Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refunds for suspended flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:16 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by ClanJ
Have flights booked AKL to LHR for October. Route suspened til 30 June, never know may resume. After 30 June so guess normal cancelation rules apply. Will fly if it has started up by then.
It's been permanently cancelled now. Last flight is 21 March I believe.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Beano
​​​​​​I have two PE tickets Akl to Lhr (NZ2 and NZ1 all the way ) return with pending upgrades to BP. All during the school holiday in July.
i do wish to travel but I wanted to
1: fly that route as it's the quickest
2: most airpoints
3: most SP
4: use my RU upgrades (which would expire if returned)
5: uses the old price 480 airpoints per sector
I suspect if I am offered another route or a credit I would lose the above benefits
Would I be in my rights to ask for a full refund ?

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
I'm in the same boat so AKL-LHR in September booked in PE and upgrades confirmed to J. If they endorse me over to another airline in J I'll be super happy. But otherwise I'll just take a refund of the fare with the RU's and APD's returned and book something else closer to the time
As NZ1 departs from the UK EU261 Article 8 requires they offer you a full cash refund when they cancel the flight. There is no "Extraordinary circumstances" get out for Article 8, only for the compensation part. I know the UK has left the EU but the rules still apply for the moment.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:08 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Where can I find the phone number for the Elite team?

Trying to call the main number doesn’t work as I just get the recorded message and disconnection every time. I’m <48 hours out but no response from social media channels either. I appreciate the call centre is busy, but the inability of the online system to do many actions - like rebooking flights using credits from cancelled flights - needs an urgent IT fix.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by gratn
Where can I find the phone number for the Elite team?

Trying to call the main number doesn’t work as I just get the recorded message and disconnection every time. I’m <48 hours out but no response from social media channels either. I appreciate the call centre is busy, but the inability of the online system to do many actions - like rebooking flights using credits from cancelled flights - needs an urgent IT fix.
The email for credits said details on using will be in coming weeks. They have set up an online cancel & the credits seem to be a year from cancel date opposed year from booking date which is nice.

Having worked in IT this is no time to rush IT. Rushing new systems & processes when already in crisis will just make things worse. Slow & steady and making sure everyone gets sleep, etc right now is important as this is a marathon not a sprint.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:32 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), IHG Spire Elite, Accor ALL Gold
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
It's been permanently cancelled now. Last flight is 21 March I believe.
I don't think LAX to LHR is permanently cancelled yet, all comms from Air NZ says resuming 30 June.

From the comms that have gone out, it appears that LHR base has been closed, which I assume means that NZ will have NZ based crew rostered overnight in LA, and LHR etc instead when services resume on 30 June.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:57 pm

Has Air NZ removed conditions of carriage and their refund policy from their site? Seen it a few days ago and now its gone. google result shows none.

Refund policy used to say if they can't provide an alternative flight due to their cancellation, they will refund.

Found conditions of carriage on AU site #15 : https://www.airnewzealand.com.au/conditions-of-carriage

Last edited by zqsn5678; Mar 20, 2020 at 7:08 pm Reason: typo - if they "can't" provide an alternative flight
Old Mar 20, 2020, 6:54 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zqsn5678
Has Air NZ removed conditions of carriage and their refund policy from their site? Seen it a few days ago and now its gone. google result shows none.

Refund policy used to say if they can provide an alternative flight due to their cancellation, they will refund.
Refund policy used to say if they can provide an alternative flight due to their cancellation, they will NOT refund. Is that what you mean ?
If so
1 :they may provide an alternative flight (same day on another airline) to LHR ?
2 :at the upgraded class or purchased class refunding the RU and airpoints (which would expire and airpoints upgrades which has been devalued)
3:how is the government directives dealt with ? I don't know what they will be as it is 3+ mths
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:11 pm

