toast rounds

Quite tasty actually but measly portion size for a noon hour flight.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:27 pm

12/23/16
LAX-SLC
7:05pm (scheduled - actual = 4 hours late)
Listed as a snack

Chicken skewers with butternut squash hummis, pita bread, some mixed greens and a cup of some sort of olives/beans... not exactly sure what that was. And a little chocolate piece (wrapper under plate) that was really good and I asked for and was given more.

Based on other reviews I read about short-haul flights (only 1:15 from LAX to SLC) I was only expecting a cheese plate. The chicken skewers were a welcome surprise and it was as much food as AA provides as a meal. The chicken, although visibly seasoned, was rather tasteless but not terrible. Not the best airplane food I've had, but it was decent. I'd give it a 7/10.
Attached Images  

Last edited by mxracer95; Jan 3, 2017 at 1:40 pm
Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:29 pm

1/1 PDX-LAX
Lunch (served as dinner due to delays)

That darned tortellini. It was described as having a "pesto sauce" but when it arrived, it was just plain, dry tortellini with absolutely no sauce. The FA said they must have screwed up in catering, and it was pretty bad. My husband and I resorted to dumping the salad dressing on it to make it edible.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
1/1/17 LAS-PDX 10:20am

Snack Service

No PDB. A cheese platter was offered mid-flight.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Happy New Year from AS374 ~ over Crater Lake, OR

SEA-SMF
Snack
12:05p dep (running 10' late)

Kale bruschetta - a kale based hummus was served with seasoned cherry tomatoes and sourdough toast rounds

Quite tasty actually but measly portion size for a noon hour flight.

I would have preferred sourdough toast rounds with a warmed spinach & artichoke dip
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
1/3 PHX-SEA 605p departure: chicken, mashed sweet potatoes, green beans and a side salad. It looked like white meat chicken, too.

This was a scheduled repo flight to get a charter plane back to SEA and the FA said the catering was "all screwed up." Not sure if this is the normal meal or not, since I usually fly the morning flights northbound.

Absolutely excellent crew. Not sure if they were showing off for the charter FAs sitting in PE or not, but they were great. ^

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I would have preferred sourdough toast rounds with a warmed spinach & artichoke dip
A dish that AS has never served in the 25+ years I've flown them.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Sorry about posting this here, but the 2016 thread has been closed. I expect we'll see the meal described herein again as it cycles through in a couple of months.

Date of Flight: December 30, 2016
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 3392 SEA-MKE (Operated by SkyWest)
Time of Departure: 9:10am
Length of flight: 3:00
Class of service: First
Pre-Departure Beverage service: Bottled water doled out just prior to pushback
Meal served: Breakfast
Meal Description: The single option offered was described as a Breakfast Quesadilla. It was accompanied by a nice looking fruit plate and a couple of ramekins filled with guacamole and salsa.

Additional Comments: For a three hour mid-con flight, I was a bit underwhelmed by this meal service. It seemed better suited to a secondary west coast market like PDX-BUR. Typically longer routes get more and better meal offerings but of course this is SkyWest and it's possible the Embraer 175 used to operate this flight may have limited galley facilities.

That said, the tortilla was filled with a reasonably tasty portion of scrambled eggs, cheese and veggies. The guac and salsa were nice additions, and overall my only real complaint is that, like Oliver Twist, I would have liked a bit more food.

Finally, here's wishing a happy and healthy New Year to all with special mention and best wishes for a full recovery to fellow meal reporter extraordinaire AKCuisine.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 5, 2017 at 7:36 pm
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Seat 2A, that does look like a tasty breakfast....the only thing it's missing is some type of breakfast pastry like a bagel or danish....AA has this new fangled thing called a bread basket where you can pick from 2 or 3 different bread-related items ^
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
...AA has this new fangled thing called a bread basket
you mean like the bread baskets that UA and DL have had for, oh, ages?

it's sad that we have to wish for AS catering to be more like AA
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Seat 2A, that does look like a tasty breakfast....the only thing it's missing is some type of breakfast pastry like a bagel or danish....AA has this new fangled thing called a bread basket where you can pick from 2 or 3 different bread-related items ^
As much as I'd like to see some healthier bread options offered on Alaska's flights, I agree that even a Danish would've been a nice addition to this meal. Again, I wonder how much the galley space on the ERJ-175 - which is designed for regional flights - might influence the meal options?

Seattle to Milwaukee checks in at 1690 miles - possibly the longest regional jet flight in the U.S.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
As much as I'd like to see some healthier bread options offered on Alaska's flights, I agree that even a Danish would've been a nice addition to this meal. Again, I wonder how much the galley space on the ERJ-175 - which is designed for regional flights - might influence the meal options?

Seattle to Milwaukee checks in at 1690 miles - possibly the longest regional jet flight in the U.S.
PDX-AUS is a hair longer.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:56 pm

What is AA Eagle serving on similar routes? That would be a better comparison.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:09 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

AA has this new fangled thing called a bread basket where you can pick from 2 or 3 different bread-related items
If by "new," you mean circa 1990.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by mxracer95
12/23/16
LAX-SLC
7:05pm (scheduled - actual = 4 hours late)
Listed as a snack

Chicken skewers with butternut squash hummis, pita bread, some mixed greens and a cup of some sort of olives/beans... not exactly sure what that was. And a little chocolate piece (wrapper under plate) that was really good and I asked for and was given more.

Based on other reviews I read about short-haul flights (only 1:15 from LAX to SLC) I was only expecting a cheese plate. The chicken skewers were a welcome surprise and it was as much food as AA provides as a meal. The chicken, although visibly seasoned, was rather tasteless but not terrible. Not the best airplane food I've had, but it was decent. I'd give it a 7/10.
Would the chicken have tasted better inside the Pita with Hummus and squash as in a Pita Sandwich?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:21 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
SEA-LAX AS472 02/01/17 1445
Pasta dish, salad with vinaigrette, chocolate brownie.
(Everyone else got a bread stick, but somehow I missed out. For the best not to fill up on bread when my next stop was the Qantas F lounge at TBIT.)

Was surprised to see that there's no Amaretto, but hazelnut vodka instead. Is Alaska trying to be unusual, or are they just being cheap? Anyhow, it was an adequate Amaretto stand-in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.