Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refunds for suspended flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by grapegrower
but due to restrictions, I can not legally board the plane nor enter either country”

And that’s why they should be offering refunds to pax who find themselves in this situation.

To say the flight is not cancelled (and really be only available to Kiwis trying to get home) so they can keep your money, even if in credit, borders on unconscionable conduct.
Why should the airline be on the hook for a pax not being eligible to enter the country the flight is flying to? Prior to COVID-19 and the pax didn't have a visa would have you said the airline should offer the pax a refund? How is now different?
Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:31 am

Programs: ba, NZ*GE, MH platinum
It is my understanding that if you are flying on an airline not based in the EU you can only claim refund for the part of the ticket that originates in the EU.So with a LHR-LAX outbound and LAX-LHR inbound you would not be eligible for a refund. If it was reversed and you had flown LAX-LHR and returning LHR-LAX then the LHR-LAX part would be eligible for a refund.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:08 pm

Just got an email from QF and their credits are for 18 months. Right now for me at least would make credits a lot more palatable. I have a couple of long haul trips and with the money locked up in them would really like more than 12 months of can't get a refund.
Rustydfa likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: NZ*E, BAEC Gold
Cool, Thanks for sharing. Appreciate that!
Old Mar 26, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Why should the airline be on the hook for a pax not being eligible to enter the country the flight is flying to? Prior to COVID-19 and the pax didn't have a visa would have you said the airline should offer the pax a refund? How is now different?
That’s a bit of a silly argument.
Lack of a visa is the passenger’s responsibility.
Not be able to fly at the moment is the result of NZ government policy for which passengers have absolutely no responsibility.
As a result of this policy the NZ government offers Air New Zealand a $NZ900 million bale out.
And despite this, the airline still wants to keep passengers’ money.
Double dipping on an industrial scale.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:35 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
As a result of this policy the NZ government offers Air New Zealand a $NZ900 million bale out.
You mean a $900 million loan (at present, this will probably increase significantly in coming months) that has to be paid back.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 12:55 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Today 4 upcoming long haul flights all disappeared from my app. No surprises there I guess, we all know what is happening after all.
When looking up the booking online I get the message that "We are holding your booking in credit ....".

This is interesting given 2 of my 4 flights are paid business class and are refundable. I would have expected that to have been presented to me at least as an option.
FAQ's clearly state than "non-refundable flights remain non-refundable" - thus it is reasonable to expect that refundable flights will therefore remain refundable?
The other flights are paid PE with RU lodged (which has not, at this stage, been reinstated either).

Also, I have received no communication at all from Air NZ by any channel - telephone, email or via app and that is despite my preferences and contact details are being current and correct.

To date I have respected their call to not telephone them unless flights are within 48 hours, but maybe now I need to do that, although am reluctant to do so as they will be busy (probably chaotic I expect) with cases more urgently requiring attention than mine, and still note under the FAQ's that "there is no rush to contact us ....".

Is this what others are experiencing?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 1:05 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Refund

Originally Posted by ottiehund
Today 4 upcoming long haul flights all disappeared from my app. No surprises there I guess, we all know what is happening after all.
When looking up the booking online I get the message that "We are holding your booking in credit ....".

This is interesting given 2 of my 4 flights are paid business class and are refundable. I would have expected that to have been presented to me at least as an option.
FAQ's clearly state than "non-refundable flights remain non-refundable" - thus it is reasonable to expect that refundable flights will therefore remain refundable?
The other flights are paid PE with RU lodged (which has not, at this stage, been reinstated either).

Also, I have received no communication at all from Air NZ by any channel - telephone, email or via app and that is despite my preferences and contact details are being current and correct.

To date I have respected their call to not telephone them unless flights are within 48 hours, but maybe now I need to do that, although am reluctant to do so as they will be busy (probably chaotic I expect) with cases more urgently requiring attention than mine, and still note under the FAQ's that "there is no rush to contact us ....".

Is this what others are experiencing?
Let us know how you get on with the refund ?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 1:46 am

Programs: NZ *G
I have a question. Is the position on refunds different when payment was made by $APD?

I booked flights AKL-BNE-AKL and paid with $APD (plus cash for the taxes). The flights are now cancelled and there is no outbound option +/-24 hours. I thought that meant I was entitled to a refund, meaning $APD back in my account and a refund of the taxes to my bank account. I was wrong.

I called NZ to cancel, as I had RUs confirmed for the flights and needed them to re-credit too. The call centre told me they can re-credit the RUs but the $APD has to stay as a credit, not a refund to my account. I can also only use this credit on an international flight, not a future domestic flight. If I want the taxes back NZ can cancel the ticket and refund the taxes now, but then I lose the $APD.

This seems bizarre. I appreciate I bought non-refundable flights, but NZ has cancelled the flights (albeit for good reasons), not me, and NZ is not offering any alternative flights to me. I don’t want to be “that guy” when NZ is struggling, but I don’t see how NZ can, at worst, refuse to give me the taxes and hold the $APD as a credit.

Was the call centre correct, or should I just try again another day, or via a different communication channel?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 2:03 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
My flights to SYD next week disappeared from the app and myairnz earlier in the week. No communication about what happened.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 3:01 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG, Aeroplan
That’s a bit of a silly argument.
Lack of a visa is the passenger’s responsibility.
Not be able to fly at the moment is the result of NZ government policy for which passengers have absolutely no responsibility.
I wholeheartedly agree with this argument. I am not a bank or a charity, I don't want future flight credits because it is very unlikely I will fly with air new zealand in the future. I just want a refund of the leg that I did not get to use, not because of my wrong doing but as the result of NZ govt policy. Without covid-19 situation, I was perfectly eligible, i have the visa, i have the ETA. Surely I cannot ask the NZ govt to refund my money..
Old Mar 27, 2020, 3:59 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
The following from website run by MBIE.

https://www.consumerprotection.govt....ations-delays/

“If a flight is cancelled due to mandatory government shutdown airlines are not responsible for providing a resolution or alternate plan for continuation of your journey. However, airlines operating within New Zealand will need to give you a refund unless their terms and conditions expressly provide that you are not entitled to one“.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:17 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ottiehund
The following from website run by MBIE.

https://www.consumerprotection.govt....ations-delays/

“If a flight is cancelled due to mandatory government shutdown airlines are not responsible for providing a resolution or alternate plan for continuation of your journey. However, airlines operating within New Zealand will need to give you a refund unless their terms and conditions expressly provide that you are not entitled to one“.
looked at the site you kindly attached the link to .
its pretty oblivious a cash refund is required
Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by Beano
looked at the site you kindly attached the link to .
its pretty oblivious a cash refund is required
Though can't forget about this part. If you brought a ticket that didn't have a refund option I guess this part kicks in.
However, airlines operating within New Zealand will need to give you a refund unless their terms and conditions expressly provide that you are not entitled to one
Old Mar 27, 2020, 7:40 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG, Aeroplan
Just to give everyone a data point and update to my situation, I called air new zealand directly to the new zealand number and after a 15-min hold, a very friendly and helpful agent picked up my call. I explained my problems, she asked a few questions to understand why I did not board the flight from PPT to AKL and why I missed the AKL-SIN leg. I explained to her that I was told at check-in that I could not transit in Auckland due to NZ govt policy, etc. Long story short, she agreed that I should get a refund for the AKL-SIN part (it was paid Premium Economy and it was refundable ticket), she said it will be processed in 2 weeks time. As for the PPT to AKL that my friend booked for all of us, she also agreed to refund this but it will take longer to process, up to 8 weeks. All in all, she was very helpful and efficient and professional.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.