So trying to get my head around when we can actually get refunds for tickets and not just credit. Who has managed to have this done for flights between April 1st and June 30th? Am I right in thinking as soon as March 31st rolls around and Jacinda prolongs the mandatory 14 day quarantine, etc that AirNZ will be required to update giving full refunds for any international tickets for travel from April 1st to however long the government pushes the date towards? For routes that are already cancelled we should be given refunds because of New Zealand consumer laws correct? Not just flight credit? I was supposed to be flying Auckland-Singapore-Koh Samui return April 21st to April 27th (This flight route is yet to be cancelled so just waiting for Jacinda to update the travel restriction dates). I then had flights May 21st to June 12th booked Auckland to Houston return. Both tickets having BP bookings. I'm really not much of a fan of the idea of AirNZ getting to hold on to thousands of my dollars.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:22 pm

Also is this legit for AirNZ to say. Yes I realize there is a pandemic occurring but that's not the reason they actually have suspended their network. They have actually suspended it due to lack of demand for the services correct.

15.5 When does Air New Zealand issue a credit instead of a refund?

Sometimes the cancellation, failure or misconnection is because of circumstances beyond our control. For example, the following circumstances may be beyond our control: a weather event, public health event (including epidemic / pandemic), airport or facility closures, medical emergencies, strike, terrorist act, governmental, regional or local authority restrictions, change in law. In these cases, you may be entitled to a travel credit instead of a refund, which will be valid for 12 months from the date your Ticket was originally issued (or in certain circumstances an extension may be separately agreed with us). This credit will be for the value of the unused non-refundable part of your Ticket.

We may deduct a reasonable service fee from the credit amount to cover our administration costs.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:45 pm

Noticed that Conditions of Carriage updated couple of days ago, so is that when they added the epidemic/pandemic line?
Old Mar 20, 2020, 8:22 pm

Last post by me I promise. Would anyone by chance have AirNZ old conditions of carriage prior to their updated version on March 18th? Because on their new terms not only do they state the above but they also state this line.

1.5 Can Air New Zealand staff change the terms of the Conditions of Carriage?

No Air New Zealand employee, Agent or other person can vary the terms of these Conditions of Carriage.

I'd just like to see what their previous wordings were and how the previous clause on credit instead of refunding, etc was worded. Surely the terms and conditions from when we bought tickets should be the conditions we are subject to and not new conditions?

I just have a feeling there are hundreds of people such as myself who AirNZ will have thousands of dollars currently in which we might very well not be getting back and I want to know if this is truly legal. Many of us have very tough times ahead and may very well need this money we had previously given AirNZ.
ottiehund likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:51 pm

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
Its all getting a bit confusing IMHO. Have forward bookings 1 suspeneded but the remainder still live for all intents and purposes so really not in the cancel space.
On an other note this reminds a little of the aftermath of 9/11 when travel demand plummented and airlines and tourism took a real hit. It took quite some time for things to return to normal so may provide a window of how things may pan out moving forward.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:01 pm

Some of you people need to get a grip and stop thinking "me me me" so much. The whole world is affected by this, Air New Zealand as a company is obviously struggling, the share price has tanked and they have next to no revenue coming in. If every single person demanded a refund they would go bankrupt and still owe millions and millions.

They are obviously trying to do what is best for the company, the customers and probably New Zealand as a whole, and if that means some precious Gold Elites can't get a refund instead of a credit then to Air NZ I say, pun intended, go for gold.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:09 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Some truths there but also I am a shareholder (so taking a financial caning there) and a customer with over $13k paid to NZ for flights that will not be happening (so taking a financial caning there). I have supported them with provision of equity but don't expect my 'payment in advance' to be in the same category - my $13k would be better used in my own business rather than being retained by the airline just because it seems, at the moment anyway, they can!
Jenky likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:11 pm

What do you expect them to do, just return your $13k? And the next guy? And the next guy? And when all the money is gone, what about the thousands of other people in line wanting their money back? Why not them? Because they didn't ask for their money back quick enough?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.